Why become a member? ×

14 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I like the body contours on that HB. Definitely an improvement on the original Mustang design.

This was corrected in the 70s! My 76 Mustang has very comfortable contours. I guess it's probably a cost cutting exercise.  They can reduce machining time and make more bodies. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

The tonal range delivered by the 'tone' control suggests it has some pan/blend capability. If not, you don't - which seems odd. I've asked Thomann to explain how it works and will post the answer.

And the answer is.... it's just a normal tone control and both pickups are on all the time. I see a 3-way pickup selector switch in the future of this bass. In the meantime, no problem enjoying it for what it is.

• Like 3

So, this short-scale thing.....?

Never owned one until last week, in fact AFAIK I'd never even played one. But then @d_g listed this baby and I really found myself drawn. 

8F874744-019B-4205-869A-96BCC4A14517_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cd2f584b3425254f6d07d03455d1b911.jpeg

OK, I expected to be able to play things more easily, essentially like having larger hands which is nice. But the tone is awesome, full, fat and fast, helped along by buttery flats, Nordies and a rather nice tone circuit. A 60's Motown/70's funk machine, easy to play, looks great and weighs about the same as a bag of Walkers Salt & Vinegar. Only problem is that the neck is so bloody thin and short I'm not sure I will ever habituate fully. But I'm going to give it a damn good try :) 

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Never owned one until last week, in fact AFAIK I'd never even played one. But then @d_g listed this baby and I really found myself drawn. 

8F874744-019B-4205-869A-96BCC4A14517_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cd2f584b3425254f6d07d03455d1b911.jpeg

OK, I expected to be able to play things more easily, essentially like having larger hands which is nice. But the tone is awesome, full, fat and fast, helped along by buttery flats, Nordies and a rather nice tone circuit. A 60's Motown/70's funk machine, easy to play, looks great and weighs about the same as a bag of Walkers Salt & Vinegar. Only problem is that the neck is so bloody thin and short I'm not sure I will ever habituate fully. But I'm going to give it a damn good try :) 

I remember seeing that one, its cool af!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beedster said:

1 minute ago, grayn said:

You'll soon be addicted and ignore those long scale clunkers.

One of us, one of us…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Beedster said:

That's beautiful 😍

• Like 1

I bought a Dano Longhorn when they first reissued , and did not care for the short scale , but after playing it for a while it became comfy , and then I came to prefer it.

I still have a bunch of classic basses I really don’t play much anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Hello and welcome! 

Have a badge

54548B57-E5B5-45D0-8CF3-EF46FFABC0D2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, 2pods said:

After finally adjusting my used Shorty Sterling Stingray the way I like it, I can't stop playing it.

Seriously considering selling off some of the long scales.

Likewise. My Mustang is enjoying a resurgence in my affections in the last couple of days.

I note that shorties are getting a good bit of TV time nowadays, the JMJ Mustang especially (one of the sisters in First Aid Kit uses one and the bass player in Wet Leg used one up until recently too, for instance. Both very much current ‘flavours of the month’).

• Like 2

Bought mine because of a shoulder/arm/hand injury.

Just depends on how treatment goes.

It's certainly not as sore playing the sss at the moment, but if it stays like this I may just keep my fretless and sell the rest.

Prefer to keep them all though :D

My 2 Maruszczyk custom builds barely get played at all these days and my Rob Allen only a bit more. I’m also currently looking at an EUB and, if I acquire one of those and get on with it, the aforementioned 3 may well find themselves on the way out. If that occurs, it means I’ll be playing 30” or 42” scale. Plenty of crossover there, not! :D 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

My 2 Maruszczyk custom builds barely get played at all these days and my Rob Allen only a bit more. I’m also currently looking at an EUB and, if I acquire one of those and get on with it, the aforementioned 3 may well find themselves on the way out. If that occurs, it means I’ll be playing 30” or 42” scale. Plenty of crossover there, not! :D 

Well, that is basically what Stanley Clarke does, so why not...

He seems to be doing quite ok.

• Like 2

Hi there

I play a SWB short scale bass which I bought from Bob who's a member here. I adore my bass and feel so lucky that I have this particular instrument as it feels perfect for me.

I'm after some advice from the short scale clan...

My nephew is 17 and is usually a footballer but he has just had surgery and will be off the pitch for a year. This is a huge blow to him. He's relatively housebound at the moment and I've decided I want to get him a bass for Christmas. He's musical (learned the piano up to Grade 7) and I think he might have some fun learning bass and picking out bass lines for the rock/pop tracks he listens to.

My first thought is to get him a short scale bass as it's easier to handle, especially as he's slightly physically compromised with his leg in a brace. However he's a tall lad and I'm wondering whether he'll be hampered by the short scale neck given that he has big hands (not chunky, but long fingers).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Kate

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KateWantsToPlayBass said:

Hi there

I play a SWB short scale bass which I bought from Bob who's a member here. I adore my bass and feel so lucky that I have this particular instrument as it feels perfect for me.

My nephew is 17 and is usually a footballer but he has just had surgery and will be off the pitch for a year. This is a huge blow to him. He's relatively housebound at the moment and I've decided I want to get him a bass for Christmas. He's musical (learned the piano up to Grade 7) and I think he might have some fun learning bass and picking out bass lines for the rock/pop tracks he listens to.

My first thought is to get him a short scale bass as it's easier to handle, especially as he's slightly physically compromised with his leg in a brace. However he's a tall lad and I'm wondering whether he'll be hampered by the short scale neck given that he has big hands (not chunky, but long fingers).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Kate

Well, Stanley Clarke is a very tall man with pretty huge hands and he prefers short scale electric basses.

In the end though it is still down to personal preferences, much more than it's a matter physics, there are plenty of examples of short people with small hands doing well and prefering playing long scale basses as well, so really no way of telling whether your son will prefer short or regular long scale basses, before he has played both for a while.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

7 minutes ago, KateWantsToPlayBass said:

What are your thoughts?

Personally I’d be looking at long scale instruments, you’ll find a much larger spectrum of styles and tones available at a beginner price.

There are sone excellent short scale instruments at a reasonable price but the variety is limited.

The bonus of a short scale is of course when he’s back on the pitch you can have it as a spare 😄

I don’t think he’d struggle with short scale, he doesn’t know any difference and it’s still larger than a normal guitar.

Find out his musical tastes and take it from there. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KateWantsToPlayBass said:

Hi there

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Kate

I’m 6’ and prefer short scales these days, so I don’t see it being a problem. Shorties like the Mustang and Fallout have elongated bodies so don’t feel as small if you want a compromise.

• Like 2

@KateWantsToPlayBassI agree with everything previous contributors have said but I am wondering about the problem of neck dive with short scale basses. If your nephew has a leg brace, I guess he is going to be sitting to play a lot of the time.  Neck dive can make some shorties awkward to play when sitting. A full size bass tends to balance pretty well when played sitting down. I can’t remember having a full scale bass that neck dived (somebody will prove me wrong).