Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray - Such a love/hate relationship

Linus27

I've had two Musicman Stingray basses. Both 3EQ, both with superb necks but both a total pain in the arse to get a decent sound from. I thought maybe it was just the rig I was playing. It was a Harke 7000 with the Harke alluminium coned 4 x 10XL and 1 x 15XL cabs. Nothing really wrong with the sound but it was just thin, tinny and no balls to it. I put this down to maybe the alluminium cones. The actual tone was pretty nice but it was just thin and weak. However, if I plugged my Fender 77 Precision in, it sounded amazing. Full, punchy, rounded and full of drive. It was like comparing a V8 Mustang to a 1.0 Metro.

However, the Stingray was a total dream to play. A neck to die for and the balance was perfect but I sold her when times were tight. Now move forward 8 years and that memory was not gone and so I bought a new 3EQ Stingray. Again, a dream to play, beautiful balance and a neck to die for. This time, I am playing it through an Ashdown MAG 300H, Ashdown MAG 2 x 10 and 1 x 15. Again though, great tone but the bass is thin and has no balls. I then play my Fender Jazz and its full, smooth and warm. I then play my Lakland Duck Dunn and its fat, powerful, driving and has one set of meaty balls on it. I then go back to the Stingray and its thin and weedy and lacks real punch.

I can't believe its all me or the way my rig is setup as I have found the same conclusion with two very different rigs. If I dial the bass up on the Stingray, it gets fuller but also goes a bit wooly and tends to lose the classic stingray tone. To me this makes it a bit pointless.

I am beginning to wonder if maybe I have the wrong impression of the Stingray. I thought it would be a great rock bass, full sounding, driving but with its own tone. However, it just seems to lack any bottom end and fullness. I'm trying to actually think of any bands that play driving rock/metal/punk that use a Musicman.

Has anyone else found anything similar? I love my Stingray but I can never get the sound I want out of it and I don't really want to start fiddling with changing pickups or using pedals etc.

• Like 2

I had exactly the same problem mate. To play (neck, body, balance etc) my Ray was a dream but there was something about the sound that drove me mad.

In the end I got Jon Shuker to put a passive switch on it and it worked a treat. It sounded lovely, thick and really warm- the way only a passive bass can.

The problem is, I'd fallen out of love with it by then. I now wish I'd kept it a bit longer

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I had a similar problem . . . . .

I yearned for a Stingray when I was young but I could never afford one so I ended up getting a Guild B-301 instead, but thats a different story . . . .

Anyway

Years later When I was all grown up and could afford such luxury as a Musicman Stingray
I bought a used one for £600 I could have cried I was so chuffed . . . .

But

It was a complete dog to play AND get a decent sound out of it ! it had no guts like you said and it just didnt suit the band I was with at the time. I sounded like Flea playing Rock 'n' Roll !

The main thing is that you have to stop boosting the bass and the treble, instead boost those mids and the punch will come through, probably not as much as a P-Bass but its in there, but I decided to sell mine anyway, must have got a duffer !

I'm back with a Guild B-301 and a Rickenbacker 4003 now ! Happy days

I think the thin-middy sound is 'Stingray'. But I've found playing with the eq will help (esp the mid). I don't get the punch bit tho - mine has it in spades, I tend to use the bass where the Precision can get lost because it's indistinct (muddled acoustics etc).

Interesting thread! I'm on my second Stingray, and like the OP I love the feel and playability, but struggle to get a really good sound in the mix.

Don't get me wrong - its not a bad sound, but it just doesn't have the clout of my Shuker or Thumb (or the $$ I used to own, come to that).

I've just bought one of the Musicman three band EQs which John East has designed. The bass and treble controls are meant to replicate a 2 band Stingray when the mids are flat, but with the ability to dial in some mids with a mid and mid sweep control. I've not got it yet, but I'm hoping it will give a bit more clout by dialling in some low mids. I'll post a review once its fitted.

If not, maybe I'll be trading it for a $$ - like the one I sold to buy the 'ray!

WOW, really surprised at the replies here. I was half expecting to be flamed a little. Quite chuffed I am not the only one who has the same feelings. Nothing wrong with the sound at all, but like another poster said, just lacks the guts.

niceguyhomer - what difference did you find between the 2EQ and 3EQ?

I was expecting quite a few no's, am surprised!

My SR5 is fine, just can take a while to play around with sometimes with certain amps.

As for a few users in the sorta genres you have listed, off the top of my head....

Disturbed
Tool (before Wal)
36 Crazyfists
Tim Commerford (early Rage)
The Music

[quote name='Linus27' post='430820' date='Mar 10 2009, 06:20 PM']what difference did you find between the 2EQ and 3EQ?[/quote]

I think there is a difference in the way the EQ works. Others will correct me if I'm worng, but I think the 2EQ is boost only, whereas the three band is normal boost and cut on all three bands.

Having played both, there is, IMO, a subtle but noticeable difference in the sound, although both still sound like Stingrays (if that makes sense!).

Hi all,
I also get frustrated with my 2 band Stingray, love gigging it but cant quite get it to sound the way I want, so usually end up taking something else! I was wondering if one of those Status graphite necks might sort it out? Any ideas/opinions?

I've had a love hate relationship with them as well. They look great and are really nice to play, but for finger style they lack too much mid to my ears - and the mid control on the 3 band isn't enough to compensate. If you have an amp with a lot of eq options you could maybe plug the gap...

Having said all that I know I'll have another one sometime.

I'm very much with you on this.
I've owned half a dozen 'Rays during my playing time and each one handled a dream. Superb build quality and playability. I think you have to couple the sound to certain amps to truely get the benefit of the humbucker. Sounded great through my MB rig. The best I owned was the 30th which has just a beast of a bass!!
However,, since I discovered Sandberg, I've been converted. The P/M combination is just so versatile. Down to just one 'Ray now and that's a 'keeper (wedding present from the Mrs).

It has a very unique sound that definitely is fat, but also 'twangy' like other fender designed guitars. There is LOTS of treble, which comes out in the mix which I think could make people think it sounds thin. But, if the bass player for pendulum uses one it's fat enough for me...

I have a 2 band EQ StingRay and the complete opposite problem. I love the sound and find it really easy to get a tone I like but I find it really hard to play at times. I struggle to get my fingers to where I want them to be on occasion and after a while the neck becomes really tacky so I have to keep it polished (I've heard this is common with early 90's rays). It also weighs a ton. I think my main problem I have is with the neck (the width and the string spacing). Guess I'm just too used to a thinner neck.

EDIT:

I think the bass player from Billy Talent uses a StingRay and the bassist from Hell Is For Heroes uses one I'm sure.

Edited by alexharvay

I've owned 3 Stingrays now and I can only echo most of the comments here. I just love the feel of them. The pickup placement is perfect for me. I rest my thumb on the pickup and I like the extra string tension back there near the bridge. The necks always feel great. I like the unfinished back and you can get the action down really low with no fret rattle.

I like the Stingray sound solo, though it is a bit thin, but in a mix the A, D and particularly the G string just disappear. I tried everything to correct it, different strings, EQ settings, pickup height, compression but never really did, so I always end up back with Fenders.

I've seen this discussed on the Ernie Ball forum and Sterling Ball admitted that the active electronics are voiced to give that sound so I guess a lot of people like it that way, and the ones who don't post in threads like this :)

The fatness in a Stingray is lower than that from a J-bass which itself has lower voiced fatness than a P, whilst the dominant midrange character is voiced higher than that of a J-bass which itself has a higher centre to the midrange thang than a P-bass.

A P-bass thus has an intense thick chunkiness to the sound whilst a Stingray has more depth to the bottom and and then a nastier edgier midrange higher up - RATM's first album is a good example of the tone. A P thunders along the bottom of the mix, above the kick and below where a heavy guitar sound might sit, whilst a Stingray adds fatness below everything and then punches and growls above many guitar sounds.

Alex

Plus one on the disappearing G string! I'm glad someone else has noticed this, and I'm not going selectively deaf.

I have a 3 band EQ Stingray,and it has a very uneven response across the strings compared to any of my other basses. A bit frustrating really, as I enjoy playing it, but it gets left behind when i can choose between basses with a better response.

I have owned a Sterling and a fretless 'Ray and both were sent on their way after a period of time!

The Sterling had a great sound on it's own and was perfect for using in the studio but in the live context it just did not cut through - I changed amps a few times before I realised that it was actually the bass that was causing me the problems! I play mostly jazz/funk so it was supposed to be the bass to have/use but just did not do it for me and I would certainly echo the opinion that some strings cut through a lot more than others - not sure why that happens.

Having said that when I listen back to the slap bass sound on a track that I recorded using the Sterling I do still think, "Man that sounds good!!" (not the playing you understand just the tone!!!)

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='431037' date='Mar 10 2009, 09:45 PM']I've owned 3 Stingrays now and I can only echo most of the comments here. I just love the feel of them. The pickup placement is perfect for me. I rest my thumb on the pickup and I like the extra string tension back there near the bridge. The necks always feel great. I like the unfinished back and you can get the action down really low with no fret rattle.

I like the Stingray sound solo, though it is a bit thin, but in a mix the A, D and particularly the G string just disappear. I tried everything to correct it, different strings, EQ settings, pickup height, compression but never really did, so I always end up back with Fenders.

I've seen this discussed on the Ernie Ball forum and Sterling Ball admitted that the active electronics are voiced to give that sound so I guess a lot of people like it that way, and the ones who don't post in threads like this :)[/quote]