Left leaderboard
JapanAxe

Squier Mini Precision

Ooh...

squier-mini-precision-bass-dakota-red-10

Anyone planning to try one? 28.6in scale, £139 from GAK.

• Like 2

They look funky - my worry would be finding flats that fit. The Harley Benton Shorty is a 30” P and half the price. 

35 minutes ago, therealting said:

They look funky - my worry would be finding flats that fit. The Harley Benton Shorty is a 30” P and half the price. 

I don't know whether 30in strings would fit the Squier.

2 hours ago, therealting said:

If you get one I have a set of LaBella flats that are just a tad too short for a 30" scale P bass, no cost as I got them gifted off here. Can't post until I'm back at work though.

15 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

If you get one I have a set of LaBella flats that are just a tad too short for a 30" scale P bass, no cost as I got them gifted off here. Can't post until I'm back at work though.

I actually have a super shorty that I’ve been looking for flats for for AGES. I’ll pop you a message!

Does anyone know what the nut width is and the string spacing at the bridge?

I have a set of Labella flats on an Ibanez Mikro.  They fitted perfectly.

I’ve ordered one. Get it without VAT from Thomann and I think the shorter scale will be perfect for them. Might also order a mustang too so they’ve got shorties to play with.

Will give a report when it arrives. 

• Like 1

If this was 30" scale I would be all over it , it is just a smidge too short as I have no interest in sub short scales but a 30" Squier P bass would be great

Posted (edited)

I assume this is a cheaper take on the relatively short lived Fender Precision Jr. Bass that has the same scale length, though that only has a volume and no tone knob.

I am quite of tempted to get the black one, as I love my Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro bass that has the same scale length, though an additional J pickup added to the P, as well as 2 more frets.

But I'd likely just stick to my beloved Mikro, which is actually my main bass that I upgraded the pickups on. 

Big fan of short scale basses, and especially these slightly shorter than the regular 30" scale standard for short scales, and I very much welcome more options on the market for those.

The ESP LTD B-4 JR being another of those, that just recently went into production again, after having been discontinued several years back. 

That one kind of tempts me too, having 24 frets, but also just one single P pickup, like the Squier Mimi P Bass.

But honestly if I get another bass of this kind of scale length I would likely end up with just another Ibanez Mikro, one in the Weathered Black finish to be more exact. 

And I guess, just for the sake of having all the options mentioned that I am aware of for this type of scale length basses, there's the Jackson Minion as well, a 22 fret P/J bass, like the Mikro.

All of these being in the lower budget price category, though I would love to see a higher end take of this concept as well. even if I suppose that is unlikely to happen, unless having a custom one made. 

The original Fender Precision Jr. Bass was more of a lower mid priced instrument though. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Posted (edited)
On 15/05/2020 at 23:25, obbm said:

Does anyone know what the nut width is and the string spacing at the bridge?

I have a set of Labella flats on an Ibanez Mikro.  They fitted perfectly.

Nut width of the Squier Mini P is 40,6 mm (1,6"), don't know the width at the bridge for certain, but I strongly assume it would be the same as a standard vintage Fender bridge. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash