Why become a member? ×

Squier Mini Precision

JapanAxe

I find with most 34" scale basses and fender or fender style headstocks with a bbot or similar bridge, that you get some wound string on the E post with most brands of FW strings, I have learnt not to worry about it; I've got LaBellas on my P at the moment and the silk wrap stops exactly at the point the string touches the post, but all the other brands have more string on the post than that, and they are fitted with 2 1/2 to 3 winds on the post. 

Mikro is 726mm, 28.6" scale, I fitted Roto short scale strings, flats and tapewounds, the string was on the E post about 1/3 of a turn, didn't break; the Roto flats have an issue with ringing sharp on initial attack and then settling to pitch, I believe it's a common issue with all their short scale strings, Scott Whitley has previously written about it

• Like 1

If you get one of these basses, give the stock strings a chance.

When I get a new bass, I am usually in a big rush to rip the stock strings off and put on good ones.

But the strings that come with this bass are very good.  Fender nickel steel 45 to 105.   They can do anything.  Definitely not junk strings.  

• Like 1

On 30/08/2020 at 09:53, Aidan63 said:

I find with most 34" scale basses and fender or fender style headstocks with a bbot or similar bridge, that you get some wound string on the E post with most brands of FW strings, I have learnt not to worry about it; I've got LaBellas on my P at the moment and the silk wrap stops exactly at the point the string touches the post, but all the other brands have more string on the post than that, and they are fitted with 2 1/2 to 3 winds on the post. 

Mikro is 726mm, 28.6" scale, I fitted Roto short scale strings, flats and tapewounds, the string was on the E post about 1/3 of a turn, didn't break; the Roto flats have an issue with ringing sharp on initial attack and then settling to pitch, I believe it's a common issue with all their short scale strings, Scott Whitley has previously written about it

Yes, Roto short scale strings are totally useless IMO. I really like their long scale strings though.

16 hours ago, FrankRNY said:

If you get one of these basses, give the stock strings a chance.

When I get a new bass, I am usually in a big rush to rip the stock strings off and put on good ones.

But the strings that come with this bass are very good.  Fender nickel steel 45 to 105.   They can do anything.  Definitely not junk strings.  

Are they long scale? I ask because as far as I know the only short scale strings Fender sell separately are 40-95 (the extremely floppy ones they install on Broncos and everyone seem to hate).

I've never seen any short scale 45-105 strings from Fender. Using long scale strings on a 28.5" bass seems a bit weird to me. I know Fender use long scale strings on the 30" Vintera Mustangs (and it works fine) but on a 28.5" bass? That would leave a LOT of the fully wound strings around the tuning peg. Will it even start to taper off before the part you stick into the tuning peg hole?

I guess it doesn't matter as long as it works. And like you said, Fender NPS rounds are definitely not junk. They're not my personal favorites but very good allrounders, which is probably why Fender install them on everything from Affinity to Custom Shop. As long as it works for you: GREAT!!!👍 Unfortunately I tend to prefer thumpy old school flats on short scale basses, which probably won't be a very good idea with these Mini Ps. At least not unless someone starts offering flats for 28.5" scale.

On 31/08/2020 at 10:19, S.F.Sorrow said:

Are they long scale? I ask because as far as I know the only short scale strings Fender sell separately are 40-95 (the extremely floppy ones they install on Broncos and everyone seem to hate).

I've never seen any short scale 45-105 strings from Fender. Using long scale strings on a 28.5" bass seems a bit weird to me. I know Fender use long scale strings on the 30" Vintera Mustangs (and it works fine) but on a 28.5" bass? That would leave a LOT of the fully wound strings around the tuning peg. Will it even start to taper off before the part you stick into the tuning peg hole?

I guess it doesn't matter as long as it works. And like you said, Fender NPS rounds are definitely not junk. They're not my personal favorites but very good allrounders, which is probably why Fender install them on everything from Affinity to Custom Shop. As long as it works for you: GREAT!!!👍 Unfortunately I tend to prefer thumpy old school flats on short scale basses, which probably won't be a very good idea with these Mini Ps. At least not unless someone starts offering flats for 28.5" scale.

They are not specially sized for the bass.  Yes, they are long scale, cut to size, but with that string, it works fine.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...