Why become a member? ×

I have to get a fender and I dont like them Dohhh

grimbeaver

Hi Guys,
I have never owned or wanted to own a fender J or P After lots of different guitars I have settled on a Warwick $$ and a Gibson Thunderbird through all Eden gear and am very happy.

However.... I have a new project that I am about to join thats a UK punk & pistols tribute and have to have the look as well as the sound. a big white flag covers my beutiful Eden gear so thats ok but I need to get hold of a white fender with black scratch plate.

Having never owned one I am a bit baffled by the whole range USA, chinese, P MIMN???? so what would you recommend?

The Tbird has a slim neck as does the $$ so should I be getting a Jazz? do they look the same, do I get upgraded pickups etc as I couldnt do with a crap sound, I love a new string clanky crisp sound through 10" speakers and only play fingerstyle.

Do I get a lakland or something that looks the same (mega bucks I know)

I know I will get some good advice from you guys so thanks in advance

Get one of these - job done. Squier make great basses for a really decent price. If anyone whinges that it's not a "real" Fender the remind them that you're playing in a punk band!

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326800505"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0326800505[/url]

£230 from GAK brand new...

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-vintage-modified-precisi/71000"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier...d-precisi/71000[/url]

I've tried these and they sound great, giving a nice chunky P tone that will really kick arse through an Eden rig. :)

Edited by rjb

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425807' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:30 AM']I had a look at them and to be honest was concerned that its not active ( I know the t bird is passive) I wanted 2 independant pick ups , it just specs up a bit cheap and nasty[/quote]
well if its the old 70s punk sound you want and the look i'd actually take a look at the squier vintage modified. i've tried one and it may spec up cheap and nasty but its more than a sum of its parts.....

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425807' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:30 AM']I had a look at them and to be honest was concerned that its not active ( I know the t bird is passive) I wanted 2 independant pick ups , it just specs up a bit cheap and nasty[/quote]

If you don't really want it anyway, what's the point in spending heaps on it? That crisp, biting active tone isn't really punk, is it?

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='425823' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:40 AM']I'd Buy a sadowsky pj hybrid

It's got a slim jazz style neck and it will have all the sounds you'll ever need :)[/quote]

Sadowsky in a Punk band? :D [size=1](I do want one)[/size]

I would go with a Squire P bass special in white with a black scratchplate.

Sounds great, there cheap, look the part and if you ever want to sell it I'll have it :rolleyes:

[quote name='Eight' post='425814' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:35 AM']Wow. Spending money on something you never wanted seems a little crazy.[/quote]

Exactly! I can understand the tribute band exception though.

White Jap P bass with black scratchplate and a dash of blood should do the trick.

The Deluxe Active Jazz is pretty good for the money (about £530), I've played mine in punk bands, got a great tone from it. But I'd probably go with a Deluxe Active Precision if it was specifically for punk, then you can use the P-bass pickup on it's own, but the Jazz pickup is there if you need it. And it's also got the Jazz neck. In fact... I want one!

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Deluxe-Active-P-Bass-Special,-Maple~ID~6876.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~F...ple~ID~6876.asp[/url]

No point going for the expensive US models if you're not really into it, but this would make an excellent compromise.

Another vote for the Squier. it looks the part, it will sound the part, its cheap so not a huge investment, and as it may get a few more knocks than a "quiet" gig to me it makes sense.
And it has a great slap tone LOL

Oh, and make sure you dont learn any of the songs before the gigs.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='425848' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:07 AM']And you joined a punk band because...?[/quote]

Because the band I am in are not working for 4 months due to injury and this band needed a temp bass player and I get to go on tour round europe this summer :)

[quote name='RussFM' post='425862' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:19 AM']The Deluxe Active Jazz is pretty good for the money (about £530), I've played mine in punk bands, got a great tone from it. But I'd probably go with a Deluxe Active Precision if it was specifically for punk, then you can use the P-bass pickup on it's own, but the Jazz pickup is there if you need it. And it's also got the Jazz neck. In fact... I want one!

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Deluxe-Active-P-Bass-Special,-Maple~ID~6876.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~F...ple~ID~6876.asp[/url]

No point going for the expensive US models if you're not really into it, but this would make an excellent compromise.[/quote]

thats more like it, thanks

Strange attitude, I must say. You are in a punk tribute band (god knows why such a thing would exist, it would be anathema to a real punk). You want to look like Sid Vicious but sound like Victor Wootten? Ain't gonna work, bud. Can you imagine Victor Wootten sounding like Sid Vicious? It would be ridiculous. You don't need to upgrade anything.

Do the job properly. Get a new USA Standard Fender P or an old Jap Squier P - they both play great and sound the part. Bin the Eden too and get a dirty old Marshall.

Your playing style will need to change too. No fingerstyle for you, pick only.

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425869' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:27 AM']Because the band I am in are not working for 4 months due to injury and this band needed a temp bass player and I get to go on tour round europe this summer :)[/quote]

Sounds good enough to me, Have fun.

I seem to recall a thread on here recently about a shop in Denmark st actually having Sid's bass. Now that would cool although personally i wouldn't bother.
Then again, Matlock didn't play a white one.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='The Funk' post='425861' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:19 AM']Exactly! I can understand the tribute band exception though.[/quote]
Yeah, I kinda see that one. You've not got much choice there - but then, you probably wouldn't be in the tribute band if you didn't want to look just like them and play the same gear.

I relate every purchase to the hours spent in my sh*tty office. So irrespective of how superficial my choices, I never want to sit and think, "god I worked for two days to buy that and I don't even like it".

[quote name='silddx' post='425874' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:32 AM']Do the job properly. Get a new USA Standard Fender P or an old Jap Squier P - they both play great and sound the part. Bin the Eden too and get a dirty old Marshall.[/quote]

Surely nothing is *less* punk than buying a Fender just to fit in?

[quote name='silddx' post='425874' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:32 AM']Strange attitude, I must say. You are in a punk tribute band (god knows why such a thing would exist, it would be anathema to a real punk). You want to look like Sid Vicious but sound like Victor Wootten? Ain't gonna work, bud. Can you imagine Victor Wootten sounding like Sid Vicious? It would be ridiculous. You don't need to upgrade anything.

Do the job properly. Get a new USA Standard Fender P or an old Jap Squier P - they both play great and sound the part. Bin the Eden too and get a dirty old Marshall.

Your playing style will need to change too. No fingerstyle for you, pick only.[/quote]

Sid wasn't the Pistols' bass player. Glen Matlock was, and he played fingerstyle on Precisions and Rickenbackers.