Why become a member? ×

I have to get a fender and I dont like them Dohhh

grimbeaver

[quote name='silddx' post='425874' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:32 AM']Strange attitude, I must say. You are in a punk tribute band (god knows why such a thing would exist, it would be anathema to a real punk). You want to look like Sid Vicious but sound like Victor Wootten? Ain't gonna work, bud. Can you imagine Victor Wootten sounding like Sid Vicious? It would be ridiculous. You don't need to upgrade anything.

Do the job properly. Get a new USA Standard Fender P or an old Jap Squier P - they both play great and sound the part. Bin the Eden too and get a dirty old Marshall.

Your playing style will need to change too. No fingerstyle for you, pick only.[/quote]

I dont aspire or ever want to sound like wootten thanks.

Having a quality set up means reliability, tone control, and the flexibility to adapt to any venue, Mattlock who insists on using Fender rumble amps or ampeg is still playing for the pistols and he plays fingerstyle.

With quality gear you are prepaired for all situations and you can "dirty" your sound as much as you like from that base

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='425895' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:44 AM']The Pistols were one of the most plastic punk bands of all.

I still like 'em, though.[/quote]

They were? I thought they invented [the UK version of] it...they certainly didn't dress fashionably at the start, it was the audiences that created the uniform of mohawk and leather. What's plastic about Never Mind the Bollocks?

Plastic punks: UK subs, The Clash, Discharge... (runs for cover...)

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425900' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:47 AM']I dont aspire or ever want to sound like wootten thanks.

Having a quality set up means reliability, tone control, and the flexibility to adapt to any venue, Mattlock who insists on using Fender rumble amps or ampeg is still playing for the pistols and he plays fingerstyle.

With quality gear you are prepaired for all situations and you can "dirty" your sound as much as you like from that base[/quote]

No one will care what you have, a Squier will give you the sound and look you want without spending silly money on something you don't like.

[quote name='bremen' post='425906' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:52 AM']They were? I thought they invented [the UK version of] it...they certainly didn't dress fashionably at the start, it was the audiences that created the uniform of mohawk and leather. What's plastic about Never Mind the Bollocks?

Plastic punks: UK subs, The Clash, Discharge... (runs for cover...)[/quote]

Most UK bands from the 70's were more about look than substance.

Bit of a dilema, I can understand your concern in not wanting to shell out for something you're not into.....keep it cheap I reckon, doesn't have to be Fender...maybe a decent P bass copy will do the job.....I haven't a clue about punk but Sid V did have a rather cool P bass :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='425910' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:55 AM']Most UK bands from the 70's were more about look than substance.[/quote]

I agree, but to me the Pistols were one of the few that had a f*** of a lot of substance and still sound exciting and dangerous, while most punk albums of the era just sound silly.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='425915' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:59 AM']The brilliant production? The meticulously layered guitars?

It sounds great, but it's not the sound of four scrotes playing in a garage.[/quote]

That's not what I thought was meant by 'plastic'. Yes, it's as produced as Dark Side of the Moon. To me 'plastic' means 'imitation'.

Fenders can be excellent basses if you can get a good one. There's plenty of decent suggestions made, especially the Squier VM series which i'm gutted aren't left handed.

As Pauline Calf once said, "if you like it, try it. If you don't like it, try it - you might like it"

:)

At the time it was perfect, it was the opposit of disco and the music of the time, the clothing was about shocking our parents and peers and rebelling from the norm (just the same way the hippys did it before them) the music was just loud, noisy and full of swearing and the pistols were just perfect for that purpose. They looked shocking, sounded shocking etc.

I bet going to a pistols gig in 76 was more about the excitement of doing something bad, not telling your parents where you were going, lots of scarey people, dressing up, etc than listening to the music.

It was a fashion at the time,

I hated rock and roll music and still do, it was just the fasion at the time, I hated hippy stuff as well, but in my teens punk was in, my parents were pulling there hair out when I was getting dressed as a punk and I loved it. I expect the next generation who were into poodle rock or grunge will probably hate punk.

You had to be there

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425900' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:47 AM']I dont aspire or ever want to sound like wootten thanks.

With quality gear you are prepaired for all situations and you can "dirty" your sound as much as you like from that base[/quote]

It sounds like you have a pretty fixed idea in your head, so why are you asking us for advice then disagreeing with everything which doesn't fit in with your stated opinion above?

I'll also go out on a limb and suggest that this thread is starting to take on a whiff of gear snobbery.

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/product2409.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/product2409.html[/url]

With shipping works out about £140 and you need to factor in another £20/£30 import tax.

P.

EDIT: Well SOMEONE had to suggest SX! :)

Edited by paul h

[quote name='Eight' post='425882' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:35 AM']Surely nothing is *less* punk than buying a Fender just to fit in?[/quote]

I think to be authentic you have to go and steal a fender. Buying is soooooo "normal"

My copy of Never mind was plastic. And black.

[quote name='paul h' post='425927' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:10 AM'][url="http://www.rondomusic.com/product2409.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/product2409.html[/url]

With shipping works out about £140 and you need to factor in another £20/£30 import tax.

P.

EDIT: Well SOMEONE had to suggest SX! :)[/quote]

SX's are awesome I gig mine over my Fender now.

[quote]You had to be there[/quote]

You say it like it doesn't happen anymore.

I think your mind has been made up for you. You've joined a Pistols tribute band and they've asked you to look the part - that basically means a Precision or maybe a Rickenbacker. A jazz isn't going to look the part. As it's a tribute band this could be a deal breaker, so do you want the gig or not?

If you really want actives you can retro fit them, but if it were me I'd bite the bullet and get a white P bass second hand at a decent price and sell it on after for the same price. I think you have to have a word with the band before shelling out on anything else which may lose you the gig. If they're happy with a Sadowsky, Thunderbird or anything else then fine - if not a cheap Precision it is.

[quote name='neepheid' post='425925' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:09 AM']It sounds like you have a pretty fixed idea in your head, so why are you asking us for advice then disagreeing with everything which doesn't fit in with your stated opinion above?

I'll also go out on a limb and suggest that this thread is starting to take on a whiff of gear snobbery.[/quote]

I didnt ask for any input into cabs or amps I simply asked advice on what fender to get as I dont have a clue about them. I know what sound I would like to achieve but dont know what model to get.

I'll also go out on a limb and say you must have gear paranoia or something to have suggested the above