Why become a member? ×

I have to get a fender and I dont like them Dohhh

grimbeaver

Try one of the new 2009 Mexican Fender Jazz or P Basses, they are fantastic! They sound and feel as good as if not better than an American Fender for about half the money. Fender realised that people really like the 60's style neck so they redesigned the new basses, got rid of that crappy S1 switch and gave them all a really nice stock setup. The hardware seems to be a lot less "budget" aswell. I've played about 4 of them in various different music shops now and they are just stunning, I just can't justify buying one with my wedding just round the corner (he says while weighing up whether it's worth being castrated or not! :))

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='425954' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:26 AM']I think they will know what the bass looks like but I doubt they will care who it was made by.[/quote]

+1

Something like a Warwick really wouldn't fit the part.

Surely the most basic P bass style instrument would do the trick, as long as it's playable. Doesn't need a 3 band EQ or some fancy materials.

Wow, there is some crazy sh*t going on in here.

Get a white P bass, Squire, MIM, MIJ, US.. copy.. whatever (battered around a bit is better). If it doesn't say fender on the headstock, then scratch what's on there off and marker pen FENDER on it. You're a step on the way then.

Volume and crunch is what you need, not loadsa diverse sounds, maybe roll off the treble sometimes for some Clash. Just go big and arsey with your sound.

As for most punk bands in the '70s having little substance.. meh, there were some FANTASTIC bands out there that came from that 1st gen punk explosion, with more depth and imagination than many realise. (But yes, there was some utter sh!te too).

Oh and doesn't Matlock use Laney now? Some big tube bugger anyhoo.

And anyway, dressing up like a total knob was half the fun too! :)

Are we talking a properly done Sex Pistols tribute here or just a generic punk band with maybe more than a nod in the pistols direction?
If so then i dont actually see why it has to be a white P, there weren't that many players around using them.

Edited by dave_bass5

Just to put all of this to bed I am going to get a squier vintage modified P that second hand will cost me about£150.00
and will change the pickup.

If the dep job goes on a little longer and I am into it I will look again at possibly the fender delux or something.

Thanks to everyone that chipped in and to the people that started having a go about gear snobbery.

As Steve Jones said to Bill Grundy f£$k off you dirty f£$%&rs, you c£$t

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425981' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:41 AM']Just to put all of this to bed I am going to get a squier vintage modified P that second hand will cost me about£150.00

If the dep job goes on a little longer and I am into it I will look again at possibly the fender delux or something.

Thanks to everyone that chipped in and to the people that started having a go about gear snobbery.

As Steve Jones said to Bill Grundy f£$k off you dirty f£$%&rs, you c£$t[/quote]

Wise move and well said.

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425981' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:41 AM']Just to put all of this to bed I am going to get a squier vintage modified P that second hand will cost me about£150.00

As Steve Jones said to Bill Grundy f£$k off you dirty f£$%&rs, you c£$t[/quote]

Good plan.

Are you looking for a tribute Bill Grundy to complement the act?

I'll see you later. I hope not to see *you* again ;-)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='425999' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:55 AM']The classic 70s style logo would be a must. To get this I would look at a highway1 Precision (latest version) or a MIJ 70s reissue. Or alternatively a Squier and a dodgy 70s style logo transfer from ebay.[/quote]

+1
Gotta have the big logo and a dodgy Ebay one (or do your own) is a great option.

[quote name='Marky L' post='426008' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:02 PM']+1
Gotta have the big logo and a dodgy Ebay one (or do your own) is a great option.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30309&hl=fecker+jizz"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=fecker+jizz[/url]

[quote name='bremen' post='425889' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:39 AM']Sid wasn't the Pistols' bass player. Glen Matlock was, and he played fingerstyle on Precisions and Rickenbackers.[/quote]

Actually, he was the muso of the group and a bit "square". They made his life rather difficult actually (giving him semen sandwiches to eat, for instance), and he left, or was pushed.

The Pistols was a business venture, and all about John Lydon and his backing band. Sid was a bit of an anachronism.

Anyway, if the OP is being told to get a Fender P, it will be Sid the band want.

[quote name='silddx' post='426047' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:31 PM']Actually, he was the muso of the group and a bit "square". They made his life rather difficult actually (giving him semen sandwiches to eat, for instance), and he left, or was pushed.

The Pistols was a business venture, and all about John Lydon and his backing band. Sid was a bit of an anachronism.

Anyway, if the OP is being told to get a Fender P, it will be Sid the band want.[/quote]

Malcolm McLaren's version and J. Lydon's version are quite contradictory aren't they!

Compare and contrast The Great Rock and Roll Swindle and The Filth and the Fury.

Lydon's book No Blacks No Dogs No Irish is a good read too. That's where I heard the 'sp**k baguette' story. I thought it pretty funny when Matlock rejoined, assuming that he'd read the book ;-)

I guess to most people Sid was the bass player, right enough, so yeah it's got to be a white Fender P. Played by a very pale skinny bloke with a sneer and a moronic public image.

[quote name='bremen' post='426061' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:38 PM']Malcolm McLaren's version and J. Lydon's version are quite contradictory aren't they!

Compare and contrast The Great Rock and Roll Swindle and The Filth and the Fury.

Lydon's book No Blacks No Dogs No Irish is a good read too. That's where I heard the 'sp**k baguette' story. I thought it pretty funny when Matlock rejoined, assuming that he'd read the book ;-)

I guess to most people Sid was the bass player, right enough, so yeah it's got to be a white Fender P. Played by a very pale skinny bloke with a sneer and a moronic public image.[/quote]

This sid has put a few lbs on :) and I aint eating bob monk buttys for no man !! :rolleyes:

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425807' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:30 AM']I had a look at them and to be honest was concerned that its not active ( I know the t bird is passive) I wanted 2 independant pick ups , it just specs up a bit cheap and nasty[/quote]

Sounds like gear snobbery to me, sorry.

A P is out if you want two pups.

I reckon you are doing this gig purely for the monay. So I think your decision to get a VMP is a good one. You are depping, do what you're told. It's a job.

I'm not having a go, I'm not f*ckin rotter or a dirty c*nt either.

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='426066' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:41 PM']This sid has put a few lbs on :) and I aint eating bob monk buttys for no man !! :rolleyes:[/quote]
:D

[quote]I'm not having a go, I'm not f*ckin rotter or a dirty c*nt either.[/quote]
;) :lol:

[quote name='yorick' post='425827' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:49 AM']Looks like you'll have to compromise!!! How many original punk bass players used active basses????? :rolleyes:[/quote]

correct... I used a beat up old clunker '69 Fender P-Bass that I hand painted myself to gloss white as I couldn't afford a brand new Fender :)

and before anyone call sacrilege... this was back in 78 and beat up old '69s were easily available and cheap... not only that I got mine for free. Was given me by my cousin as he'd lost interest.

[quote name='Tee' post='425936' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:14 AM'][attachment=21492:Image033.jpg]

Olympic white P's with black scratch plates. Me like. Here are my two US Ps[/quote]

They look so yummy. Really falling in love with white precisions with black scratchplate. Must resist.

[quote name='Linus27' post='426111' date='Mar 5 2009, 01:06 PM']They look so yummy. Really falling in love with white precisions with black scratchplate. Must resist.[/quote]

LOL. You and your black scratch plates.

I agree though. Black and white look fantastic.