Why become a member? ×

What do people think of Peavey?

sirmontofgue

I used to use Peavey gear and am ashamed but man enough to admit that I only moved it on out of brand snobbery.

However, at the time, I thought my 410TX sounded better than a Trace Elliot 1048H and SWR Goliath and Hartke Transporter. The thing I could never get on with was the weight.

There are a few short comings. My 410TX had sharp edges to the grill that tore a couple of pairs of jeans. There's also no protection circuit for the tweeter, so if you turn it up too high and send a particularly juicy signal through it you'll get a nice burning sound.

Watch the power rating of the 410 - from memory it's 300 watts rms, and if it's a 4 ohm cab the max700 will deliver 450 watts. If it's an 8 ohm cab you should be ok.

I love the bottom end of the 410tvx, it's great for the low b on a 5 string.

I also use an ebs neo 2x10 as it's so much lighter and is fine for smaller gigs - the 410 is a monster to carry around. Really want a neo 410, just can't afford one.

I recently heard a band with an epfani 410 which sounded great, and two guys lifted it over their heads at the end of the gig - they wouldn't have done that with the peavey.

Enjoy the kit - it's great for the money.

Edited by martinbass7750

[quote name='G-bitch' post='45899' date='Aug 15 2007, 04:10 PM']+1001
I really want to pick one of those up as a back-up, they should go cheap as chips nowadays but they aren't that common.[/quote]

So how much are you prepared to offer for one of these rare beasts?

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='63823' date='Sep 21 2007, 08:37 PM']Watch the power rating of the 410 - from memory it's 300 watts rms, and if it's a 4 ohm cab the max700 will deliver 450 watts. If it's an 8 ohm cab you should be ok.[/quote]

You'll be fine either way. If you're not grossly abusing it then a 300W cab will work well with amps rated from 150W to 600W. Less than 150W and you're losing out on more SPL. More than 600W and you're running more into the realms of power compression and getting few extra dB SPL for your watt (and £ & lb).

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='64573' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:26 AM']i have never managed to make a peavey rig i have used sound nice to my ears. but then thats just my ears[/quote]

+1

In their defence I think every practice space I've ever been in has had a majority of Peavey bass gear. It's only for two reasons:-

1) Its very cheap for what you get
2) It tends to just keep going

Its not the best sounding, but by gum can you thrash the n*ts off it for ever.

• 3 years later...

IMO go for it. Peavey bass amps (particularly the TNT stuff) are the 'ford mondeo' of the bass world. They're not likely to ever set the world on fire, and might be considered a bit bland, but they'll run forever and with some careful setting can sound really good. They're pretty much bombproof too.