Why become a member? ×

Danny Thompson

Steve A

Funnily enough just a few mins before coming across your post I was chatting to Jon Thorne (Lamb bassist) and he was telling me of an album he has just recorded with Danny due out soon. Reckon that'll be worth a listen, also any of his work with John Martyn (who sadly died recently) I believe he has also collaborated with some of the folk artists, not sure which though.
Jake

Hah hah.. where to start? :rolleyes:
Tons of albums exist featuring DT's instantly identifiable tone, but good starts are
anything by The Pentangle - Basket of Light was the album that got me into folk music!
Richard Thompson and Danny Thompson - quite a few live ones around, also check out Industry and The Old Kit Bag and so many more
Darrell Scott - Live In NC is one of my constant top favourite albums.
of course, any of the Whatever albums - DT's own jazz line up all albums recommended
John Martyn - some ace live albums.
The list goes on.. just wait 'til everyone wakes up tomorrow!

If you catch DT live, he may have some copies left of his video cassette 'Bassically Speaking' which is more of an observation on bass playing rather than a how-to-play vid. A truly interesting watch.

Just everything - the man is a superb bassist. Yes, he can do the technoflash, but most of the time he just chooses the right notes to make you melt inside!

As you can probably tell, I like Danny Thompson! :)
HUGH

Danny Thompson has appeared on about the last 7 or 8 Richard Thompson albums. He has also been his main live player sice about the mid 90's. Some Thompson albums can be more electric than others if you know what I mean. Mirror Blue is a great mix and more bass fuelled album. Albums like Mock Tudor and Old kit bag more pop driven, if you could say that. Stuff like You, Me, Us??? and front parlour ballads a bit more self indulgent. Pre 90's stuff from memory will probably have Peggy on them. One thing for sure is that there is not one bad album in the whole of the RT collection. Enjoy.

Last time I saw Thompson who was using a big line 6 combo.

There's some lovely, understated playing by Danny on Talk Talk's 'Spirit of Eden'.
He was pretty much the session DB player of choice for serious pop/rock bands during the 80s (Talk Talk, Everything but the girl, Kate Bush etc. etc. ) so almost any track with double bass by a major artist at that time probably had Danny Thompson playing.

Full discography [url="http://www.therealdannythompson.co.uk/Discography.html"]here.[/url]

I was lucky enough to meet Danny and have a wee chat with him at last years' Green Man festival - he was really friendly and open, despite the fact that I was completly awestruck and was probably gibbering like a moron.

I make no aplogies for posting [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmSPv-rtSQ"]this[/url] for the umpteenth time.... This is the track that turned me on to Danny Thompson and got me playing double bass. Beautiful phrasing and expression and a truly tasteful solo. Lovely.

Check out Danny's bass face at 4:13...... :)

Edited by TheRev

All of the above.... did anyone mention Pentangle?
But if you want to go right back, Danny Thompson recorded a lot with Alexis Korner in the 60's. Even then he had an incredible tone and drive to his playing. If you can get on with Alexis’s style of blues then you'll hear Thompson and drummer Terry Cox really cooking.

Thanks to the Rev and others in the thread for tuning me in to DT. I know of him, of course, and his awsome reputation but I've been so buried in jazz that I haven't really studied his stuff in the detail that I shall be doing now. The message of course is that technique doesn't equal busy-ness. From the few clips that I've seen here his playing is sparing but every note counts. And his sound, like all good players, comes from his right hand.

I'm just off to practice my bass face for Sunday's gig.

[quote name='bassace' post='424926' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:49 AM']Thanks to the Rev and others in the thread for tuning me in to DT. I know of him, of course, and his awsome reputation but I've been so buried in jazz that I haven't really studied his stuff in the detail that I shall be doing now. The message of course is that technique doesn't equal busy-ness. From the few clips that I've seen here his playing is sparing but every note counts. And his sound, like all good players, comes from his right hand.

I'm just off to practice my bass face for Sunday's gig.[/quote]
So you do Bass Face too? Excellent :)

[quote name='bassace' post='424926' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:49 AM']Thanks to the Rev and others in the thread for tuning me in to DT. I know of him, of course, and his awsome reputation but I've been so buried in jazz that I haven't really studied his stuff in the detail that I shall be doing now. The message of course is that technique doesn't equal busy-ness. From the few clips that I've seen here his playing is sparing but every note counts. And his sound, like all good players, comes from his right hand.

I'm just off to practice my bass face for Sunday's gig.[/quote]
+1 to the hand! I had an informal lesson with DT a couple of years ago, and got a go on Victoria!!!!!! An amazing instrument, but I couldn't make her sound like Danny works it. Then he played mine - now I know I don't need another bass, just a whole lot of practice and playing. :)

[quote name='bassace' post='424926' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:49 AM']From the few clips that I've seen here his playing is sparing but every note counts.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more! If I hadn't got into Danny's 'less is more' style I'd never have started playing double bass. Walking modal bass lines? Too many notes man....

Having said that, there's a couple of tracks on his Myspace page that are your more regular jazz style bass playing.