Why become a member? ×

RK7's Overwater Chambering

rk7

8 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Superb and utterly professional job :)

I took the time to fully read through the thread rather than dip in and out and every aspect - starting with your own judgement, @rk7 , that playing this bass was more important to you than leaving it in its original form to the stunning quality of work - fills me with awe and admiration.

Best modification job I've ever seen and, in my view, the only one I have seen that breaks the rule I always caution enquirers that "all mods reduce resale value".  I have no doubt in my own mind that this has actually enhanced the value, not that this matters as it's clearly and rightly a keeper.

Over coffee, I'm going to read the whole thing again, if not simply for the perfection of that heel recarve!

Hey Andy!

I was hoping this thread would catch your eye. I follow your activities on here, so I thought this one may be right up your street 😊😊

Martin did a simply amazing job for me, no doubt about that. He is a real artisan, and a very close friend, which probably helped a bit. On one of my many Hospital visits, he walked onto the ward for visiting time with the one and only Phil Mann behind him. Phil had been visiting the OW workshop and came along to visit me. I was blown away. Good friends mean so much.

I also enjoyed my small involvement along with Martin in the early days of the modification. All the key work though, came from Martin, but I should also mention Chris and Kirstie again, as the job was only agreed upon following their backing. Clearly the players experience is something that Overwater take seriously, and to see me unable to play the instrument didn't sit well with them.

This bass was always meant to be played, despite its price tag, and it is definitely a working bass. I am happier now with the tone of the bass than I have ever been.Incidentally, on the subject of the heel recharge, Martin also contoured the rear of the top horn for me, as part of the chambering project, as the bass wasn't fitting my chest as well as it had following my cardiac adventure.

Someone mentioned in a comment that you had done a chambering thread for someone? Could you send me a link please, I'd like a read 😊

Thank you for your kind comments

Robin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I love these kind of stories, congratz to RK7 for the getting the bass he wants despite everything that came at him!

Thank you for your kind words, its been a difficult few years

RK

• Like 1

5 hours ago, White Cloud said:

The thing that gets me is that I felt the need to move my favourite bass on last year because I couldn't live with the weight (10.8lbs) anymore ... an Overerwater Progress 5 string. 

A - I never thought of this solution

B - If I had I'd never have thought OW would entertain it.

#:-(

A -The solution only came to me as I had called in to visit Martin one day and he showed me two Perception basses with completed woodwork, one of which was chambered and one wasn't. The weight difference was simply astonishing.

B - Yes, but as I've mentioned before, I am close to all the guys at Overwater, so perhaps that made them look on my request more favourably. They are, however, very much player-focused anyway, so exemplary post-sale support features heavily for them.

Sorry about your bass, by the way. Perhaps order another? 😁

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, rk7 said:

Someone mentioned in a comment that you had done a chambering thread for someone? Could you send me a link please, I'd like a read 😊

Well that's a bit like, after you've let me look at your Aston Martin, you saying, "Hey Andy.  I understand you got a new moped recently - can I have a look?" xD

As long as you PROMISE never to show this to Martin...

Well...you did ask!

Andy ;)

27 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well that's a bit like, after you've let me look at your Aston Martin, you saying, "Hey Andy.  I understand you got a new moped recently - can I have a look?" xD

As long as you PROMISE never to show this to Martin...

Well...you did ask!

Andy ;)

Never mind Aston Martins and Mopeds, its so good to see instruments being converted to allow them to still be played. Fantastic job Andy

Robin

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Superb and utterly professional job :)

I took the time to fully read through the thread rather than dip in and out and every aspect - starting with your own judgement, @rk7 , that playing this bass was more important to you than leaving it in its original form to the stunning quality of work - fills me with awe and admiration.

Best modification job I've ever seen and, in my view, the only one I have seen that breaks the rule I always caution enquirers that "all mods reduce resale value".  I have no doubt in my own mind that this has actually enhanced the value, not that this matters as it's clearly and rightly a keeper.

Over coffee, I'm going to read the whole thing again, if not simply for the perfection of that heel recarve!

I suppose if the work is done by the makers then it's official work rather than an ordinary mod.

A keeper indeed, on so many levels. 🙂

I had the pleasure of playing this bass way back in 2013 at the NE bash (I think it had only just been completed if memory serves @rk7 ?!) and remember it being a beautiful instrument. Im so happy for you that the guys at overwater were able to pull this off for you, I know I would be devastated if I could no longer play my main bass anymore! Fantastic result all round! Out of interest, what is it exactly that you prefer about the overwater circuit versus the East unit? purely out of curiosity as I swear by Johns U-Retro unit! :) 

11 hours ago, funkypenguin said:

I had the pleasure of playing this bass way back in 2013 at the NE bash (I think it had only just been completed if memory serves @rk7 ?!) and remember it being a beautiful instrument. Im so happy for you that the guys at overwater were able to pull this off for you, I know I would be devastated if I could no longer play my main bass anymore! Fantastic result all round! Out of interest, what is it exactly that you prefer about the overwater circuit versus the East unit? purely out of curiosity as I swear by Johns U-Retro unit! :) 

Hey there!

I remember coming over, with Martin, to the NE Bass Bash, it was a great day out.

I particularly like the mid range output from the OW circuit, which when coupled with the ease of use when compared to the East circuit, makes it a good choice for me. I know the East circuit can be adjusted for almost any output, but for me the OW simplicity makes it a winner.

Robin

I have an East Preamp and it is a joy. I had another 36" sixer refurbed a few years ago (don't ask) and they put a new Overwater pre in that. It cut and boosted in all the right places and was also a thing of joy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2020 at 13:21, therealting said:

That is a stunning piece of work, and a ridiculous level of weight reduction! I had been toying with getting @Andyjr1515 to do something like this for me, this has tipped me further in that direction...

Thank you! And yes, I'm still over the moon about the results Martin achieved and the quality of his work

RK

On 21/05/2020 at 18:12, JohnR said:

This is the best bass-related thread I have ever read. Congratulations.

Thank you for your kind words. As I said in the thread, this was a really big deal for me, as my health issues were rendering the bass unusable. However, Martin saved the day with his excellent work.

There was a very extensive build thread on here when the bass was built, however all the associated photographs have disappeared, and the thread is the poorer for it.

thanks again!

RK

• 2 years later...

To everyone who had commented and enjoyed Robins story, it saddens me to tell you that recently Robin lost his fight. He truly was a gentleman and my first port of call for many bass and life discussions. I am truly saddened by his passing and heart broken for his parter and four boys… I came on here to read through his story and remember the kind soul that he was and the enjoyment in working with him on this project!!

Edited by martin lee
  • Like 2
  • Sad 14

3 hours ago, martin lee said:

To everyone who had commented and enjoyed Robins story, it saddens me to tell you that recently Robin lost his fight. He truly was a gentleman and my first port of call for many bass and life discussions. I am truly saddened by his passing and heart broken for his parter and four boys… I came on here to read through his story and remember the kind soul that he was and the enjoyment in working with him on this project!!

I only met Robin once but as you say Martin he was a real gent and really easy to talk with. This is dreadfully sad news and I don't really have any more words to say. Deapest condolencies to you and his family. 

Edited by BassBus

On 21/08/2022 at 17:08, martin lee said:

Really sorry to hear this, met him at the North East bash and he was an absolute gentleman :(