Why become a member? ×

Wireless rigs

Graham Milton

39 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Completely agree with all of this. The first thing I did was get a new cable from designacable, as I wanted an angled one, instead of the straight one it comes with. 

Same here, the one problem I have with my GLXD16. I don't suppose that you have a link for the cable you got from designacable? Cheers... 

Edited by peteb

44 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Best move i ever made. Few things make me say that.

Pros :-

1. i never get any interference.

2. it doesn't affect my tone

3. transmitter battery is charged via USB either from mains or any other source. Receiver is mains powered.

4. simple to use, literally plug and play, its honestly that easy.

5. built in tuner saves setting up an additional pedal.

6. battery can be charged any time in its cycle, can be used direct from box. You don't need to fully charge first or run flat and recharge several times.

7. if for any reason Tx fails or battery runs flat, the pedal has a jack input you can use and still have the use of the tuner.

8. i get approx 10-12 hrs use from the battery

9. if you forget to turn Tx off it automatically switches off after 1 hour if not being used.

10. it transmits 3 frequencies at same time and if the selected one fails or picks up interference it switches over fast enough you wont hear anything.

Cons :-

1. cable from Tx to bass is very thin and may get damaged after a few yrs of use. I intend buying a spare cable.

I plug it in and totally forget about it to be honest. Its also built like a tank both pedal and Tx. Its just the small cable thing that lets it down a bit.

One other personal opinion i didn't really like the belt / strap clip but i was always gonna use my holster that's fitted to my strap.

Highly recommended IMHO

Dave

That sounds great. Thanks for the info Dave.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard R said:

Which Lekato do you have? They make a range, with different frequencies etc.

I know you didn't ask me, but I ordered a set (WS-90) through Ali Express. Took a bit longer to arrive, but it was almost half price of any UK source. Really pleased with them. They have a bit of a longer battery life than the WS-50 too. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJzjNsV

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Best move i ever made. Few things make me say that.

Pros :-

1. i never get any interference.

2. it doesn't affect my tone

3. transmitter battery is charged via USB either from mains or any other source. Receiver is mains powered.

4. simple to use, literally plug and play, its honestly that easy.

5. built in tuner saves setting up an additional pedal.

6. battery can be charged any time in its cycle, can be used direct from box. You don't need to fully charge first or run flat and recharge several times.

7. if for any reason Tx fails or battery runs flat, the pedal has a jack input you can use and still have the use of the tuner.

8. i get approx 10-12 hrs use from the battery

9. if you forget to turn Tx off it automatically switches off after 1 hour if not being used.

10. it transmits 3 frequencies at same time and if the selected one fails or picks up interference it switches over fast enough you wont hear anything.

Cons :-

1. cable from Tx to bass is very thin and may get damaged after a few yrs of use. I intend buying a spare cable.

I plug it in and totally forget about it to be honest. Its also built like a tank both pedal and Tx. Its just the small cable thing that lets it down a bit.

One other personal opinion i didn't really like the belt / strap clip but i was always gonna use my holster that's fitted to my strap.

Highly recommended IMHO

Dave

Another +1 for all the above. I had two angled jacks cables made doe the transmitter before I even used the one that came with it. Made by OBBM I believe, before he stopped doing them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, peteb said:

Like Dave, I'm not quite sure exactly what you don't trust? 

I don't trust wireless systems for bass and guitars. I prefer long, good quality cables. No offence there, choose & use what You like. 

6 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I don't trust wireless systems for bass and guitars. I prefer long, good quality cables. No offence there, choose & use what You like. 

Fair enough. I've had many wireless systems before the GLXD16 and always went back to a cable.

However, the GLXD16 is reliable and sounds / works great and is the first system that I've actually trusted. Hardly ever done a gig with a lead since I got it. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, peteb said:

Fair enough. I've had many wireless systems before the GLXD16 and always went back to a cable.

However, the GLXD16 is reliable and sounds / works great and is the first system that I've actually trusted. Hardly ever done a gig with a lead since I got it. 

Had the Smooth Hound wireless before the Shure and altho i never got drop outs i did seem to pick up noise or interference on it in some venues.

I've since played same venues with the Shure and nothing, it was as clear as the proverbial whistle.

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Had the Smooth Hound wireless before the Shure and altho i never got drop outs i did seem to pick up noise or interference on it in some venues.

I've since played same venues with the Shure and nothing, it was as clear as the proverbial whistle.

Dave

I've had all sorts of issues with a variety of wireless systems over the years and despite the obvious advantages of going wireless, I always went back to using a cable. The Shure has changed that. It isn't cheap, but it just works and is worth the initial expense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

You win the award for pointless post of the day.

I don’t see why you think his post was pointless. Lots of players don't trust wireless systems and prefer to use a cable for a variety of reasons.  

17 minutes ago, peteb said:

I don’t see why you think his post was pointless. Lots of players don't trust wireless systems and prefer to use a cable for a variety of reasons.  

But why bother saying so?

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

But why bother saying so?

Because lots of people (with some justification) think that cables are inherently better than wireless. In this instance, I thought that it was valid for him to make that point. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Sorry about that Jimmy i went onto their site and saw them AFTER i posted the comment. Bit of a "DOH !!!" moment there.

Just ordered one.

Cheers for that 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

Got the new cable from designacable and its far better quality cable than the original Shure version. 

The angled jack makes a huge difference meaning the jack cable doesn't hit my leg when moving about on stage. Less risk of damage too.

Dave

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Nothing as fancy as you guys, but I got the Boss WL-20L and it’s a game-changer for me - first time wireless in my life. 

I tend to be quite active on stage, so it’s lovely to be cable free!!

I love mine and use it at home, rehearsals and gigs with my DB and EUB. I also move around a lot and it is nice not to be worrying about cables and I can even spin the DB. 😊  I've had it for about four years and have never had any problems, it's small and easy to charge and use. 👍

• Like 1

I'm delighted with my Sennheiser XSW-D Pedalboard wireless set-up. It's not the most high-profile of wireless units, but it's the best one I've ever used. I started off with the Line 6 G30 which gave me six months of good service before it started to drop out pretty frequently. I had a SmoothHound which worked really well and I gigged it regularly for 2-3 years before I swapped it for the Sennheiser rig - mainly because the receiver doubles as a tuner and I wanted to keep my pedalboard as small and simple as possible.  It's been rock-solid reliable. It's not the cheapest (Andertons have it for £299) but it's really well made and so far, it's been brilliant.

• Like 1