Why become a member? ×

The new fleabass!

sshorepunk

Don't mind the green body. I notice that the body isn't made of basswood so should sound pretty decent.
(I could be wrong about basswoodBTW as this seems to be on cheaper basses-correct me if I'm wrong :P )
I don't like the look of the neck or hardware tho' which imho does look cheap. ;)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

the whole bass looks cheap, and chances are they are gunna translate to £400 over here, £300 of which your paying for flea's signature. It will sell very well no doubt, but it will not be a £400 bass

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' post='415727' date='Feb 20 2009, 07:51 PM']the whole bass looks cheap, and chances are they are gunna translate to £400 over here, £300 of which your paying for flea's signature. It will sell very well no doubt, but it will not be a £400 bass[/quote]

Yeah,that sounds about right ;)

Sounds like a smart move, surprised he is only doing it now.

He must be one of the best known mainstream bass players out there so for a lot of people looking to pick up a bass for the first time or as a backup, to have something with such a high profile player's name on it for such a low price is fantastic.

I can't see him doing a higher spec version unless it is going to be made by a well known company.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='415737' date='Feb 20 2009, 08:06 PM']Sounds like a smart move, surprised he is only doing it now.

He must be one of the best known mainstream bass players out there so for a lot of people looking to pick up a bass for the first time or as a backup, to have something with such a high profile player's name on it for such a low price is fantastic.

I can't see him doing a higher spec version unless it is going to be made by a well known company.[/quote]

good point, i suppose no one wants to pay a grand for a bass no one's had any experience with before, not even with the company.

[quote name='Russ' post='415517' date='Feb 20 2009, 04:24 PM']I'd expect the ones he plays onstage to be seriously tweaked (better pickup, hardware, etc), but that they will still look like the production instruments.[/quote]

I don't see why that would necessarily be the case. The vast majority of upgrades make an indistinguishable difference in a live setting where the main issue with the sound is the venue and the mix, where noone in the crowd is going to have magic ears, and most of them are drunk. As much as I like the gear talk on here, frankly if the pickup sounds passable (as even my Yamaha Pacifica does) and stays in tune then nothing else really matters. Certainly the case with the the Peppers, who aren't a big 'texture' band. I think the notion here that everybody who makes a living playing bass has extraordinarily modified instruments is a bit wide of the mark.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='415718' date='Feb 20 2009, 07:46 PM']This will be in a lot of competition with the new sterling by musicman range. Similar price range but to me it seems the sbm basses are better quality. Haven't played either of them yet so i'll wait and see.[/quote]

These could well end up being a lot cheaper than the SBMM basses... the only indication on price of those was on the EBMM forum, where the guy that's making them suggested they'd be "cheaper than $1000... by a few hundred dollars"

If the fleabass hits the market at $400 as suggested on this thread, it could end up being almost half the price of the Sterlings!

Looks like a cool idea, even if the fleabass is somewhat aesthetically challenging for me. ;)

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='415990' date='Feb 21 2009, 09:48 AM']I don't see why that would necessarily be the case. The vast majority of upgrades make an indistinguishable difference in a live setting where the main issue with the sound is the venue and the mix, where noone in the crowd is going to have magic ears, and most of them are drunk. As much as I like the gear talk on here, frankly if the pickup sounds passable (as even my Yamaha Pacifica does) and stays in tune then nothing else really matters. Certainly the case with the the Peppers, who aren't a big 'texture' band. I think the notion here that everybody who makes a living playing bass has extraordinarily modified instruments is a bit wide of the mark.[/quote]

Totally agree. As I've mentioned before: while my Warmoth was being made, I used a no name jazz copy that cost me about £20 for a lot of gigs.

[quote name='SJA' post='416168' date='Feb 21 2009, 02:43 PM']only 20 frets? how will he be able to play the high bit in "By the way"?
(IIRC that goes up to the high F on the 22fret Modulus)[/quote]

it does go to the 22nd fret, but he got by with a 21 fret jazz, didn't he? i dunno what he did though, when i saw them live he played his modulus.

Ok,Is everyone missing the point here?

Its a decently made,cheap,production by factory,instrument...Aimed at beginners.....kids...

I bet its a ton and a half better made than my 1st Bass guitar,its even got a shortscale dinky model for the even younger new players.

Its not being made for the experienced,or the pro...its an eye catching product,attracting ,if in a little bizarre colour,more people to take up our choice of instrument.

[quote name='SJA' post='416168' date='Feb 21 2009, 02:43 PM']only 20 frets? how will he be able to play the high bit in "By the way"?
(IIRC that goes up to the high F on the 22fret Modulus)[/quote]

Scar tissue too...... just need to bend it up a semitone, that's what I've done when i've used a Jazz live for that one....

BTW..... just move that high bit down an octave..... nobody really cares !!

Edited by Marcus

Looks pretty good IMO. Get one cheap, make a few mods, could turn out pretty good. And if you think about it, on a very basic level, its roughly the same specs as a P bass. Alder body, single pickup, 20 fret rosewood 'board with maple neck, volume and tone control. I know it won't sound exactly like a P bass, but with some mods, could make it pretty damn close.
Zach

Interesting that quite a few folk are dissing this bass before seeing/hearing or playing one.

If they are made in the East the 'bang for the buck' could be good. The general ergonomics has real potential too. Making a short scale to encourage kids to get playing bass makes a lot of sense. I prefer bright colours to sparkle myself.

I'm reserving judgement until I know a bit more.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='416515' date='Feb 22 2009, 10:30 AM']Interesting that quite a few folk are dissing this bass before seeing/hearing or playing one.

I'm reserving judgement until I know a bit more.[/quote]

Absolutely. I think they look great, and my daughter and myself plan to get matching ones.

I think they look different, and if they're affordable, and look and play well, bring 'em on, can't wait.