Why become a member? ×

Is 'Le Shuttle' the Guinness of amps?

Born 2B Mild

My Genz-Benz (Shuttle 6.0) kind of reminds me of an old Guinness commercial, where the guy keeps looking at the pouring pint from so many angles ...I guess he was wondering "WTF" etc.

Eight months on from getting one, I feel like that guy. This amp is [i]stupidly [/i]small, light as a pedal and ... frankly, a bit toy like. Can you imagine Jeremy Clarkson reviewing it?

[i]"It's like having a Trabant body enclosing a McLaren F1"[/i]

But closing my eyes, I get all the sonic sensations I need. And hell, is it loud! I really can't see myself selling it, as if I ever had the need to get another amp, I'd still have this as a back-up/rehearsal amp. At 4 ohms load, this 600w+ amp, with an active bass, is louder than loud! Honestly, it HURTS.

Maybe there's an after-market Papier-mâché Ampeg-looking thing that the Shuttle could hide within, thus it could end up looking as enormous as it sounds?

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='405886' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:37 PM']I really can't see myself selling it, as if I ever had the need to get another amp, I'd still have this as a back-up/rehearsal amp...[/quote]

That's exactly why I didn't sell mine when I was thinking about it. It's scary how small and light they are - it's witchcraft I tell thee. You could have one in your bass gig bag and not even notice it’s there.

I bought the Shuttle 3-10t combo and when the delivery guy turned up I thought he was giving me an empty box!

10" speaker in an enclosure rated 175w at 8ohms and 300 at 4ohms and it weighs less than 20lb..... including the amp!

You are right - its fekkin voodoo.

I took it to an open mic night and it filled the place on half volume.

Well... I've been using the GB neo-pak for several months now.... & it's a great amp.. & light too!... at a mere 350 watts it's half the output but twice the size of a shuttle!.... reckon the sound must be similar... same EQ configuration... but coz of it's [i]HUGE[/i] proportions I can see to fiddle with the knobs without putting me glasses on!... [i]old skool rules![/i] ;)

If I ever had to replace it..... I'd have to get a shuttle...... :P

Edited by bottomfeed

I got a Shuttle 6.0 a few weeks ago-I am utterly blown away with it. Cannot believe this tiny little thing you can pick up and wave about with one hand will produce this enormous sound-and a dirty rough sound, just what I want. Also it's got the best sound when playing with fingers that I've had with an amp-I've always struggled with that in the past. To think I lugged my Trace combo around, and this has waaay more wallop and I can carry it around in a laptop bag! Just got a pair of custom Ashdown 300 watt ABM 112's with Celestion Neo's in them, with them the sound is just astounding, and I can just about carry one in each hand! Happy days. Marvellous what they can do wi' technology today.

Its like Groundhog Day with mine. Every time I set up the band turn round to see me gazing in amazement at this small bit of metal. Then they go "Its so small" Then I go "Innit Though" and they go "Standard". I do have to use both cabs even if only one is connected so I feel like Ive got a rig behind me ;)

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='405886' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:37 PM']Maybe there's an after-market Papier-mâché Ampeg-looking thing that the Shuttle could hide within, thus it could end up looking as enormous as it sounds?[/quote]
Yup. Here it is. There's a Shuttle hiding inside the head, and the cab is actually a 1x12".

[quote name='josh3184' post='406723' date='Feb 11 2009, 05:52 PM']gk1001-rb II

700w of deliciousness

this-un: [url="http://www.gallien.com/products_artist_hd_1001.html"]http://www.gallien.com/products_artist_hd_1001.html[/url][/quote]

Ah, unfortunately I can’t play left handed heads… ;)

Seriously though, I’ve heard those are great heads. I’ve been toying with the idea of trading the Shuttle but when it comes down to it I know I’d miss having 600W of power in a tiny 1.7Kg package. Just out of curiosity (and I don’t know why I’m doing this to myself), what tuner and rack have you got?

I've not had enough gigs yet with the Shuttle since I got it at the end of last year to be fully in awe of its small stature.

I've actually managed to get my entire setup so small and light that i can carry it in one go from the car. A far cry from that huge TE stack a few years back.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='406486' date='Feb 11 2009, 04:45 PM']Every time I go for my Shuttle, I think to myself, "Bloody hell, it's so small I've lost it again..."

Then I realise that I don't actually own one.[/quote]

Yeah, I had a dream last week about owning an Alembic - I'm still looking around the house for it. If I ever find one I'll sell it and buy me a Shuttle. (Seems better value than the little Mark Bass amp, although the 1kw Ashdown LG looks good, but doesn't have the extra flexibility of the valve pre. Can you switch from valve to solid state pre with the Shuttle?)

I'm thinking about buying a shuttle 6.0, and get rid of my svt 4 pro, cause is too damn heavy to carry it arownd... ;)
Anywone had any problems with this amp?
I had never get to try one of these wonders of tech....is it ok for rock?

Are they made only in USA, or are they coming also from Asia?

F.