Why become a member? ×

Which Luthier and Why?

BigBeefChief

[quote name='molan' post='402571' date='Feb 7 2009, 02:19 AM']Damn - just re- read this and thinking I should get that deep blue Flamboyant built after all, I've sold enough kit this week to afford it as well. . .[/quote]

Get it done Barrie..... !!

Yup, write an e-mail NOW and arrange a day to go down and finalise the spec. ;)

I do know what you mean about lashing out £2k+ though. I have a Sei 7 and it's an unbelievable bass to play. I might change the Schack preamp out, but the quality of the instrument really is something else. Every time I pick up the bass to play, it just makes me smile. I'm extremely lucky to be a Sei owner and to have a wife who understands why these things cost so much....

Sei basses are the best basses in Europe and among the best in the world. Amazing how they produce such quality from the small space downstairs in The Gallery.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='403049' date='Feb 7 2009, 09:04 PM']There's no doubt that Sei are the best 'all wood' basses made in the UK right now, but I'd need to play some basses from Ritter, Le Fay and Drozd before I could safely make that claim for the whole of Europe myself...[/quote]There is no such thing as "The Best".

[quote name='steve-soar' post='403130' date='Feb 8 2009, 12:20 AM']There is no such thing as "The Best".[/quote]
There is,but its for the individual,and some people don't want to realise that.

Basically its this,you want summat better* than off the peg,you go custom...

If you don't like fancy woods,than there's this thing called paint,that can be applied for a small extra cost,as in my opinion,wood does not affect tone to any real life changing degree,it was an option I waived,I chose the woods for my instruments,because I WANTED TOO,boo-hoo if you don't like that.....I like the look of wood,I hope this upsets some of you.

I still think its a little weird that you spend oodles of wedge on a custom instrument and people still buy a Maple/Alder bodied...bolt neck with a Rose wood/Maple neck,But then its not my Bass thats being designed,and its not me that has to play it...so in a short answer to my own question,I shouldn't really give a f***.

*Again debatable?...what IS better....Moon on a stick me,always was,always will.

[quote name='ARGH' post='403176' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:42 AM'],I chose the woods for my instruments,because I WANTED TOO,boo-hoo if you don't like that.....I like the look of wood,I hope this upsets some of you.

I still think its a little weird that you spend oodles of wedge on a custom instrument and people still buy a Maple/Alder bodied...bolt neck with a Rose wood/Maple neck,But then its not my Bass thats being designed,and its not me that has to play it...so in a short answer to my own question,I shouldn't really give a f***.[/quote]
To quote the great man himself...
[quote name='ARGH' post='403177' date='Feb 8 2009, 05:03 AM']Sorry but that is utter utter utter utter utter sh*t.......Go to bed,you are drunk.[/quote]

[quote name='ARGH' post='403176' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:42 AM']*Again debatable?...what IS better....Moon on a stick me,always was,always will.[/quote]
Sigh me me me...

I chose to go down the custom route after having done a couple of courses in 2003 with a couple of guys who had Buckeye Burl Sei's. I was really impressed with the build quality & the sound, so pretty much made up my mind to go for a custom build.

After having discounted the chance of getting an NYC Sadowsky (major amount of £), I looked at a few of the British luthier's websites & Overwater pretty much swung it for me. I emailed Chris May & following that, had a chat with both Chris & Laurence about the spec for my bass & the waiting time.

Six months later, I was on my way up to Carlisle to pick it up (had to do an overnight stay as I was living 300+ miles away at the time). I spent about 2 hrs in the shop testing the bass out & getting the action tweaked (as well has having a chinwag about all things bass related with Chris & Laurence, who is a pretty mean bassist himself!).

The bass is an absolute dream to play & haven't regretted a single penny spent on it. I would say the build quality does have an edge over a factory build. In the current economic climate, I would say that a custom build is a purchase that has to be thought about, but if it's something you want & you can afford it without making yourself homeless then do it.

I would love to hear what a Shuker sounds like - I've visited the website quite a few times & they do look the business.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='403180' date='Feb 8 2009, 06:44 AM']To quote the great man himself...

Sigh me me me...[/quote]
Dear 'Small lump..etc...

I was and still am stone cold sober,I have lovely neighbour that has a small person that though very very sweet,is teething,small person,bless him,has his room beside mine...maybe I should move,but I like my room where it is,and its an early sunday that I wake up and think of posting.

So what is your problem?

Is all this not a bit like arguing the relative merits of a Ferrari, a TVR, a Lotus, a Jaguar, a Mondeo......?

A Ferrari 560 looks nice , sounds nice , goes like stink, no doubt the dealer service is excellent and it makes the owner feel good but in everyday use its no better than my V6 Mondeo that cost considerably less but still puts a smile on my face.
You cannot state "best" without taking everything into account. Custom builds are a personal thing and to state one luthier is better than another is pointless.
It would be better if everyone replied with the reasons as to "why" , which was the original question ?
Many bassists on here are happy with £250 basses in an inverted snob way which is the camp I am in and could not justify spending £1000 + on a custom build.
For those of you that do it would be interesting to know what you paid for these builds and how you justify it ? whether that is because it plays like a dream , you need it as a professional bassist or just because it looks nice.

It seems to me that all the independent UK bass makers produce excellent instruments and should we not be celebrating this rather than arguing the relative merits of one against another ?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='403130' date='Feb 8 2009, 12:20 AM']There is no such thing as "The Best".[/quote]

Agreed, only the best for the individual. I know people who haven't liked my favourite basses at all, and I've hated basses that other people love (F Bass being an example). The only thing you can really argue is build quality, as sound and playability are such a personal issue. However arguing about any of these is pointless really.

Edited by 4000

[quote]There is,but its for the individual,and some people don't want to realise that.[/quote]

+1

This is the very reason I've refrained from entering into the fray here. To say luthier A is the best, no qualification, is a red rag to a bull here. Perceived quality and issues of what is the best are derived from within the individual. Some luthiers are held on a pedestal because of their personal traits as much as the quality of their product imo. Those personal attributes may appeal to some and 'burst a bubble' for others.

I'm pretty sure too that for a multitude of reasons, some planned and some not, every luthier would conceed that their products vary in terms of ascetics, ergonomics anf function. Christ even companies like Fender et. al. have huge variations when using mass production!

Personally I don't like 'bullshit' but I sure do smell a whole load of it when it comes to basses and bass gear/accessories generally ;)

All this is just coming from my map of the World - just like everyone elses opinion.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='403274' date='Feb 8 2009, 11:21 AM']+1

Personally I don't like 'bullshit' but I sure do smell a whole load of it when it comes to basses and bass gear/accessories generally ;)

Peter[/quote]
Thankyou
Whats your 'Spot the Bullshit' question?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='403049' date='Feb 7 2009, 09:04 PM']There's no doubt that Sei are the best 'all wood' basses made in the UK right now, but I'd need to play some basses from Ritter, Le Fay and Drozd before I could safely make that claim for the whole of Europe myself...[/quote]

Good point and maybe a rash statement which I concede. ;) I have played a Drozd though and in my opinion it didn't feel, play or sound as good as my Sei.

"The Best" is always a personal opinion and it's shame that if a post isn't prefaced with IMO, IMHO etc then it's jumped on.

In my opinion, "the best" car is a Mk1 Toyota MR2. :P

Edited by 7string

[quote name='7string' post='403555' date='Feb 8 2009, 05:18 PM']"The Best" is always a personal opinion and it's shame that if a post isn't prefaced with IMO, IMHO etc then it's jumped on.

In my opinion, "the best" car is a Mk1 Toyota MR2. ;)[/quote]
I disagree...lets have another 5 pages arguing the toss.

[quote]"The Best" is always a personal opinion and it's shame that if a post isn't prefaced with IMO, IMHO etc then it's jumped on.[/quote]

Wrong (imo), it's a simple statement. There's the world of difference between stating 'The best' and saying 'I reckon, imo, to me, in my opinion', etc. In our written language it means two quite different things. I read English as it's written, if you're writing something that means something else then imo you've f***ed up ;)

Peter

[quote name='7string' post='403033' date='Feb 7 2009, 08:39 PM']I'm extremely lucky to be a Sei owner and to have a wife who understands why these things cost so much....[/quote]

I have a great deal going with my wife ;)

I run a separate bank account with a max overdraft facility of £1,500. All buying & seling has to go through that account and approx every 6 months it's supposed to 'balance' and not go overdrawn :P

After a lot of buying and selling this past year it's actually in credit at the moment [i]and[/i] I have a couple of things up for sale which will take it even further into credit :)

Meanwhile all I have to do with her is forcibly encourage her to buy very expensive handbags now & then - of course 'expensive' on the handbag front is nothing like the cost of even the cheapest bass. This means that if we go shopping and I get her to buy something nice I win on all fronts - she's happy for me to buy basses & amps and I score loads of 'good husband' points by taking in interest in her handbag shopping :huh:

That sounds like a great idea.

What happens if the account doesn't balance? Does it mean you have to do the washing up a day for each penny that you owe....

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='403627' date='Feb 8 2009, 06:45 PM']FWIW, any time I see the word 'best' (not just here - anywhere), I take it as read that someone's expressing an opinion. Even if they don't know they are.[/quote]

That's what I was try (and failing) to say ;)

[quote name='7string' post='403894' date='Feb 8 2009, 10:51 PM']That sounds like a great idea.

What happens if the account doesn't balance? Does it mean you have to do the washing up a day for each penny that you owe....[/quote]

Nope - got past that one a few years back by buying a nice shiny new dishwasher from the same pool of cash ;)

[quote name='deksawyer' post='402553' date='Feb 7 2009, 01:15 AM']At the other end of the spectrum I have a £100 no name jazz bass (actually a Jim Deacon) which has a BaddAss II, Bartolinis and an AC EQ02 preamp. This is the bass I turn to most as it feels easiest/better to play than the others. With a new set of strings and a good set up, it easily competes with the other in my stable; which I often get the mickey taken about from various band members.[/quote]

Have you got any pics? I've got a Jim Deacon Jazz & have recently thought about doing something similar in the future..

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmm - I think I'll stay out of this 'The Best' debate.. it's obviously subjective and it all depends on what YOU want from your bass and what you will use it for.

In a nutshell I'm a total boutique bassist myself - having played a very good 'off the peg' bass, my 1990 Thumb original, for 18 years I grew incredibly frustrated with its limitations and its inherant sound that no matter what I did to alter it with light strings and a new circuit - I just could get what I wanted. So I when I started earning a bit more I thought right now's the time to get that bloody Sei bass I've always wanted.

By the time I had taken the plunge I had a really clear idea of what I wanted from every aspect of the bass, namely sound, look and feel. I've been lucky to try loads of beautiful basses - I used to run Bernie Goodfellow's website when I lived in Brighton and spent a lot of time hanging out with Bernie and even going to the Musik Messe with him three years ago. Some of his basses are utterly fantastic and I was luck to try an awful lot of them but if I'm totally honest I'm not massively keen on the big curves on the bodies and that's just me. YOu can pretty much any sound you want from them and Bernie does a brilliant job with all the fine details and the circuit is mega.

However living in London for the past 5 years has meant I've been a regular customer at the Gallery and have forged a good relationship with Martin and John - and that cheeky fella Alex - and all three of them have been great at informing my knowledge of the current crop of high end basses. In the last 5 years I've seen so many truly jaw dropping basses come out of Martin's workshop - they seem to get beter and better - that I was absolutely confident in my choice when I asked him to make my bass. At the same time I've been able to compare them to the amazing stock that the Gallery carries and so have a very good idea of how good Seis are compared to a whole world of top end basses - and they really do hold their own. I played a gorgoeous F bass fretless they have in there at the moment - it's a stunner and plays and sounds amazing - but it'll cost you over 4K...

I love the way Seis look, feel and sound - not every single one is to my taste in these areas but the ones that are IMO really are some of the best basses you can buy today - they aren't the best - but 'some of' the best ;)

M

Personally, I have no time for debates like this. At most you'll get an idea of how diverse everyone's opinion is. Decide what is important to you and find someone who can make a bass along those lines, or someone who is accommodating if things don't go to plan initially. What is very important is that you know what you want. If you don't and you still go to a custom maker, you'll probably end up disappointed.

I've owned a few Brit built basses, (Wal, Jaydee, Manson, Bravewood) and played a lot of others (O'Water, Status, Shuker, GB..Shergold!). Some really nice basses, and secondhand they are fantastic value compared to most American basses. I did the Shuker "build your own" course.

But the only basses I've commissioned have been from Mo Clifton in Blackheath. He doesn't often use "sophisticted active circuits". He doesn't do nitro or any sprayed finish (oil only mate). He probably won't make you the Jazz of your dreams. I've even seen a few sanding scratches on my new basses.

I just like his designs and his concept of what makes a good useable bass.

[attachment=21072:DSCN1099.JPG]

BB