Why become a member? ×

Which Luthier and Why?

BigBeefChief

Guess i look at it in an opposite way must admit I recently bought a modern £800 ish bass because I ended up paranoid about using vintage basses for pub gigs & rehearsals & didn't want to trash them further, know what you mean about shiny new custom ones though.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='400244' date='Feb 4 2009, 05:59 PM']A related question: Do those of you with really expensive basses actually gig them? I don't think I'd want to take a bass worth £1000+ out to a pub gig.

I suppose with vintage gear it's a bit different, because I wouldn't mind if it picked up a few scrapes, but a shiny new quilt-topped thing with matching wood knobs wouldn't look too clever with big dings in it.[/quote]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='400244' date='Feb 4 2009, 05:59 PM']A related question: Do those of you with really expensive basses actually gig them? I don't think I'd want to take a bass worth £1000+ out to a pub gig.[/quote]

Absolutely!

All the basses I own that get regular use have a replacement value of over £2000 each. However that doesn't stop me from taking any of them to any gig if it's going to be the right instrument for the job.