Why become a member? ×

Need advice - Mustang vs Precision

bamboofrog

24 minutes ago, bamboofrog said:

Cheers all, have decided to go with the the Fender Mustang and have bought one off a fellow basschatter. I will let you know when it arrives!

Excellent! I'm a bit late here, but I'm 6'2" and commited short-scale guy (now). But I'm also 63 and the comfort and playability is great... cronky shoulder and all that.

When I first used my new Mustang PJ at a rehearsal the drummer actually complained about too much bass. That was through a Microbass pre-amp and Rumble 500 amp. I'm now about 90% close to my personal killer tone.

Enjoy the new bass!

• Like 2

Sure you'll be well chuffed with it.  I use 2 at gigs, a Mikey Way sig (thin Jazz type neck) and a JMJ relic (thick precisionish type neck).  Both lovely but very different in feel and sounds.  Not sure but I think that the Vintera (if that's the one you've picked up off of here) is basically a JMJ but without all the relicing?  My JMJ is strung with flats and is much smoother than the MW (single humbucker), so basically the strings will also make a fair difference to the sound (as alluded to earlier in the thread).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I just came across this thread in a Google search and am wondering how the Mustang turned out, nearly three years on? I am currently in the middle of a similar decision/search myself.

First off, I am not primarily a bass player but rather a guitarist who plays bass for songs I've written/am recording. I currently have a Partscaster P Bass that, as far as P Basses go, is pretty great. Though I've recently found that (a) I prefer the feel of a short scale bass, and (b) for recording purposes specifically I like the sound of the P and J (or M and J, as the case may be) pickups together. I played an American Performer series Mustang Bass and loved it but think it's a bit too much to spend for someone who at the end of the day is not actually a bass player and only uses it occasionally. The Player series Mustang would work but I also noticed the sharp fret ends on the one I played and figured it was probably fairly common among them. At the moment I'm torn between (a) get the Player series Mustang and simply file down the fret ends, (b) get a Squier Classic Vibe Mustang and install a J Bass bridge pickup (I've done this mod before so am familiar/capable, and already have the J Bass pickup router template), or (c) do nothing and make it work with the P Bass.

Thoughts?

28 minutes ago, Studio108 said:

I just came across this thread in a Google search and am wondering how the Mustang turned out, nearly three years on? I am currently in the middle of a similar decision/search myself.

First off, I am not primarily a bass player but rather a guitarist who plays bass for songs I've written/am recording. I currently have a Partscaster P Bass that, as far as P Basses go, is pretty great. Though I've recently found that (a) I prefer the feel of a short scale bass, and (b) for recording purposes specifically I like the sound of the P and J (or M and J, as the case may be) pickups together. I played an American Performer series Mustang Bass and loved it but think it's a bit too much to spend for someone who at the end of the day is not actually a bass player and only uses it occasionally. The Player series Mustang would work but I also noticed the sharp fret ends on the one I played and figured it was probably fairly common among them. At the moment I'm torn between (a) get the Player series Mustang and simply file down the fret ends, (b) get a Squier Classic Vibe Mustang and install a J Bass bridge pickup (I've done this mod before so am familiar/capable, and already have the J Bass pickup router template), or (c) do nothing and make it work with the P Bass.

Thoughts?

Harley Benton’s recent release of its Mustang-alike sounds the very ticket for you.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mv_4msb_gotoh_db.htm

YT review from Low End Lobster

• Like 3

1 hour ago, police squad said:

Every time I pick up my  JMJ mustang, I smile. I've had it a couple of years now. I would try a vintera but for me, there's no need.   P bass player for 33+ years.

now, mustang all the way

Great basses, now that I’ve put a set of rounds on mine it’s pretty much my go to bass. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, police squad said:

Every time I pick up my  JMJ mustang, I smile. I've had it a couple of years now. I would try a vintera but for me, there's no need.   P bass player for 33+ years.

now, mustang all the way

4 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Great basses, now that I’ve put a set of rounds on mine it’s pretty much my go to bass. 

Weather permitting, mine will get its first outing in a band setting tomorrow, I hope it rises to the occasion.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

Weather permitting, mine will get its first outing in a band setting tomorrow, I hope it rises to the occasion.

Outdoor gig? Wow, respect sir. 🥶

NYE I gigged my Mustang PJ with the Harley Benton shortie P as back-up.

2022 was my first full year as a short scale player. I’m not sure I’ll ever go back to playing 34” scale regularly now. 

I keep looking at Mustangs and wondering whether they might be a better fit for my aging & knackered body. I love my black/black/maple Precisions so much but just think maybe for band work the Mustang might be more practical.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I keep looking at Mustangs and wondering whether they might be a better fit for my aging & knackered body. I love my black/black/maple Precisions so much but just think maybe for band work the Mustang might be more practical.

A black JMJ would be the nuts I guarantee it!! Sits perfectly in the mix. Didn’t you try my JMJ ?

23 minutes ago, Adee said:

A black JMJ would be the nuts I guarantee it!! Sits perfectly in the mix. Didn’t you try my JMJ ?

I did, and I did like it a lot. I’d need to play one with a band to make the decision but in theory they tick all boxes - well apart from black/black/P-width maple that is. But I do like the all black/rosewood look so not a dealbreaker by any means.

31 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I did, and I did like it a lot. I’d need to play one with a band to make the decision but in theory they tick all boxes - well apart from black/black/P-width maple that is. But I do like the all black/rosewood look so not a dealbreaker by any means.

I'm sure there's a luthier who could make one for you 😅 or a Sandberg Lionel could fit the bill? 

On 02/01/2023 at 11:44, martthebass said:

It will mate, guarantee it!

On 02/01/2023 at 20:00, police squad said:

It will. I was blown away with it on my first gig 

And second

And third 

It did OK. After 3 years of home playing, I’m going to have to learn to embrace more midrange again. I had plenty of low end, but the rather loud organ based keyboards in the PA at the rehearsal space rather swamped my definition, even after I got them to turn down the low end on their channel after a standing wave incident. I could’ve turned up more, but didn’t want to be ‘that guy’ on our first meeting. Anyway, they all seemed well pleased and I’m in!

• Like 1

On 02/01/2023 at 20:59, Lozz196 said:

Having started out on bass (many years ago) on a shortscale, from which I quickly moved to long scale - I pondered getting another short scale for a while. I dabbled with a Hofner Violin bass for a bit, but found the neck to be too narrow and the string spacing too close for my right hand.... though in truth, I keep looking at them and thinking maybe I should give one another chance? 

A few months back, I found myself in my local PMT shop, and I really liked the look of a Squier Classic Vibe Mustang they had in stock. It was a cool colour, and looked rather nice, so i gave it a try. It was rather lovely, and it made me look again at the range of Mustangs out there. In the end, I went for a Mex P/J Mustang and I really like it. I can confirm that it's easier on ageing joints & backs @Lozz196. The pickups in the PJ sound pretty good. The pickup in the Squier CV sounded OK, but perhaps a tad weaker than the P pickups in my Mex. But I really liked the neck on the CV - it felt just lovely, as the CV range just do.

I have gigged the Mustang a couple of times, and I really like it. I'm also glad I went for the PJ option, as I like being able to dial in a bit of that Jazz pickup (the pickup selector switch had already been changed to a blend pot when I got the bass). I usually gig my Fiesta Red Fender Classic P bass, with maple neck & board, and I really like the "bite" that bass seems to have (it's my favourite sounding P bass ever). So before gigs I now have to ponder whether to take the Mustang for comfort and added J sound, or my P bass because I just slightly prefer the sound from the P bass. Oh such decisions.

I'm glad I picked up a short scale again, and one that has better string spacing was a good choice for me. It's definitely easier on my back & shoulders - so it's going to do the longer haul gigs certainly. I must say, I like the look of that HArley Benton Mustang style bass - especially the colour of that one in the video :) 

EDIT: Let us know whether you get yourself a Mustang Lozz

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1