Why become a member? ×

Calling all teenagers

Kiwi

Old University joke from when we had proper currency...

What's green and can be drunk in one night?

Answer: A Student Grant

Agree with EMA - my daughter seems to think that she'll get it but unfortunately for her my wife and I both work, and to make matters worse we think she should get a job!

It's tough when you're nearly 15, know everything about everything and your ignorant parents can't see it. I remember it so well.....

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='ste_m3' post='188555' date='Apr 29 2008, 11:47 PM']Its a flawed system needless to say, but when your trying to implement something over such a grand scale you obviously cant please everyone!

I mean, My Stepbrother lives 40% here with his dad, and 60% with his mum. (there or there abouts) His mums a hairdresser single mum etc, fair enough, EMA. What they fail to pick up on is that his dad (my stepdad) Is an MD at BAE, and a percentage of his pay goes into her account every month anyway. Like i said, a flawed system. But at least they're trying.[/quote]
This is actually pretty much what I meant by saying it was a rubbish idea. What I should have said is that while it is, in theory, a good idea, it's been poorly executed. To add to Ste's example, my mate's parents are divorced and he lives with his mum, brother and sister. Because he's in a single-parent household he got EMA (he's now at university, where I believe he also gets extra funding), but what isn't taken into account is that his dad is ridiculously filthy rich and not only supports him financially directly but even has enough to pay the mortgage on the house he lives in!

Also, to be fair to BB, you make a good point. If I was in your position I'd definitely be taking all I could get. I don't agree that it's hard to get a job though. The only problem I've ever had with trying to find a job is my own inability to get off my arse and fill in some application forms. Don't rule out going to agencies either - a friend of mine gave his CV to an agency (nothing more than GCSE's, a couple of AS Levels) and got an interview for an admin job the next day.

I hate EMA. A guy at my college used to get it, because his parents had split up, but his Dad owns a bank in Ireland and has money coming out of his ears!

I applied to get EMA for the second year of sixth form as my parents split up, but was told I wasn't elligible for it because it was based on "last year's earnings". That's all well and good, when half the rich kids are sitting around with £30 extra in their pockets, because their parents split up before mine did!!

everyone should get ema, or noone should get ema, it should not be based on family income

what, if like me, your parent do earn 40k a year together, but dont give you any money because they think you should get a job and earn your own money? they dont take that into account. its the same with student loans and bursarys; how much you get is totally dependant on your parents income, which is a joke. your bloody 18 when you start uni, its time to fukin stop sponging off your parents.

hmph

[quote name='Higgie' post='188977' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:45 PM']I hate EMA. A guy at my college used to get it, because his parents had split up, but his Dad owns a bank in Ireland and has money coming out of his ears!

I applied to get EMA for the second year of sixth form as my parents split up, but was told I wasn't elligible for it because it was based on "last year's earnings". That's all well and good, when half the rich kids are sitting around with £30 extra in their pockets, because their parents split up before mine did!![/quote]

Maybe we should make an official "Compensation due to emotional childhood" chart. We can base EMA on that :)

[quote name='ste_m3' post='189019' date='Apr 30 2008, 05:17 PM']Maybe we should make an official "Compensation due to emotional childhood" chart. We can base EMA on that :huh:[/quote]

But that would exclude me :). Maybe if they realized who needs the money, us musicians, maybe some other folk, and not give it to people on the dole because they can't be bothered to get up off their fat arses and find a job. GAh!

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='189036' date='Apr 30 2008, 05:32 PM']Iii think they should do away with child benefit (an incentive to over-populate the world!) and invest the money in the arts i.e. support live music venues by not taxing ticket sales and stuff... give me a chance to get paid for some gigs, in other words! More money for bassists all round![/quote]

But the boundaries between making children and making music are ever so cloudy.

I've never made a baby, but I'm familiar with the process. Not sure about any similarities with making music though, except for *insert joke about g-string here*

My coat is well and truly got.

I think they should use the money to subsidise: book vouchers, bus passes, school meals.... That way it isn't seen as a reward, which in itself is insulting.

It should also be on a gradient, not just cut off points.

I use to not eat lunch and save the money for bass books/gear/lessons. I don't recommend it.

[quote name='paul, the' post='189999' date='May 1 2008, 08:50 PM']I think they should use the money to subsidise: book vouchers, bus passes, school meals.... That way it isn't seen as a reward, which in itself is insulting.

It should also be on a gradient, not just cut off points.

I use to not eat lunch and save the money for bass books/gear/lessons. I don't recommend it.[/quote]

But to be fair, have you [i]seen[/i] your physique? You did something right! [/homosexual]

[RANT MODE]
I think stuff like EMA is pretty flawed, really. Your loan is based on your parents income, and how much the loans company reckons your parents should contribute towards your living expenses. I think it's unfair that parents should still have to pay for their kids once they've left home. However, the loan is based on recommended parental contribution, and some households have a lower income, so I think it's fair that their kids should be given a larger bursary/more EMA/whatever. It's the fact that it usually pissed away on nothing that bothers me. In an ideal world, rather than giving students a big loan, the student's residence should be registered as a student house, and all rent/bills are paid by the loans company, with a small monthly loan/bursary given to students for other living expenses. This way, you can make sure that the majority of what would have been given to a student is spent on utilities as opposed to the contents of the student union bar.
Having finished uni, I now understand why people hate students. At the time I used to think that people were just being stereotypical, but in my house at least they are just layabouts, leaving everything til the last minute and not paying bills on time because cider comes first on their priorities list. It really pisses me off that I work full time, while they do nothing at all and live pretty comfortably. For example, I get paid in a week, and after rent, council tax and other necessary expenditures, I'll have about £200 to last me a month, but it'll be me paying everything on time while they complain that they don't have enough free money. Honestly, I've been waiting for one of my flatmates to pay her share of the gas bill for almost 2 months now, because she decided that buying a new bed was more important (it wasn't). She says she'll have the money on the 7th of May, but I won't hold my breath. [/rant mode]

I was raised and studied before EMA was around, and my Parents NEVER CONTRIBUTED A PENNY to my education. When I left school I went striaght to college, but had to get a job at a local supermarket to pay rent to my Mum and for College fees, which weren't a lot but I still had to support myself.

Even when I was unemployed I had to pay rent to my folks (same amount as if I had been working full time) and if I couldnt pay it that month, it would get tallied up and I would have to owe it them back. Its only fair I pay my own way after all.

It has taught me that you have to support yourself and NEVER rely on other people to support you - its a hard graft in the early years and its only now im earning decent money (at 23) that I can start to enjoy my money more and more. I work for EVERY penny and I expect no less.

Students who get given money for studying really gets on my nerves, almost as much as the louts and nobodies that sit around claiming benefits for no good reason and not doing a days graft for it, while I pay well in excess of £1300 a month to the taxman.

Anyway, lets get back to talking about Bass and Music!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='188502' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:39 PM']I agree, i think everyone should get it (apart from kids with jobs)[/quote]
So because I've made the effort to get off my backside go out and get a job, I don't deserve to get EMA? All the shifts I do, I work hard to get the money. But because you made a half-arsed attempt (if any) to go get a job you feel you should get EMA for just turning up to lessons while people who do have a job don't deserve it because apart from turning up to lessons also, they are doing shifts on a Saturday maybe Sunday too yet don't deserve EMA because they are getting money after going out and finding work. [/rant]

Sorry Luke, back to basses!

my lovely bunch:

Dingwall After Burner I 6 string

[attachment=8356:PICT0799.JPG]

Peavey Grind 6er (with stripey strings :)) gonna be up for sale sometime soon if anyone is interested.

[attachment=8358:PICT0824.JPG]

Peavey Gbass, great for the punk stuff I have been playing today

[attachment=8359:PICT0833.JPG]

EBS Fafner and Peavey 15" cab

[attachment=8360:PICT0837.JPG]

Squire showmaster guitar, rarely play this though

[attachment=8361:PICT0846.JPG]