Why become a member? ×

Calling all teenagers

Kiwi

[quote name='budget bassist' post='808764' date='Apr 16 2010, 06:34 PM']Fair play for selling it if you couldn't afford a cab, solid plan though, you could easily get £100 or so for the MAG head when the time comes, and you'd only need another £100-£150 for an ABM (i paid £230 for my ABM 300)[/quote]

Thanks! yeah, might keep the mag and try and sell something else, actually quite attached to it for some reason, its an orginal, with serial number 5, after a few 000 which is quite nice, but yeah i would give it for an ABM300 4 times out of 5,

i'd have both in an ideal world, and a super model girlfriend, i can dream :) haha,

[quote name='budget bassist' post='808861' date='Apr 16 2010, 08:13 PM']Wouldn't we all? :lol:
I my ABM is make in the UK as well, and so is my electric blue head, funnily enough the electric blue blew up :lol:[/quote]

Haha, for anything less than "giggable" ie practise i use laney, i quite like them oddly... i designed an Amp (i know nowt about amps so it was an idea) and sent to Laney, no reply ='( haha,

How come the Electric blue Blew up?

So what is on Everyones GAS LIST?, mine keeps growing it i will soon need GAS removal surgery, the only problem is the side effect of empty-wallet-itis :)

mine currently stands at, in vague order of likeliness of getting one/importance to me

MXR Distortion + pedal,
Ashdown ABM 300 of some form (there is one on here for £200 but that is £200 more than i can spend! i am so gutted)
then a Cab to match probably a Mag 410,
a new BASS, preferably a 6 string, looking for a Yamaha RBXJM2,

and there are a tonne of pedals i wish to buy to faf with :rolleyes:

[-------- INSERT MOST THINGS BASS RELATED I HAVE EVER SEEN--------]
A Musicman Bongo, probably a 6, \
a Status Graphite B2, |------ some point in the future!
Another Yamaha Attitude, /

Can't wait till i'm allowed to work properly, xD

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='809174' date='Apr 17 2010, 09:00 AM']How come the Electric blue Blew up?[/quote]
It's an ashdown! :) (power stage fried itself, common problem)

As for GAS....
I'd quite like a fretless of some description
and pair of ABM 410 and 115 cabs to replace my MAG cabs

That's about it really, i'm relatively GAS free right now. I'll have to take some photos of my rig soon though once my project bass is sorted, it's getting nearer to completion.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='809263' date='Apr 17 2010, 11:13 AM']It's an ashdown! :) (power stage fried itself, common problem)

As for GAS....
I'd quite like a fretless of some description
and pair of ABM 410 and 115 cabs to replace my MAG cabs

That's about it really, i'm relatively GAS free right now. I'll have to take some photos of my rig soon though once my project bass is sorted, it's getting nearer to completion.[/quote]

Ahhhhh GAS free, whats that like? haha, i'm an a voyage of distortion right now, just messing with my Ashdown James LoMenzo distortion, its decent but still what i'm after, but closer yaaaaay, haha

[quote name='budget bassist' post='809263' date='Apr 17 2010, 11:13 AM']That's about it really, i'm relatively GAS free right now. I'll have to take some photos of my rig soon though once my project bass is sorted, it's getting nearer to completion.[/quote]

Liar!! You can never be GAS free :)

I though i was until i realised i need another berg cab, and i need a 5 string fretless and i need a 6 string just for those extra notes! :lol:

I'm pretty happy i've not ventured into pedals yet!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='budget bassist' post='809764' date='Apr 17 2010, 07:32 PM']Haha, GAS free is good, leaves you with more money for other things :rolleyes: There are a few bits i want, but nothing much really... I've never been much into pedals myself, though i think i'd like a compressor of some sort...[/quote]

Actually, I've found that GAS is pretty good in the long term. Gear holds it's value pretty well, if you buy used, whereas stuff like technology, nights out and holidays (which is what I'd spend money on if I wasn't buying bass gear) doesn't. :)

• 3 months later...

I am turning 17 at the end of the month and i have been playing for about 3 or 4 years, my first bass was my dads bass which he virtually never played as he is a guitarist, it was a Vintage (make).

I then got my first amp as a birthday present which was an ashdown mini rig 2x10 and i loved it.

I got annoyed with the vintage's bland tone and dead frets so when on my work experience 2 years ago in a local music shop i bought the blue washburn XB-120 you can see in the picture which was a surprisingly good bass, it seemed to help me become a lot better on bass.

I then had my ashdown mini rig at a proper venue for our bands first gig and it simply wasn't loud enough. So my dad secretly bought a peavey tnt 150 combo off ebay for £40 knowing that it was faulty, but that was no problem as we knew a amp repairer who repaired it for £40 and then my dads friend (a sound engineer) who owed my dad a favour gave us a new neodymium magnet bass speaker. It now sounds incredible and has served me well in my many gigs in the last 6 months.

A few months ago i decided i needed a change from it as it sounded either insanely trebley or insanely bassey, and it sounded naf at gigs i discovered.

I then bought a Fender Jazz Bass 70's Reissue MIJ from www.fareastguitars.com which is an outstanding sight dealing in second hand japanese guitars and basses, funding the bass meant selling my old ashdown mini rig, my boss rc-2 looper and various other things. It was second hand and 5 years old but as you can see from the photos it was in pristine condition and it still is.

I have a MXR super comp which i think i may sell to get a EHX big muff and an octave pedal.

Finally i use Elixir lights on my bass as i hated having to pay £15 - £20 for a set of strings every two months at least (i hate dead strings) so elixirs saved me money and keep a brilliant tone for at least a year!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm now looking into buying a Fretless bass and a double bass but i need the money for driving lessons :|

Edited by HoweDy

I've just turned 18 (feeling old already :lol: ), been playing for about 4 years and am now doing a degree in Bass at ACM! :rolleyes:

I'm using a fretless Fender MIM, possibly the best bass I've ever played (and I've played alot of basses in my short life span :) ).
Trading my Lakland DJ5 for Mauro's Musicman Stingray next week.
Other stuff I borrow 'cough cough' off my older brother:
Ampeg Classic 8x10, Musicman Stingray 5, EBS pedals, Trace Elliot and his recording stuff

I've also ordered a Fretless Wal which should be with me by late 2011 (or later)

Main influences are Mick Karn, Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, Stefan Redtenbacher and Diego Kovadloff (check out the last two bassists both are my tutors!)

My Lakland: [url="http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/lbrydges/Lakland%20DJ5/"]http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/lb.../Lakland%20DJ5/[/url]

I'll try and post some more pics!

Edited by Laurence

Iv just looked through the whole 16 pages and i love the fact that so many of you were like me and whinged about EMA for the 2 years i was at school. But how many of you are in the new and much worse situation where people at uni get £2900 grant based on their parents income for the same reason. I of course didnt get it and for that reason couldnt afford the rent while everyone who did have it funily enough bought lovely new equipment.

Having said all this im a spoilt brat and although i work, my dad gave me £200 so i could get my latest addition, my Warwick thumb fretless NT5.

Edited by blackmn90

[quote name='blackmn90' post='912413' date='Aug 2 2010, 01:08 AM']Iv just looked through the whole 16 pages and i love the fact that so many of you were like me and whinged about EMA for the 2 years i was at school. But how many of you are in the new and much worse situation where people at uni get £2900 grant based on their parents income for the same reason. I of course didnt get it and for that reason couldnt afford the rent while everyone who did have it funily enough bought lovely new equipment.

Having said all this im a spoilt brat and although i work, my dad gave me £200 so i could get my latest addition, my Warwick thumb fretless NT5.[/quote]
Aye, i should be getting the full grant or most of it. I'm going to try not to spend it on crap like bass gear or a games console or whatever like a few people i know have. I refuse to have to use my overdraft.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='915551' date='Aug 5 2010, 03:31 AM']Aye, i should be getting the full grant or most of it. I'm going to try not to spend it on crap like bass gear or a games console or whatever like a few people i know have. I refuse to have to use my overdraft.[/quote]

Thats a good plan, im stuck in the debt rut and have been all year :) But heck im a bassist and if i can pluck 4 strings and make them sound cool i can do jsut about anything :rolleyes:

edit: cant spell though (just)

Edited by blackmn90

[quote name='MythSte' post='917250' date='Aug 6 2010, 06:06 PM']Hi, Im Stephen, Im 19 years old and Im an addict... :lol:

This is my newly acquired funk/groove/small rig

And here is my hairy chest balls out rig

with this bass;

No longer have the shuttle, it was too small to be rock and roll :rolleyes:[/quote]

Is the fender classic 70's bass? I played on one and it was amazing. The rigs awsome too. Il put some pics up of my stuff when i get a new cab :) Hurry up hartke and give me a 112 :lol:

[quote name='blackmn90' post='917640' date='Aug 7 2010, 02:35 AM']Is the fender classic 70's bass? I played on one and it was amazing. The rigs awsome too. Il put some pics up of my stuff when i get a new cab :) Hurry up hartke and give me a 112 :rolleyes:[/quote]

It is indeed! Its a real beauty. The neck pocket isnt great, the bridge is mis-aligned but it just works in my hands. wouldnt change it for the world - sounds thunderous!

Will post on here as soon as I get my LMII :lol: Hurry up Tuesday :rolleyes:

[quote name='blackmn90' post='917640' date='Aug 7 2010, 02:35 AM']Is the fender classic 70's bass? I played on one and it was amazing. The rigs awsome too. Il put some pics up of my stuff when i get a new cab :) Hurry up hartke and give me a 112 :lol:[/quote]
Hey, were you the guy I met at Andertons on Monday? :lol: (I'm the guy with glasses who said I was interested in getting a fretless)

[quote name='SuperMaximo' post='917838' date='Aug 7 2010, 11:36 AM']Will post on here as soon as I get my LMII :rolleyes: Hurry up Tuesday :)

Hey, were you the guy I met at Andertons on Monday? :lol: (I'm the guy with glasses who said I was interested in getting a fretless)[/quote]

nope sorry, i havnt been in andertons for ages!

[quote name='HoweDy' post='912191' date='Aug 1 2010, 07:56 PM']I got annoyed with the vintage's bland tone and dead frets so when on my work experience 2 years ago in a local music shop i bought the blue washburn XB-120 you can see in the picture which was a surprisingly good bass, it seemed to help me become a lot better on bass.[/quote]

My first bass was an XB120 exactly the same colour as yours!

Most of the paint has chipped off and the entire body is covered in stickers
I need to get a pic!