Why become a member? ×

Calling all teenagers

Kiwi

Everyone judges everything. It's human nature to be analytical. I think the skill is in judging what you really need. And by acknowledging this, setting aside unnecessary wants and GAS and things that look purdy or what adverts/idols suggest you ought to own.

I personally have a tone in my mind that I aim for, then over time try to achieve it. Snobbery aside, this could cost me a few grand or four hundred quid. As long as you consume what you need, manufacturers shouldn't over-compensate, people wont collect too much [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac"]stuff[/url] and gear wont be wasted.

If someone needs to have a nice bass to get the tone they desire and/or the playability required to express themselves, then I respect it if they have the means. I wont judge if it's well thought out and sincerely desired. People probably just ignorantly presume that it's a fad buy, like a runner with new trainers. Bassists just earn my respect though, we are the rational (generally) :)

[quote name='cai!' post='57139' date='Sep 7 2007, 06:43 PM']i just said, "im sorry i cant afford the best bass in the world, i play bass because i enjoy bass, not because i have a fancy expessive instrument"[/quote]

oh man what i would have given to have that in my head for when this 14 year old spoilt little rich kid decided to start knocking my dean! Oh well here's a guy who has been thru that, so ur not alone mate. Some people just feel really insecure so they start to surround themselves with material goods and bully other people about their possesions to make themselves feel better. at least that's the way i look at it. Maybe they're just tossers.

[quote name='paul, the' post='57608' date='Sep 9 2007, 03:15 AM']I personally have a tone in my mind that I aim for, then over time try to achieve it. Snobbery aside, this could cost me a few grand or four hundred quid.[/quote]

yep, look in the classifieds or on eBay and you just might find an old gem at a bargain price. Like my SWR.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Jack' post='49206' date='Aug 22 2007, 10:04 PM']Hey, 18 years old here, been playing for 5 years.

And no mooching off the parents either! Ive worked at Beamish Museum for 3 years and before that I delivered the Advertisers. :)

Basses are a Fender USA P, EBMM Ray5 and Squier P.

[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2998047800056487155QdilnU"][/url]

Amps are GK 1001/Neo

The 112 small rig.
[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2298551410056487155xfUBzn"][/url]

212 big rig.
[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2134724620056487155iRZczF"][/url]

And the inevitable 312 HUGE rig.
[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2296586450056487155sxPImA"][/url][/quote]

i need to steal your rig.

• 1 month later...

Hey! :huh:
I just found this thread and thought id post on it...

I'm 15, and ive been playing bass for around 5 years now :)

at the moment ive got:
Basses
a Fender Jazz Special (in black) with seymour duncan pups
and a epiphone thunderbird (in white)

Rig:
a peavey tour 700 head with a company called "Loud" 4x10 cab

I'll post some pictures on my rig soon.. but for the moment heres a few with my basses...

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url] [url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]

Zoe :huh:
x

Edited by Zoe_BillySheehan

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='81477' date='Oct 30 2007, 09:19 PM']Hey! :huh:

at the moment ive got:
Basses

Rig:

I'll post some pictures on my rig soon.. but for the moment heres a few with my basses...

x[/quote]
nice stuff!

how do you like that peavey head? was thinking bout trying one out..

[quote name='Bass_Junkie' post='59065' date='Sep 12 2007, 12:54 AM']i need to steal your rig.[/quote]

Sure, I live at number 9. :huh:

Ive been trying to find a pic of my amp in action but all the gigs Ive done recently have been for the Sage Gateshead, and Ive been using a supplied backline. So that sucks.

Anyway, heres to all our amps. Big and small, rich and poor. Cos without them the drummer couldnt keep time. :)
[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2813928800056487155iNNIgs"][/url]

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='81477' date='Oct 30 2007, 09:19 PM']Hey! :huh:

at the moment ive got:
Basses

Rig:

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url] [url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]

x[/quote]
Hi Zoe, stop calling yourself Billy Sheehan, you are Zoe, bassplayer with your own identity and you look like you are the biz.
You cool mf****r.

Since I'm 20 next month, I suppose I should post a pic of some of my basses... I only started playing when I was 17, so you could say I'm still just starting out

Sorry about the poor quality of the pic - if I knew how to use my camera a bit better I would! It was hard enough to get these 5 all into the one pic or I'd have shown a few more!

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='81509' date='Oct 30 2007, 10:31 PM']yeah its pretty nice, but i dont think im using its full potential as my cab isnt the greatest thing ever.
It has an octaver on it aswell, which is pretty awesome

x[/quote]
cheers for that!

*now, where do I find one of those to try out? :)*

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='84716' date='Nov 7 2007, 12:40 AM']Since I'm 20 next month, I suppose I should post a pic of some of my basses... I only started playing when I was 17, so you could say I'm still just starting out

Sorry about the poor quality of the pic - if I knew how to use my camera a bit better I would! It was hard enough to get these 5 all into the one pic or I'd have shown a few more![/quote]

Wow nice collection!

Id love to try a 7 string

Zo
xx

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='85848' date='Nov 9 2007, 12:04 PM']Wow nice collection!

Id love to try a 7 string

Zo
xx[/quote]

Thank you! The thing about gaining 9 basses in 3 years when you're a teenager is that you have to work pretty hard, look for bargains and buy virtually nothing else... once you go to uni and get a student loan, everything's so much easier! I like to think of my obsessive collecting of basses as good practise for saving money
7-strings are indeed delightful but you just can't find them in shops so unless you know someone who's got one you have to dive in at the deep end and isn't that what bass is all about? That said, I went from 4 to 5, then 6, then 7, then 8 - I think if you get a 5-string and use your low B a lot and you have a reasonable excuse to use fairly high notes (anything above the 12 on the G, really), then you'd probably be able to make good use of a 7-string - that's how it works for me anyway - low strings to shatter the guitarist's bowels and a high C with 26 frets to prove to him that he's barely got an octave above me
Your basses look pretty nice too, especially that delicious Fender, but as you can probably guess, I hardly play 4-string any more...

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='85862' date='Nov 9 2007, 12:23 PM']I think if you get a 5-string and use your low B a lot and you have a reasonable excuse to use fairly high notes (anything above the 12 on the G, really), then you'd probably be able to make good use of a 7-strin[/quote]

thanks for that. Might get me self one as soon as i've payed for the other £30k worth of stuff i want to get with my £105 a month income :)

i was looking at this actually:

just under €2,000. looks good tho.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='90920' date='Nov 19 2007, 04:18 PM']thanks for that. Might get me self one as soon as i've payed for the other £30k worth of stuff i want to get with my £105 a month income :huh:

i was looking at this actually:

just under €2,000. looks good tho.[/quote]

Just under €2,000?!?!? I know someone who has that exact bass, and I don't think it cost him that much... I can't honestly say I recommend it either... he seems to like it and apparently he barely plays his other basses, buttt he does play a lot of widdly upper fret stuff and he moved on from a 4 to a 5 to a 6 beforehand, so in other words, get yourself into ERBs before you go crazy :)

heya i'm 16 and i've been playing for about 6-7 months and i aint very musically wise or smart i know what company made my bass but i don't know what type it is or anything , i've focused more on learning music and how to play...

here's a few pics of my bass which i used for my GCSE Photography exam unfortunatly i have none of me in action...

all i know is it's a 4-string, session pro, sunburst paint job...

:)