Why become a member? ×

Calling all teenagers

Kiwi

[quote name='overwater#1' post='44593' date='Aug 12 2007, 08:58 PM']:huh: Im 16 too.. Since when is 11 pm late for a teenager..? Im back at about 1 the latest from gigs... :)

Im only just starting out anyway. Been playing..what, 3-4 years? Something like that, if that.

Anyway, amp+bass..no effects. Must get me an effects unit one day for some fun, but I like the tone of my bass so much, I can't be bothered with any.

Overwater Progress 3. Mahogany with English Walnut front. Rosewood board. Maple wenge 5pc thru neck.
Trace Elliot AH400SMX, 1048 cab, 1153 cab.
Trace Elliot GP11 1x15 combo

Once again, please ignore the couch..its my mums taste :huh:

[/quote]

:huh: 3 words. spoilt. rich. w***er. Nah i'm joking- i'm sure in 1-1/2 years time i'll have all stuff like that :huh:

gr8 to see ppl on here my age, i thought most of the ppl on here were 30 or 40 somethings under the thumb of their masters.

Hey, 18 years old here, been playing for 5 years.

And no mooching off the parents either! Ive worked at Beamish Museum for 3 years and before that I delivered the Advertisers. :)

Basses are a Fender USA P, EBMM Ray5 and Squier P.

[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2998047800056487155QdilnU"][/url]

Amps are GK 1001/Neo

The 112 small rig.
[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2298551410056487155xfUBzn"][/url]

212 big rig.
[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2134724620056487155iRZczF"][/url]

And the inevitable 312 HUGE rig.
[url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2296586450056487155sxPImA"][/url]

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='47884' date='Aug 20 2007, 06:25 PM']:huh: 3 words. spoilt. rich. w***er. Nah i'm joking- i'm sure in 1-1/2 years time i'll have all stuff like that :huh:

gr8 to see ppl on here my age, i thought most of the ppl on here were 30 or 40 somethings under the thumb of their masters.[/quote]

Ok, all those under the thumb of their masters step forward, in an orderly line please! :)

i'm no longer a teenager at 21, as much as i try to pretend thats not the case! but i'm still using the same setup now as i was when i was 17/18, which is this:

only difference now is that the remainder of the Schroeder (the inner 10" blew) is part of the audio in my van. and i'm using the mixer/poweramp because my EA packed in.

as with a lot of the great yunguns here, i worked hard to pay for my setup myself, no rich parents to mooch offov

Tom

Edited by wotnwhy

ah man :) im not even going to put up a picture :huh:

im playing a yamaha rbx170, so crap compared to alot of these! although it is a very good bass for the money (£150) and it plays pretty well, ive been playing for 1-1/2 years so ill have to move on :'(
...im going to get a job...and then.....a decent p-bass

I'd also like to add that my rig was all bought and paid for by me from money earned by doing either paper rounds or mind-numbing shop assistant-type jobs. It's good to see so many (supposedly lazy, good-for-nothing) young people here working hard for themselves rather than taking the easy route of simply relying on others.

My Basses

Im 18 been playing since I was 13-14 unfortunately dont have my first bass.. miss it alot. An Encore P-Bass which actually was really good.

I at one point had a Stagg Jazz Bass but (no offense to any owners/lovers of) it was unplayably s**t so got rid of it. Bought for 30 quid sold for 30 quid what do ya expect.

Left to right

Dean Edge something
Custom 4 Fretless Solid Mahogany active Pickups.. Beautiful Low profile Neck
H & S 6 string Sequoia Natural Passive (S'allright)
Mania VTB-4 Active
Conklin GT-7 (Absolutely Beautiful)

haha the funny thing is, my gear isnt great but some 30 somthing year old guy started giving me sh*t for having a squier bass!

i just said, "im sorry i cant afford the best bass in the world, i play bass because i enjoy bass, not because i have a fancy expessive instrument"

in time i already know what bass im saving up for anyways, and yes for the matter i am saving up all the money for it :)

GRRR what a gimp :huh:

[quote name='cai!' post='57139' date='Sep 7 2007, 06:43 PM']i just said, "im sorry i cant afford the best bass in the world, i play bass because i enjoy bass, not because i have a fancy expessive instrument"[/quote]
I think you handled that superbly. :) Was he stuck for something to say in reply?

[quote name='cai!' post='57139' date='Sep 7 2007, 06:43 PM']haha the funny thing is, my gear isnt great but some 30 somthing year old guy started giving me sh*t for having a squier bass!

i just said, "im sorry i cant afford the best bass in the world, i play bass because i enjoy bass, not because i have a fancy expessive instrument"

in time i already know what bass im saving up for anyways, and yes for the matter i am saving up all the money for it :)

GRRR what a gimp :huh:[/quote] Tell him to go and have unsupervised sex. I 'm sure he must practice onerism.

when i was a teenager my rig was a marshall 8x10 ashdown pre crown power and aphex rack comp, all thanks to selling my usa jazz deluxe which was lush but sacrifices must be made some times. i'll have to try and dig some pics up if i have any.

p.s i'm now only 22.

Edited by nash

I like to buy a brand for nostalgia or for having a reliable reputation. I love the way when I think of Fender; I conjure up images of an old artisan in a little southern state woodshop creating tangible magic. This is unrealistic of course, but it's nice to kid myself when I look at the logo. You don't get that anymore with industrial style set ups where there is no culture captured within the brand; just science, sterility, cost cutting and an emotionally uninvolved work-force (presumably). To be honest, I find it difficult to think of a manufacturer that creates or markets towards my interests, which is a crying shame. Can you think of a brand that is humble, ethical, honest, reliable, creates an instrument with a quality tone, doesn't add ridiculous mark-up based on reputation and is affordable to the gigging bassist? I'm probably typing in ideals as per usual. Although, it's the customer who dictates price, obviously there's enough demand for the different price brackets. Ironically, the idea of far east production has probably forced competition on unreasonable retail prices thanks to our stingey human nature.

Otherwise, value for money comes first. So long as they're being produced I'd much rather have a Cardinal Series Aria Pro than a vintage Fender Precision. A Toby Pro, Mania or SUB than an expensive active equivalent. I think it's unnecessary to pine for the wrong reasons when there is such good quality and good value instruments available. There are other things involved of course like how ethical a company is regarding to labor, tree felling etc.. but my pet peeve is the rock bottom Staggs and Encores amongst others I've had the misfortune of playing, who's only aim it seems is to trick naive parents in to buying them for Christmas presents.

Rant rant rant.

Amps are a problem though, I have expensive tastes....valves. Unfortunately, I'll probably always feel a slight nagging disappointment in my tone, but that's just tough cheese until I'm earning some serious moneys.

It's all bollocks really though, I have a friend that used gig with a £80 Hofner copy and an 18" HH combo his uncle gave him. It was awesome tone wise and was a good work out lifting the amp out of the boot.

This all said, I'd still really like a vintage Gibson EB-3l - but only because I haven't seen a good enough equivalent.