Why become a member? ×

Calling all teenagers

Kiwi

[quote name='paul, the' post='186920' date='Apr 28 2008, 12:19 AM']A fairly sly way of going about things. You'll know what you'll like after a while too.[/quote]

I don't know if id call it sly! I plan to make a loss on everything I purchase, but like to try out new gear. transition basses are a great way to keep your money free whilst forming some valuble opinions.

For example, I sold my mule bass for £400, and at the same time traded my ibanez for a yamaha. A nice lakland came up for 450, so I put £50 in my bass pot and bought that. Then the bongo came up, I sold both basses for £600, put £150 in and voilà! One bongo! Without ever spending more than £200 in one go! :)

[quote name='ste_m3' post='186925' date='Apr 28 2008, 12:35 AM']I don't know if id call it sly! I plan to make a loss on everything I purchase, but like to try out new gear. transition basses are a great way to keep your money free whilst forming some valuble opinions.

For example, I sold my mule bass for £400, and at the same time traded my ibanez for a yamaha. A nice lakland came up for 450, so I put £50 in my bass pot and bought that. Then the bongo came up, I sold both basses for £600, put £150 in and voilà! One bongo! Without ever spending more than £200 in one go! :huh:[/quote]

mhm sounds like a good idea. Though I already know MIM Fender Jazz basses are hard to shift :)

[quote name='Exile252' post='186906' date='Apr 27 2008, 11:59 PM']That helps..... only slightly..... haha. Where do you guys get all the money for your rigs?[/quote]
Christmas, EMA, dodgy dealings etc :) I get most of my money from selling gear and other stuff.... EG i sold my jay turser and put some money towards my tobias. I got my musicman for christmas, i put some money towards that too. I sold my behringer amp and put that money towards my ampeg, just bought my ashdown stack for less than the ampeg cost me so i'm selling the ampeg and that makes up the money for the ashdown. Plus i have a savings account, there's currently £500 but there should be about £900 because i keep loaning myself the money. It's kind of a good idea, interest free loan as long as i pay it back in again.

Wait.... You get EMA and you got a Musicman for crimbo? Dude, we live in a weird government, I don't get EMA and my parents could bearly afford my Fender for my 18th.
I'm aiming for either a Musicman or Lakland next, dunno which, I've tried the Stingrays before and they are bloody amazing.

quite annoying, im 24 now, only been playing just over 2 years and there are 16 year olds with better knowledge and a HELL of a lot better then me.

:'(

Im happy with my gear for now for a noob, see my sig for my stuff. suppose I should start looking for a band, but my friends are either stupidly amazing and im nowhere neer thier level cause they have been giging for 10+ years, or my other mates "play guitar" and I ask them to play a D and they play an F# or something.

Mehh, ill stick to being a bedroom bassist

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='188318' date='Apr 29 2008, 06:55 PM']quite annoying, im 24 now, only been playing just over 2 years and there are 16 year olds with better knowledge and a HELL of a lot better then me.

Im happy with my gear for now for a noob, see my sig for my stuff. suppose I should start looking for a band, but my friends are either stupidly amazing and im nowhere neer thier level cause they have been giging for 10+ years, or my other mates "play guitar" and I ask them to play a D and they play an F# or something.

Mehh, ill stick to being a bedroom bassist[/quote]

Comparing yourself with others is the only thing that is holding you back.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='188318' date='Apr 29 2008, 06:55 PM']quite annoying, im 24 now, only been playing just over 2 years and there are 16 year olds with better knowledge and a HELL of a lot better then me.

Mehh, ill stick to being a bedroom bassist[/quote]
You have better stuff than me! But since I gig a bit my basses wear there scars with pride. And +1 to EMA being dumb.

[quote name='jono b' post='188407' date='Apr 29 2008, 08:51 PM']What is EMA? Am I the only who doesn't know? Or is it an English thing?[/quote]
It is money you get which ranges from £10 to £30 depending on the income of the household you live in. If that household get's less than £30k a year you get EMA each week. The lower the household income, the higher the EMA each week. But since my parents still live together, I have to get off my backside and do work to earn my money while my classmates get money for sitting on their backsides. How fair is that?

And they don't learn the value of money.

Edited by Stan_da_man

[quote name='jono b' post='188407' date='Apr 29 2008, 08:51 PM']What is EMA? Am I the only who doesn't know? Or is it an English thing?[/quote]
It's Education Maintenance Allowance - if your household income is below a certain level and you're in further education (bursaries are just for higher education), you get paid £30 a week or in some cases more... I think - here are some of the reasons I think it's ridiculous:
1. It's generally spent on luxury items rather than anything to do with education such as books/stationary etc
2. A lot of the people who get it actually have a higher household income than they declare, because of benefits or untaxable income or whatever... same goes for most benefits, really
3. The student gets it rather than the parents who are supporting them
4. In a lot of cases, they really don't need the money and could just get a job
5. My parents earned just above the threshold so I had to get a job to afford my basses - yep, I'm biased :)