Why become a member? ×

Calling all teenagers

Kiwi

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='94110' date='Nov 25 2007, 01:17 PM']Just under €2,000?!?!? I know someone who has that exact bass, and I don't think it cost him that much... I can't honestly say I recommend it either... he seems to like it and apparently he barely plays his other basses, buttt he does play a lot of widdly upper fret stuff and he moved on from a 4 to a 5 to a 6 beforehand, so in other words, get yourself into ERBs before you go crazy :)[/quote]

yeah i think the site is a bit of a rip-off to be honest, they're selling a USA peavey milenium for €2090. I think you can get conklins on ebay for like £5-600 or something like that. I did see one once but i don't remember the price.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='94110' date='Nov 25 2007, 01:17 PM']Just under €2,000?!?!? I know someone who has that exact bass, and I don't think it cost him that much... I can't honestly say I recommend it either... he seems to like it and apparently he barely plays his other basses, buttt he does play a lot of widdly upper fret stuff and he moved on from a 4 to a 5 to a 6 beforehand, so in other words, get yourself into ERBs before you go crazy :huh:[/quote]

but it's sooo bitchin'!!! Besides i do play quite high and i've got a 5 string.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='95735' date='Nov 28 2007, 05:58 PM']yeah i think the site is a bit of a rip-off to be honest, they're selling a USA peavey milenium for €2090. I think you can get conklins on ebay for like £5-600 or something like that. I did see one once but i don't remember the price.

but it's sooo bitchin'!!! Besides i do play quite high and i've got a 5 string.[/quote]

Hahaha! Alright then, but seriously, you can get a 7-string for much much less than that - I'd recommend one like my own, although I actually have a low F# which is presumably not what you're after, but you can probably get something vaguely similar without paying ridiculous amounts - better still, get the 8-string version!

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='95739' date='Nov 28 2007, 06:07 PM']Hahaha! Alright then, but seriously, you can get a 7-string for much much less than that - I'd recommend one like my own, although I actually have a low F# which is presumably not what you're after, but you can probably get something vaguely similar without paying ridiculous amounts - better still, get the 8-string version![/quote]

I know what you mean. But i want to start getting more expensive stuff otherwise i'll end up with loads of cheap basses. Seems that suits you tho :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bill-Dickens-Signature-Model-7-String-Bass-Conklin_W0QQitemZ150189392170QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bill-Dickens-Signatu...1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bill-Dickens-Signatu...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]</a>

Besides depends what you define as a "ridiculous amount." It might be £800 but if it looks, feels and sounds like an £800 bass or better then it's not a ridiculous price.

Edited by EdwardHimself

You guys all have huge rigs!

I'm 15, been playing bass for 3 years (So does that count as starting out?)
But I've played Clarinet for about 4, and piano for about 8

I think Overwater#1 is winning so far, an Overwater, a Trace stack AND a combo? :)

MIM Jazz through Peavey MAX 450 and Ashdown MAG 115. I've got this self-build fender/thunderbird shaped thing too

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='96804' date='Nov 30 2007, 04:43 PM']I know what you mean. But i want to start getting more expensive stuff otherwise i'll end up with loads of cheap basses. Seems that suits you tho :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bill-Dickens-Signature-Model-7-String-Bass-Conklin_W0QQitemZ150189392170QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bill-Dickens-Signatu...1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bill-Dickens-Signatu...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]</a>

Besides depends what you define as a "ridiculous amount." It might be £800 but if it looks, feels and sounds like an £800 bass or better then it's not a ridiculous price.[/quote]

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean rubbish though - they all have a use, apart from one 5-string which was my first decent bass and I've lent it to a friend until I can find someone who wants to give me £100 for it... if I had one less bass, what would I do if I wanted to play a 4-string, or a 5-string, or a 6-string, or a 7-string, or and 8-string, or a fretless, or a semi-fretless, or an acoustic? It'll be a long time before I want to spend more than £500 on a bass - I'd always be asking myself why I didn't spend it on amplification, coz for the money, that's what's gonna give you a better sound... I'd rather have a cheap bass and a good amp than the other way around!
Anyway, it's up to you, of course - if you think you'll get good value for money, go for it, but the important think is to think of what else you could be spending the money on and decide what you'd rather have! Effects, amplification, accessories, more basses and of course non-bass-related stuff - in other words, before you spend a large amount of money, think of all the important factors! Sorry if that all sounds immensely patronising - I'm just justifying my logic!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='97719' date='Dec 2 2007, 06:40 PM']that's exactly what i think as well. But if i have a good amp already then why not get a good bass to go with it? :huh:[/quote]

Well, in my case I prefer quantity over quality :huh: Well, variety anyway... and I'm always after bargains, so I've only bought a couple of basses new :huh: Probably not the best way of doing things
Anyway, I asked my friend and it seems he did pay £800 for it, so it seems it's probably a good deal :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey all, thought i might aswell add my piece to this thread.

Im 17 and been playing for 3 years in january, regularly gigging for 2 and a half of those.

looking at some of the equipment you guys have on here this all seems like cheap crap, but all i can do for the mo as i have just moved into my own place.

please excuse the mess, only place to put the equipment is in a bike garage! :)

setup is: Yamaha RBX 375 bass,
peavey tnt 115 combo with a peavey 4x10 cab.

pedals are : Digitech BSW, Russian big muff, marshall jackhammer, behringer chorus and a zoom multi fx. the other few pedals there that arent connected are a behringer flange and behringer phaser.

Edited by Motocross_nick

[quote name='dlloyd' post='57507' date='Sep 8 2007, 07:12 PM']When I was your age, I'd just bought a Westone Spectrum II.[/quote]
SNAP! I had a Westone Spectrum II when I was 18 and didn't get my Jaydee Supernatural MK until I was 20. Sweet jesus, some of you guys are seriously lucky, [b]even [/b]if you work to afford the gear. I couldn't get a decent paying job where I lived to fund some of that sort of stuff even if bust my balls.

Good on ya :)

[quote name='bassboy115' post='112555' date='Jan 2 2008, 08:21 PM']those warwicks are gorgeous[/quote]
Thanks man.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='112597' date='Jan 2 2008, 09:57 PM']SNAP! I had a Westone Spectrum II when I was 18 and didn't get my Jaydee Supernatural MK until I was 20. Sweet jesus, some of you guys are seriously lucky, [b]even [/b]if you work to afford the gear. I couldn't get a decent paying job where I lived to fund some of that sort of stuff even if bust my balls.

Good on ya :)[/quote]

My Sainsburys job pays pretty damn well and I only have one thing to pay monthly and that's £80 rent so al the rest is purely bass money.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='113185' date='Jan 3 2008, 08:46 PM']Not bad at all, I really like Warwick basses, and you've got two really nice ones there.[/quote]

Thanks man, just need a Thumb NT and a Streamer Stage II then I'll be happy.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='paul, the' post='57552' date='Sep 8 2007, 09:13 PM']ICan you think of a brand that is humble, ethical, honest, reliable, creates an instrument with a quality tone, doesn't add ridiculous mark-up based on reputation and is affordable to the gigging bassist?[/quote]

Basses: Musicman
Amps: Hartke

Both of those companies have ethical policies, products that don't cost an arm and a leg, and if you really really want to, you can talk to the head honcho (Sterling Ball and Larry Hartke respectively) to clear up any issues.

I bet a lot of the smaller companies are similar, but wont fit into your 'affordable to the gigging bassist' category.

• 3 months later...

I'm 18 and have been playing bass for 5 years. I have ATM:

Basses:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio in black with mirrored pickguard
Yamaha RBX675A in translucent blue (strung E-C)
Ibanez GSR205 in black (strung E-C)
Aria Pro II MAB-40 fretless in black

Amps/Cabs:
Peavey Tour 450
Behringer BX4500H
2x Hartke 410TP (Hartke 810TP really)
Laney R2

Pedals (not that I really use any):
Boss ME-50B w/ Boss fs-5u
Digitech X Bass Chorus
Nobels ODR-1 Plus
Artec SE-ADL delay
Behringer BDI21
Behringer DC9 compressor
Fender PT-100 tuner

Think that's everything!

Edited by Stan_da_man

[quote name='Jack' post='114687' date='Jan 6 2008, 03:10 PM']Basses: Musicman
Amps: Hartke

Both of those companies have ethical policies, products that don't cost an arm and a leg, and if you really really want to, you can talk to the head honcho (Sterling Ball and Larry Hartke respectively) to clear up any issues.

I bet a lot of the smaller companies are similar, but wont fit into your 'affordable to the gigging bassist' category.[/quote]
Yeah, musicmans are still fairly expensive to me, but for something of that quality it is fairly reasonable, a match for a lot of custom shops. Plus i really respect sterling for actually talking to his customers at any given opportunity on the forums, makes the whole thing a lot more personal. The company is actually a lot smaller than you might think!

(PS is sterling his real name?)

I'm 18, been playing for just under 2 years and I have:

Basses:

Spector Legend 4 in Black Cherry
Hartke SB15 (from starter pack)

[attachment=7549:Spector_bass_001.jpg]
^My Spector and Ashdown

[attachment=7550:Horror_m...work_001.jpg]

Bass amplifiers:

Ashdown EB15-180W
Hartke B150 (15W)

Effects:

Zoom B2

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='174810' date='Apr 11 2008, 07:48 PM']Im 17, been playing for 4 years and this is what i have!

[/quote]

how can you possibly afford that at 17???

if you live at home, i hope you pay your parents rent, as you can clearlyyyy afford to!