Why become a member? ×

Have you ever thought something was a good idea....

Bilbo

It seemed like a good idea at the time and now I am thinking... :P ;) :huh:

[url="http://www.equinoxpub.com/books/showbook.asp?bkid=395"]http://www.equinoxpub.com/books/showbook.asp?bkid=395[/url]

Wish me luck; I'm going in! :)
:

Edited by bilbo230763

He wrote the book. I like this:

He has performed and recorded with some of the leading British jazz musicians including as Jim Mullen, Iain Ballamy, Stan Sultzman, Janusz Carmello, Dave DeFries, Tim Whitehead and Roy Williams.
His ambition is to play with one of these guys twice.

;)

Big respect. I'd love to write a book, but the commitment involved scares the life out of me.

Hey fab!
Well done that man.
I hope there's a chapter of analysis of the styles of Paul Davis Vs Carole Kaye ;)

Iain Ballamy caught me out a few years ago when I trotted off to see him and to eat the advertised food at our local nice restaurant/jazz venue only to find the advertised Food was the name of his band that week .. I hope my rumbling tum didn't detract from the music ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='394940' date='Jan 29 2009, 09:04 PM']Hey fab!
Well done that man.
I hope there's a chapter of analysis of the styles of Paul Davis Vs Carole Kaye :angry:[/quote]

Apparently, it was her on 'Kind Of Blue' ;)

[quote name='OldGit' post='394940' date='Jan 29 2009, 09:04 PM']Iain Ballamy caught me out a few years ago when I trotted off to see him and to eat the advertised food at our local nice restaurant/jazz venue only to find the advertised Food was the name of his band that week .. I hope my rumbling tum didn't detract from the music ...[/quote]

I actually think Iain is one of the most exciting and creative players in the UK today - he is a true original. I played a set with him in Guildford about 10 years ago and it was a thrill for me (I suspect it was a bit less of an occasion for him). I was doing several gigs with his father, Mark, and Iain was there for Mark's birthday party and played.

I had a brief chat with him afterwards and he gave me one piece of advice (really!).

'LEARN TO READ'!! :P :) :huh:

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='394847' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:36 PM']It seemed like a good idea at the time and now I am thinking... :unsure: :blink: :o
[url="http://www.equinoxpub.com/books/showbook.asp?bkid=395"]http://www.equinoxpub.com/books/showbook.asp?bkid=395[/url]
Wish me luck; I'm going in! :lol:[/quote]

Good on yer Bilbo. Is it going to be submitted to the jazz critics in the posh papers?

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='395276' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:42 AM']Good on yer Bilbo. Is it going to be submitted to the jazz critics in the posh papers?[/quote]

Probably - which is where it gets scary - people who are interested enough to look will probably know more about the subjects discussed than me and I could easily come out of this looking like a complete berk ;)

But what spurred me on was a colleague saying that the only thing worse than writing this book badly would be not to write it at all. Its a story that needs to be told and noone else is telling it so I thought I would. If someone says it is crap and writes a better one, then it has achieved its purpose!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='395291' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:53 AM']Was it red? might have been the same one i read.[/quote]

Hardly likely. Paul's in Hemel Hempstead, miles away.

But I left a book on the bus at Hexham once, maybe that was it.

D'oh! You're in Wrexham, not Hexham.

The mystery deepens.

Edited by bremen

[quote name='Golchen' post='395331' date='Jan 30 2009, 12:30 PM']You wrote the book then Bilbo??[/quote]

No, I am still writing it. The publishing date is June 2010 so, despite my enthusaism for the project 'pre-contract', it has now got a bit scary (I've never done this before either). I now have to put up or shut up! They clearly liked the two chapters I already submitted and a third has been seen and liked by other parties so I am cool with that one too but I have 7 more to finish and limited time to finish them in. Hence the title of this thread.

But, in the end, it is like eating an elephant. You take one bite at a time and chew.

I published a book last year. There's nothing better than the feeling you get when the jiffy bag containing your complimentary copies drops through the letter box.

Well, there is a better feeling, namely when your first royalty cheque drops through the letter box, but it's something of a niche subject, so royalties aren't great.