Why become a member? ×

Easy ways to sound like a double bass?

ZMech

I have a slight challenge. I've offered to play bass guitar for my halls performance of guys 'n' dolls, but the MD has asked if I can get my tone as much like that of a double bass, since that's what it's originally scored for, that and it fits the era better. So I was wondering whether any of you had advice as to things I could do that aren't buy a new bass. My thoughts so far were to stuff sponge under the bridge, and some sort of fiddling with the EQ setting, maybe a \ shape.

So you know what I'm working with, my bass is a spector rebop, and the amp has a 7band graphical EQ. Shall do some experimentation after my exam on tuesday. One other thought that came to mind was only using the neck pickup and playing almost over the 24th fret, think it'd help?

Cheers in advance.

Edit: I've still yet to change the strings from when I bought the bass second hand early last year, but I think they're roundwounds. Are there any strings that'd help?

Edited by Zach

[quote name='Zach' post='391324' date='Jan 25 2009, 11:00 PM']One other thought that came to mind was only using the neck pickup and playing almost over the 24th fret, think it'd help?

Cheers in advance.[/quote]

That will help. I would suggest using flats, ideally the black nylon tapewound ones. They will give more of a double bass sound than steel roundwounds

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Zach' post='391324' date='Jan 25 2009, 11:00 PM']....I have a slight challenge. I've offered to play bass guitar for my halls performance of guys 'n' dolls, but the MD has asked if I can get my tone as much like that of a double bass, since that's what it's originally scored for, that and it fits the era better....[/quote]
Try foam. Oh and tell your MD he is a luddite!

All sounds like good advice, seems like i'm gonna have to go buy some sponges! Have any of you had experience with rotosound trubass Vs La bella deep talking' strings? Since they seem to be the best two to buy, especially since they're only £23 on stringbusters (presume they're the cheapest site?).

Also, don't worry Chris, I've passed on the message via facebook, shall let you know his response.

Another option might be to grab some Thomastik Jazz Flatwounds and play at the base of the neck. Have never needed any bridge mutes with these strings as they are very, very mellow sounding.

I've set up my Streamer STD for a similar purpose. Note the added neck thumbrest.

[attachment=19216:thumbrestwide.jpg]

Edited by rjb

Firstly, try not to sound like a double bass - you need to fill similar sonic space to an upright rather than 'sound like' one. You need to swing, not to sound like a double bass.
Play near the neck not at the bridge. Get rid of the mids in your signal (top is ok, its the mids that make it sound, errr, 'electric'), lots of bass and treble on the eq but not too boomy or clanky. Use your ears to ensure that the bass sound sits underneath everything else and blends into the overall sound of the ensemble - like you know its there but noone can hear it except you. Or like noone knows your are there unless you stop.

In truth, you are trying to achieve in one month what I have taken 10 years to achieve (and still haven't nailed). Good luck!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='391435' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:14 AM']Firstly, try not to sound like a double bass - you need to fill similar sonic space to an upright rather than 'sound like' one. You need to swing, not to sound like a double bass.[/quote]

Well said.

[quote name='Zach' post='391348' date='Jan 25 2009, 11:40 PM']All sounds like good advice, seems like i'm gonna have to go buy some sponges! Have any of you had experience with rotosound trubass Vs La bella deep talking' strings? Since they seem to be the best two to buy, especially since they're only £23 on stringbusters (presume they're the cheapest site?).

Also, don't worry Chris, I've passed on the message via facebook, shall let you know his response.[/quote]

don't use Rotosound TruBass, they are very thick and would need work on the nut. LaBella black nylon tapewounds can usually squeeze into a nut cut for standard gauge

The sponge stuff really works. Another thing I found helps is to use a reverb with the smallest room setting (it was an Alesis Microverb) mixed about 50-50, which to an extent emulates the body resonance of an acoustic bass.
It may sound daft, but even holding the bass more uprightly than normal helps you to play more like an acoustic bass.
I did use a fretless with roundwound strings, but flats do sound more "acoustic" and thumpy.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='391504' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:55 AM']don't use Rotosound TruBass, they are very thick and would need work on the nut. LaBella black nylon tapewounds can usually squeeze into a nut cut for standard gauge[/quote]

I've used Roto TruBass on my fretless Precision without needing any work on the nut - I normally use 50 to 105 guage, so reasonably standard.

+1 for TI Jazz Flats and -1 for La Bellas. The latter sound very electric. I play (or played) TIs on a maple fretless neck and pretty much everyone who heard the track thought it was an upright. As has been said above, play near the neck and scoop the mids. The highs will provide the percussive effect that is often associated with uprights. All that having eben said, listening to a lot of upright bass recordings and getting a feel for how the guys play will probably have the biggest impact.
Chris

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='392099' date='Jan 26 2009, 08:39 PM']All of the above really. It's times like these a Telecaster Bass would come to the rescue. :P[/quote]

Really, my Tele doesn't sound like an upright at all, just like an electric bass on 'roids? A fretless Tele would certainly be interesting, but as I said on another thread earlier, what I love about the Tele is that no matter where I set the highs, it makes no difference ;)

[quote name='rjb' post='391422' date='Jan 26 2009, 08:25 AM']Another option might be to grab some Thomastik Jazz Flatwounds and play at the base of the neck. Have never needed any bridge mutes with these strings as they are very, very mellow sounding.

I've set up my Streamer STD for a similar purpose. Note the added neck thumbrest.

[attachment=19216:thumbrestwide.jpg][/quote]

i think these are the worlds best flats

as for urb sound from and electric...its a long haul

initially go for the quick decay and mid boost..to take out the mud and fullness

i heard a pro bassist playing an urb through a laney combo...it sounded just like an urb...so electronics cant be held to do much...i dont think

mainly your electric will sound more like a urb when doing pizzicato on the top strings with vol low and digging in for the output...rather than let an amp do the work

Edited by mrcrow

Some great advice by the sounds of it! Think i'll go for the thomastic flats, if i can find them for a reasonable price.

For some reason I always feel suprised at how many people are helpful enough to give opinions on things like this! I should really be used to it by now.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='391435' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:14 AM']Firstly, try not to sound like a double bass - you need to fill similar sonic space to an upright rather than 'sound like' one. You need to swing, not to sound like a double bass.
Play near the neck not at the bridge. Get rid of the mids in your signal (top is ok, its the mids that make it sound, errr, 'electric'), lots of bass and treble on the eq but not too boomy or clanky. Use your ears to ensure that the bass sound sits underneath everything else and blends into the overall sound of the ensemble - like you know its there but noone can hear it except you. Or like noone knows your are there unless you stop.

In truth, you are trying to achieve in one month what I have taken 10 years to achieve (and still haven't nailed). Good luck![/quote]

Well I just spent the last few hours doing thermofluid mechanics. How hard can played like an urb be in comparison? ;)

In my VERY limited DB experience the TI flats might not be the best flats to choose,too soft. Choose a set with higher tension and use a harder foam mute closer to the bridge. If you use soft feeling flats and a big hunk of soft foam you end up with a soft thud, a double bas is a VERY alive sound, just different from an electric bass.

• 1 year later...

Flats and pluck the strings near the neck will get you that type of sound but not exactly like it tho.

I recently just got a Stagg Electric Double Bass and it sound nothing like my other bass. I usually don't like that much thump and bass but it sits and suits well on a DB. Someone mention about taking the mids out and have lots of bass and treble. His damn right, the mids make the DB sound terrible ........ After i taken the mids out the bass just sound so great.