Why become a member? Ɨ

My type is...

moley6knipe

My type is... continually changing between the 4 I own (a J, P and MM type, plus one other very different one). Of course Iā€™m always looking outside those (damn you GAS), but Iā€™m pretty sure I donā€™t ā€˜needā€™ anything else. Following on from a gig I did last Saturday and a couple of threads here on BC (Iā€™m easily influenced) Iā€™m currently thinking my MM styleĀ fretless is my type.

The only thing I've learned so far is I prefer humbuckers to J or P's.Ā 

Purely aesthetically, I prefer natural wood to paint, and I like the look and feel of through necks more than bolt ons (although I don't currently own one). I prefer modern looking basses and the old Fenders or Fender style basses do nothing for me at all.Ā 

Everything else is still up in the air. I'm just starting to experiment with 5 and 6 strings. But I have no idea about string spacing and haven't yet developed any taste for a particular brand of strings. Although given the option i'd probably take Elixirs, having used them on my acoustic for years.Ā 

I find a happy place on a 4 string with a P (reversed) and J combo, 38mm nut, 24 frets, 2 band active preamp (ideally with optional passive circuit and passive tone), good forearm contour on a slightly downsizedĀ bodyĀ and some form of de-tuner on the E string. Woods and colour are irrelevant.

That being said, I love a spicy curry but that doesnā€™t mean Iā€™d want to eat one every day. I love the variety too and being able to play variations of bass design is one of the great joys in life.

As some may know, I rather like Precisions. And back as far as I can remember I always went for rosewood fretboards. Until my current band, when we started playing on stages with big lighting and I realised I was finding it difficult to see where I was on said rosewood, so I swapped to maple.Ā 

I like my basses to be passive, solid black, if a scratchplate then B/W/B, maple neck and fretboard, split P type Humbucker.Ā  Either Fender shaped or double cutaway

HoweverĀ the bass I play the most is my Gibson Les Paul Jnr DC which ticks only some of those boxes.