Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

You’d think that Seven Nation Army could be used in something.

I have looked, and found nothing from the modern hymnal that fits.

However, I was once in a ukulele band that did a swing version of Tainted Love, and realised that the chord sequence of Tainted Love was the same as that from Seven Nation Army, Stray Cat Strut, and Sweet Dreams Are Made of This. 

Thus it is my ambition to find a Worship song that uses the same chords.

However, I am stuck with playing the bassline to a U2 song, to every worship song written in the past 10 years.

So in both cases, I still haven't found what I am looking for.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 06/12/2023 at 17:45, Owen said:

I do try and slip Teen Spirit in wherever I can, in whatever playing situation.

And don’t forget that “The Joker” by the Steve Miller Band is a good utility bassline for many worship tunes, “Lord I Lift Your Name On High” in particular.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Devers95 said:

What opportunities are there to play in church in the UK? Id love to do that but always thought it was an american thing! I'll have to see if there's anything in sheffield. Are there facebook groups or anything for stuff like this?

Yeah - it’s not like the American thing where it’s a paid gig.

Generally you become part of a church and then you volunteer to make noise on some Sunday mornings.

some churches it’s playing along with just one other instrument, some it’s Freeform and improvisational in terms of song choice, some church it’s a more polished and practiced and you get given the exact dots you need to play. And everything inbetween.

As long as you realise it’s part of a community expressing something, with all the flaws and foibles of any community made out of the foolish things it’s fun.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We don't usually have a mid-week rehearsal for our church band but with our carol service coming up on Christmas Eve we had a get together last night.  I really enjoyed trying out the songs and arrangements and felt that I was a better player by the end.  We had the usual situation of several different versions of the same song.  Three of us had the lyrics for "O Come, O Come Immanuel"  while the rest had different verses to "O Come, O Come Emmanuel"!  One of my chord charts must have been put together by Eric Morecambe as I had all the right verses but not necessarily in the right order!

Our usual run through happens on a Sunday morning about an hour before the service but I would really like a mid-week rehearsal to explore the arrangements and just spend time with the rest of the band.  Sadly I am in the minority so playing along to mp3s at home will need to continue.  Do you have regular band rehearsal during the week?

Whoever is in the band on Sunday has rehearsal Thursday or Friday before the service.

We (almost) solved the problem of different versions of songs by always specifying the CCLI number for the version we're playing and downloading from there. Then if we change we can at least all change together!

Twelve piece band rehearsal for Christmas Eve tonight. I'm neither playing nor on any tech this year, so I intend to enjoy the service and worship loudly and inaccurately. 👼

10 hours ago, LeftyP said:

We don't usually have a mid-week rehearsal for our church band but with our carol service coming up on Christmas Eve we had a get together last night.  I really enjoyed trying out the songs and arrangements and felt that I was a better player by the end.  We had the usual situation of several different versions of the same song.  Three of us had the lyrics for "O Come, O Come Immanuel"  while the rest had different verses to "O Come, O Come Emmanuel"!  One of my chord charts must have been put together by Eric Morecambe as I had all the right verses but not necessarily in the right order!

Our usual run through happens on a Sunday morning about an hour before the service but I would really like a mid-week rehearsal to explore the arrangements and just spend time with the rest of the band.  Sadly I am in the minority so playing along to mp3s at home will need to continue.  Do you have regular band rehearsal during the week?

We used to have Fri night practice but it went on a long time and by the time Sunday came along the leader often had felt a change or two was needed (after praying about it) so practice was still needed p on the Sunday. So to avoid the long practice on the Fri it was decided to meet earlier on the Sunday to do the practice. Everyone has to be well prepared but it works well as everything is fresh when the service starts and people are thankful to get another evening free. 

We have 4 bands that play in rotation and members so get together socially and for extra experience playing with each other (not just to practice for the Sunday). That really has helped make the sound much better as people know each other better and discuss how to fit into the music in their own space better. 

Before we had the 4 bands you could be playing with diff people every time so even though we had the Friday practice it was a struggle to get the overall sound good. It’s great now and the musicians are clearly worshipping with their instruments and you can see they are more relaxed and joyful. 

Worked for us, you just gotta try different things sometimes. 

Hopefully one day I’ll be asked to join them, just gotta put the practice in!!

Currently i am on the video production side so I’ve seen the positive changes made.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 15:19, EBS_freak said:

Just been through the live stream. Pretty decent that. Interested in what cameras are in use as they are pretty good for ambient light levels.

Sorry @EBS_freak, I just realised I didn't reply to your question. 

They are these:

https://www.rcblogic.co.uk/product/ptzoptics-move-se-20x-zoom-grey

With NDI support.

Towards the end of the pandemic when we were coming back to church there was a debate if we should carry on livestream and if so with what equipment.  The question was answered by a generous donation from some members which paid for three of these, plus the network cabling, poe switches and ancillary controllers.

It is now a key part of our mission,  especially to the elderly and housebound.

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Sorry @EBS_freak, I just realised I didn't reply to your question. 

They are these:

https://www.rcblogic.co.uk/product/ptzoptics-move-se-20x-zoom-grey

With NDI support.

Towards the end of the pandemic when we were coming back to church there was a debate if we should carry on livestream and if so with what equipment.  The question was answered by a generous donation from some members which paid for three of these, plus the network cabling, poe switches and ancillary controllers.

It is now a key part of our mission,  especially to the elderly and housebound.

We did the same during the pandemic and recorded each service BUT nowadays although it’s recorded it’s only available to selected people who cannot come to church for valid reason eg leaders away on church business, terminally ill, long term sick people who can’t get out of the house. We didn’t want people to just watch it at home rather than coming to church. 
I do the live video mixing and recording so it can be sent out Monday AM with little editing. I’ve heard feedback that it’s really appreciated by the people who watch it so it’s nice to make an extra effort for them. 

BTW we have 3x BlackMagic 4k pro G2 cameras with long zoom lenses as we video from the back of the auditorium. It all goes through a black magic ATEM 4 M/E Constellation 4K live production switcher, all controlled with a Mac Mini running the BM software. 
We have the advantage of having a pro video and lighting engineer in our congregation so we got a good deal on it all and we didn’t have to pay to have it installed. 

For livestream and recording we use OBS with a Stream Deck controller.

I run Black Magic DaVinci at home for offline video production - the free version, which is excellent but doesn't support multiple monitors.

We didn't pay for installation either- I hired a scaffold tower and three of us took a day off work to install everything. July 2021, seems like a lifetime ago!

20210702_165226.thumb.jpg.d283396feb3374b57bc8a30141c5e92a.jpg

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So this was today’s set up, as I still have the pins in my left hand where I severely damaged my thumb. Actually quite fun to try and convert bass fills that are second nature on the bass into something similar on the Moog!!

IMG_0911.jpeg

Edited by Risk101
  • Like 4

On 22/12/2023 at 07:33, Minininjarob said:

We used to have Fri night practice but it went on a long time and by the time Sunday came along the leader often had felt a change or two was needed (after praying about it) so practice was still needed p on the Sunday. So to avoid the long practice on the Fri it was decided to meet earlier on the Sunday to do the practice. Everyone has to be well prepared but it works well as everything is fresh when the service starts and people are thankful to get another evening free. 

Exactly the same in our church - Fridays used to be our rehearsal, then a meal at Weatherspoons next door. But it took an evening, and it was rare everyone could make it. So now we meet up an hour before the service - works just as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

So of course I'm being nosy -  trying to read the CCLI number to identify which "Praise" that is and looking at the personal monitor software to see which mixing desk you have.  😁

That was “Praise” by Elevation Worship”.

We use “visi listen” for our in ear mixes but I’m not sure what the desk is. One of those fancy digital things anyway !!

Edited by Risk101
Typo

1 hour ago, Risk101 said:

So this was today’s set up, as I still have the pins in my left hand where I severely damaged my thumb. Actually quite fun to try and convert bass fills that are second nature on the bass into something similar on the Moog!!

IMG_0911.jpeg

Get thee to a prog band! :lol:

• Haha 2