Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Silvia Bluejay

Winter NAMM 2020

Recommended Posts

I know that quite a number of us Basschat members will jump on a plane/train or in a car to Anaheim this coming January. Would be nice to hear if any of you will be exhibiting, performing, or even simply attending.

I want to make a point of meeting @Passinwind in person, seeing I missed him last time I was at the show.

I will obviously check out the new 'Sadowsky by Warwick' models.

I will want to lose myself among the dozens of double basses at those huge Chinese booths, and have to be dragged away by @Happy Jack because it's getting late and we want to see another 12 halls.

I hope to see there most of the companies that didn't make it to the LBGS last September. @Chownybass, @skelf, are you going to be there again this year? Who else?

I will obviously take my usual billion photos and spend the whole of February writing a series of megablogs (as you do...).

Recommendations for things we should not miss? :)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have a semi-official presence at the Marco Bass Guitars booth, Hall D #4728. There will be at least one of my amps in the booth, plus a number of basses featuring my latest onboard preamps.

I'm planning on being there at 10AM and 2:30PM Thurs-Fri-Sat for at least an hour  in each instance for sure, and then it may be hit or miss the rest of the time since I intend to float around a lot. But as always, the show is mostly about the people for me and I will be happy to go wherever it takes for a meet up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be pretty cool to go. They seem to have some amazing jams take place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See also This Thread *. :)

 

*Link deleted, as I've realised the two threads have been merged, so 'This Thread' now is 'this thread', if you know what I mean? 😉

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also finally able to attend The Bass Bash on the Thursday evening, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing Tal in person for the first time, and saying hi to Cody, who has given masterclasses at the LBGS a couple of times.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ambient said:

It would be pretty cool to go. They seem to have some amazing jams take place.

From that point of view, it's very much like it used to be at the LBGS in the past: the bigger booths have a performance space and a timetable with guest names. Some of them will be well-known artists, other will be less well-known but equally, astonishingly good. The performances usually last 20-30 minutes.

Last time I went (2018), the Markbass stand was one huuge stage, with amps and other exhibits all around it, and they had big names with entire bands playing there.

We also saw Lee Sklar at the equally huge but not stage-shaped Warwick booth, and Jack kept bumping into Bootsy no matter what booth he was visiting (and thought he was stalking him!). Best thing, however, is randomly meeting Basschat members you've last seen in person at one of our bashes or at the LBGS. Familiar faces and familiar accents in a sea of bass players and other musicians from around the world. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

From that point of view, it's very much like it used to be at the LBGS in the past: the bigger booths have a performance space and a timetable with guest names. Some of them will be well-known artists, other will be less well-known but equally, astonishingly good. The performances usually last 20-30 minutes.

Last time I went (2018), the Markbass stand was one huuge stage, with amps and other exhibits all around it, and they had big names with entire bands playing there.

We also saw Lee Sklar at the equally huge but not stage-shaped Warwick booth, and Jack kept bumping into Bootsy no matter what booth he was visiting (and thought he was stalking him!). Best thing, however, is randomly meeting Basschat members you've last seen in person at one of our bashes or at the LBGS. Familiar faces and familiar accents in a sea of bass players and other musicians from around the world. :)

I went to one of the original bass days, in a music venue in Manchester. I quite enjoyed it. Janek Gwizdala and Yolanda Charles were both there. That’s got to be at least twelve years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's gone 3pm here in Anaheim and we've managed to talk to John Hall at the Rickenbacker stand, say hi to Roger Sadowsky with a promise of a chat later, spent some time with Tomm of Stonefield, talked to Sheldon Dingwall, and spotted several other familiar exhibitor faces we'll get back to when it's less busy. 

Watch this space!  :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spotted along a wall, in an empty space large enough for a decent-sized booth.

Nuff said. LBGS/UK Guitar Show, please take note. It can be done.

 

 

17-01 NAMM Day 2 605_RE.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t realise you were going. How fantastic. I’ve been looking at the photos people I know are sharing on Facebook, it looks wonderful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 18:06, Silvia Bluejay said:

Spotted along a wall, in an empty space large enough for a decent-sized booth.

Nuff said. LBGS/UK Guitar Show, please take note. It can be done.

17-01 NAMM Day 2 605_RE.jpg

Whose was that booth? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It did not say! On purpose, I think: 'we're not giving you any publicity at all after we've chucked you out of the show'. :)

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

It did not say! On purpose, I think: 'we're not giving you any publicity at all after we've chucked you out of the show'. :)

I think they always put that sign up somewhere near the front in an unused space as a warning. I meant to look up that booth on the show locator map to see if it was legit, but I really needed to hear more slap bass first (as if) and then I forgot about it. At least a few people do get shown the door every year for real in any case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aww no fair, I wanted the dirt :D 

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 18:06, Silvia Bluejay said:

LBGS/UK Guitar Show, please take note. It can be done.

 

Agreed wholeheartedly. Noise at these shows needs to be policed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2020 at 18:06, Silvia Bluejay said:

Spotted along a wall, in an empty space large enough for a decent-sized booth.

Nuff said. LBGS/UK Guitar Show, please take note. It can be done.

 

 

17-01 NAMM Day 2 605_RE.jpg

Sorry!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2020 at 20:49, Passinwind said:

I think they always put that sign up somewhere near the front in an unused space as a warning. I meant to look up that booth on the show locator map to see if it was legit, but I really needed to hear more slap bass first (as if) and then I forgot about it. At least a few people do get shown the door every year for real in any case.

Yup - you got it. The scaremongering tactic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It happen to a stand near us was there on Friday evening completely gone Saturday a 20 x 10 so a fair bit of cash in that. Told that a bass company stand was shut down on Saturday down in hall E. We got asked to turn down a few times but just a pleasant request as we were never really blasting out. But if you go to far one written warning then you are pulled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, the second guy was awesome ... amazing masterclass in standing very still while staring at a tablet on a music stand and playing lots of (rather pointless) notes very quickly. Unfortunately, when I woke up he'd finished.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, the second guy was awesome ... amazing masterclass in standing very still while staring at a tablet on a music stand and playing lots of (rather pointless) notes very quickly. Unfortunately, when I woke up 

Damian Erskine?

 

 

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...