Why become a member? ×

Jean Jacques Burnel Signature model

steve-soar

Surreal thread - yep.

I can't see Fender introducing a JJB while he's using a Shuker tbh.

The guy's a legend and a dude (no offence Dood) - serious sh*t.

Wayne barely knew of Jaco's existence so whatdoya expect. Waynenotsooldpunkdude ;)

I've been asked if I fancy starting up a punk band - bring it on! Stranglers, Jam, Clash....

Peter

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='387495' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:43 PM']How can you play an Instrument and not know the history of it and some the big hitters who have inspired others .

I don't like Motown but Christ was James Jamerson good.

I don't like Iron Maiden but Steve Harris is amazing.

I ain't fan of Reggae, but I know who Aston Barrett is.[/quote]

MB1. ;)
+1000....

"Know Your Rights!"....(saw your avatatar and couldnt resist)......Sorry!,i'll get me Coat! :P

[quote name='jonthebass' post='387242' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:23 AM']I thought Duff has been using Fender Custom Shop made Jazz Specials for years now?[/quote]

I'm no fanatic, but his original Black and White basses were off the hook Jazz Bass Specials. One I believe was sent to him to 'try out'. He had new pups dropping in and I suspect they had a fair amount of work done on them over the years too! - I have read about the 'custom shop' thing before.. but I don't think that is totally true.. Maybe the basses were known as 'custom shops' before they were released to the market as 'Jazz Bass Specials'. Another assumption would be that the two original basses *aren't* the ones he has now.. and these 'replacements' are custom shops, as the original Jap JBS basses aren't made anymore. Maybe there is some clarification out there on the net from Mr McKagan himself?

Personally I believe Fender make too many different basses & guitars, and that they should reduce the ranges they carry...

They should retire a lot of the signature basses... the Sting one for certain... (keep the bass though, just dump the Stinglay) ;)

Just did a count of the current range

19 artist model Basses
28 artist model Electric Guitars

DIY JJB tribute - take one Black P bass at £699 on eBay [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-USA-P-BASS-2008-SPEC-BLACK-MAPLE_W0QQitemZ250358637338QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item250358637338&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-USA-P-BASS-20...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url] and a black after-market scratchplate at £11 [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRECISION-BASS-SCRATCHPLATE-BLACK-OR-WHITE_W0QQitemZ160288486311QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item160288486311&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRECISION-BASS-SCRAT...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url] and Bob's your uncle - all in £710 plus post

[quote name='ped' post='387578' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:53 PM']TBH though, what would be different about his 'signature' model? I don't really get why fender make them unless they are different in ways other than the colour or a mark here and there...

ped[/quote]

The addition of a signature to bump the price up would be the only difference in that particular case! lol Nah.. don't see the point either, unless there is a significant difference in the instrument design.

[quote name='rayfw' post='387294' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:09 AM']Do people seriously not know who JJB is?
I'm a die hard funkster and even I know and appreciate his playing. Maybe it's an age thing?
;)[/quote]
I know who JJ is, really. I'm genuinely surprised that Wayne doesn't know who he is though, especially considering I'm the metal kid round these parts and even I know who he is.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='387379' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:17 PM']The youth of today today, eh? Emo this, nu that, I don't know - I like both kinds of music - metal [b]and[/b] punk.[/quote]
+1, if its good, I'll listen to it.
Zach

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='386972' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:17 PM']Look, I never really got the 70's London thing.

Loved Golden Brown though[/quote]

meh.. you'd be meaning the punk thing.. and the bloke who invented bass for the punk thing.. i mean really..pfft..
preferred the sound of the greenburst one .. through a straight marshall amp (the one that got nicked)

check out 'feel like a wog' sound on the live xcert album.. you can keep your musicman.. meh

[quote name='qed' post='388154' date='Jan 22 2009, 01:22 AM']meh.. you'd be meaning the punk thing.. and the bloke who invented bass for the punk thing.. i mean really..pfft..
preferred the sound of the greenburst one .. through a straight marshall amp (the one that got nicked)

check out 'feel like a wog' sound on the live xcert album.. you can keep your musicman.. meh[/quote]

I don't like being told who and who I shouldn't like/respect, just because I'm influenced by a different generation (and more talented IMO) I shouldn't be told it isn't right.

You wouldn't have a go at someone who listen to Metallica for not liking Deep Purple, would you?

[quote name='Rayman' post='387371' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:09 PM']Me too.

I mentioned the Clash the other day to my mates 18 year old daughter while she raved about various new bands, "never heard of them" was her reply. I felt faint.[/quote]

It's 30 years since the Clash, Stranglers and Ramones (ie my) era. As far from today as the music of 1948 was from 1978. I'm sure I wouldn't have heard of many of these in 1978:

Popular Songs 1948

1. Buttons and Bows - Dinah Shore
2. Nature Boy - Nat King Cole
3. I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover - Art Mooney
4. A Tree In The Meadow - Margaret Whiting
5. Ballerina - Vaughn Monroe
6. Manana (Is Soon Enough For Me) - Peggy Lee
7. Twelfth Street Rag - Pee Wee Hunt
8. Woody Woodpecker - Kay Kyser
9. You Call Everybody Darlin' - Al Trace
10. You Can't Be True, Dear - Ken Griffin
11. Love Somebody - Doris Day
12. Sabre Dance - Woody Herman
13. Cool Water - Vaughn Monroe & The Sons of The Pioneers
14. My Happiness - Jon & Sondra Steel
15. It's Magic - Doris Day
16. Red Roses For A Blue Lady - Vaughn Monroe
17. Because - Perry Como
18. I Love You So Much (It Hurts Me) - The Mills Brothers
19. Baby Face - Art Mooney
20. You Were Only Fooling - Ink Spots
21. Little White Lies - Dick Haymes
22. On A Slow Boat To China - Kay Kyser
23. Hair of Gold, Eyes of Blue - Gordon MacRae
24. Bewildered - Red Miller Trio
25. Toolie Oolie Doolie - The Andrews Sisters
26. Serenade of the Bells - Sammy Kaye
27. Now Is The Hour - Bing Crosby
28. Golden Earrings - Peggy Lee
29. I'll Dance at Your Wedding - Ray Noble
30. My Heart Belongs To You - Arbee Stidham
31. Far Away Places - Bing Crosby 32. All I Want For Christmas is my Two Front Teeth - Spike Jones
33. Beg Your Pardon - Francis Craig
34. Underneath the Arches - Primo Scala
35. So Tired - Russ Morgan
36. My Happiness - The Pied Pipers
37. I'm My Own Grandpa - Guy Lombardo & The Guy Lombardo Trio
38. Confess - Patti Page
39. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm - Les Brown
40. Far Away Places - Margaret Whiting

'a bit too much f***ing perspective...'

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='388452' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:51 PM']I don't like being told who and who I shouldn't like/respect, just because I'm influenced by a different generation (and more talented IMO) I shouldn't be told it isn't right.

You wouldn't have a go at someone who listen to Metallica for not liking Deep Purple, would you?[/quote]

I wouldn't worry, I have no idea who the bloke is and I am a few years older then you I'd guess.

I hate old london punk, and I don't care who played it.

Just like some old jazz player wouldn't know who Jason Newstead is, and why should they care if they never hear it.

It’s bad enough hitting 50 soon, but reading this having seen the Stranglers 3 times back in the late 70’s, I really feel old. :P

Just to twist the knife, I thought about changing my ring tone to something youthful and rebellious (I’m in denial), and looked up God Save the Queen. I eventually found it under “oldies”. ;)

Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course, and yes I'm 43 and the late 70's early 80's were my apprenticeship, but all I'd say is, have some respect for someone like Jean, who is a very talented and influential bass player, regardless of if you know about him or not.

It matters not if it's Charlie Mingus, John Paul Jones, Mark King or Robert Trujillo you're into, they're all top class musicians who deserve some respect.

Jean and others like Tina Weymouth and Colin Moulding were my inspiration to start playing in the early 80's, and I love them all dearly for that.

[quote name='Rayman' post='388609' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:13 PM']Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course, and yes I'm 43 and the late 70's early 80's were my apprenticeship, but all I'd say is, have some respect for someone like Jean, who is a very talented and influential bass player, regardless of if you know about him or not.

It matters not if it's Charlie Mingus, John Paul Jones, Mark King or Robert Trujillo you're into, they're all top class musicians who deserve some respect.

Jean and others like Tina Weymouth and Colin Moulding were my inspiration to start playing in the early 80's, and I love them all dearly for that.[/quote]

Fair enough I just don't like being told who/what I should like/respect.

Seriously though, if a thread like this gets a young bass player to listen to an old master like JJ, then that’s great. All we old ‘uns can do is point the way. If the young guns like it, great. If not, no problem. It’s not a case of “you must live this guy because I (and my generation) say he’s great”, it’s have a listen and see what you think.

I burned a compilation CD for my bass playing nephew with all sorts of stuff on there. Some Blockheads, Level 42, Simple Minds, Black Sabbath, RHCP, Chic, Jah Wobble, Sly & Robbie, Climax Blues Band etc. He listened to it, picked what he liked and ditched the rest. It hurt me like hell when Norman Watt-Roy was rejected, but it’s his choice. He’s only young after all. One day, maybe.