Why become a member? ×

Hello from a very old Newbie

The Bass Doc

I've been browsing the forum for a little while now and thought I should make myself known as one of the senior citizens of the bass world. I have already exchanged a couple of PMs with the Old Git and find I am older and gitter than him - first paying gig 1964! Iam probably not the oldest member at present but would like to stake a claim to having the oldest set of strings still in use -- my spare Jazz bass carries a set of original Fender strings for which I still have the packet marked £8/15 shillings -a hell of a price to pay back then - anyone care to work out the amount that equates to in today's money? Although new to the vast majority of you, I can say that I am already well known to a lot of fellow North Easterners including Marcus, Wateroftyne and of course Warwickhunt (what on earth were Mr. and Mrs. Hunt thinking?). To those who think you might know me, the clue is in the avatar - the slapping nun of Nun Street.

[quote name='simon1964' post='384430' date='Jan 18 2009, 10:08 PM']I was going to post that there are plenty of oldies on here, but then saw your first paying gig was the year I was born! Glad to welcome someone who makes me look young! ;)[/quote]

I can assure you The BD makes 'anyone' look young. :P

Saying that anyone who can still haul their lazy ars* off the sofa on a Sunday afternoon to go and do a gig with a 6 piece band at the venerable Doc's age deserves respect (hope the gig went well) :)

Nice to see you active on here at last, before you know it you'll be in the thick of it sprouting all things bass.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' date='Jan 18 2009, 10:44 PM' post='384402']
I've been browsing the forum for a little while now and thought I should make myself known as one of the senior citizens of the bass world. I have already exchanged a couple of PMs with the Old Git and find I am older and gitter than him - first paying gig 1964! Iam probably not the oldest member at present but would like to stake a claim to having the oldest set of strings still in use -- my spare Jazz bass carries a set of original Fender strings for which I still have the packet marked £8/15 shillings -a hell of a price to pay back then - anyone care to work out the amount that equates to in today's money? Although new to the vast majority of you, I can say that I am already well known to a lot of fellow North Easterners including Marcus, Wateroftyne and of course Warwickhunt (what on earth were Mr. and Mrs. Hunt thinking?). To those who think you might know me, the clue is in the avatar - the slapping nun of Nun Street.
[/quot

Yer beat me, my first was 1967 at the Mildmay Tavern in North East London

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='384402' date='Jan 18 2009, 09:44 PM']my spare Jazz bass carries a set of original Fender strings for which I still have the packet marked £8/15 shillings -a hell of a price to pay back then - anyone care to work out the amount that equates to in today's money?[/quote]

Welcome to the forums! ;) - I work it out at around £129.23 in today's money!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='384633' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:47 AM']Well bugger me boots... Mr. S.!

Welcome aboard... how the devil are ya??[/quote]
Hiya MB,
I'm doing fine thanks - recovering quite well from the heart scare. The only other problem is that on a recent visit to my GP he suggested I may be suffering from Alzheimers. At least I think that's what he said because these days I find it hard to remember things.
Are you involved in the gig at the Poachers Cottage on the 24th? It's just down the road from me so I may turn up - in diguise of course as I did for the recent Booker T appearance where it was feared that Duck Dunn may refuse to play in front of one of his heroes

Hello!

Glad to hear it... I'll be in touch soon 'cos I have a little bit of pickup juggery-pokery I need a hand with.

The gig on the 24th... is now on the 25th! There was a bit of confusion regarding the date. The landlord is trying to contact as many people as possible to let them know...!

I'm also there on Feb 7th with The Caffreys... it would be fab to see you at either / both!

[quote name='Hamster' post='384519' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:24 PM']Welcome to the forums! ;) - I work it out at around £129.23 in today's money![/quote]
Cripes! - At that price level I feel I should be entitled to a lifetime guarantee so if one string breaks in the next few years I will request a refund. As a matter of interest, when I ran the Bass Place in Newcastle we had a policy of offering a lifetime guarantee on everything we sold. The only catch was if the customer complained, we hired a hit-man to murder him so that the end result was that the item had indeed lasted his lifetime.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='384784' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:09 AM']As a matter of interest, when I ran the Bass Place in Newcastle we had a policy of offering a lifetime guarantee on everything we sold. The only catch was if the customer complained, we hired a hit-man to murder him so that the end result was that the item had indeed lasted his lifetime.[/quote]

ha ha.. marvellous.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with him, the bass doc is a legend on the North-East bass scene. It's grand to have him stop by...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='384757' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:41 AM']Hello!

Glad to hear it... I'll be in touch soon 'cos I have a little bit of pickup juggery-pokery I need a hand with.[/quote]
You're asking me to assist with some juggery- pokery? I'm OK with the juggery (how is the missus btw?) but I'm a bit uncomfortable in relation to the pokery - we should talk privately later.
However, if you need help involving pickups, wiring etc., no problem. Having retired from the retail side of things, I'm often asked if I will handle queries - my stock reply is "certainly not - I'm heterosexual".
Seriously though you've picked a good time to have any work done - my workshop is at your disposal. Just about to help Marcus choose some replacement pickups for his CV Squier Jazz.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='384873' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:32 PM']You're asking me to assist with some juggery- pokery? I'm OK with the juggery (how is the missus btw?) but I'm a bit uncomfortable in relation to the pokery - we should talk privately later.
However, if you need help involving pickups, wiring etc., no problem. Having retired from the retail side of things, I'm often asked if I will handle queries - my stock reply is "certainly not - I'm heterosexual".[/quote]

Comedic gold, i can already see you being a great asset to the forum!

Edited by josh3184

Ey Up Howie....... great to have you onboard !!

Mr Satterley is indeed a Bass Legend up here..... it's great to think that the rest of the UK's Bass playing fraternity can now benefit from his knowledge, experience and humour.

I've never met anyone with more knowledge of the Fender Bass...... Those of you who used to buy BASSIST way back in the day may recall Howard's credit in the 2 issue feature on the History of the Fender Jazz Bass.

He's also still doingt top work on basses of all kinds. Just to prove he's no snob, he's just fitted some EMG's into my Squire 60's Jazz and given it some tweaks and twists...... plays & sounds fantastic - Thanks Howard

Mark

Well hello Howard! its lee muir here!!!
Fantastic to see you on here, do you remember picking me up from gateshead metro station ( still nothing untoward, apparently his kerb crawling days are over) to fix a broken tuner on my ibanez musician, i was a pup of 18 then, and you kept my basses tip top for years after that, especially as i would usually turn up ask you to fix em in a week then id bugger off on a cruise or whatever the hell i was doing at the time.
Im really glad your feeling better mate, its been far too long, i miss those smokey days hanging around the bass place, i was gutted to hear of its closure, many of our fellow basschatters will be thrilled to hear some of your tales.
All the best mate- lee
ps love the avatar, my old bass teacher Kenny potter used to have that on his teaching room wall, cool

Edited by lee650

Hi Lee,
Good to hear from you. I honestly don't remember picking you up all those years ago but there have been so many pickups in my time....Bartolini, MEC(active), EMG(active), not to mention 'ladies of the night'(passive).
Strange you should mention Kenny - I just heard from him recently - he seems to need his old P-bass servicing soon, like every ten years or so he thinks about fitting new strings.
No doubt you will get in touch when you're in the area - PM'd with my phone number.
Cheers,