Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

At last this thread is saving me money rather than potentially costing an arm and several legs 😂

That's enabled me to take a DB751 off my wish list amps as we speak. I do believe you've just saved me £1,500 (used)! 

Ah I mean everyone should own one once 😂 
It was a brilliant amp, but then Handbox is just bloody excellent, and lighter😂

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Two pedals sold.

An unsolicited offer for my poshest bass (I'm not going to accept!).

4 paid gigs for Jan (if I'm allowed to include NYE in that number), all helping build up the kitty for 2021 nicely :)

No GAS in sight.

Next BIG danger on the horizon...NAMM 2020 

NYE was definitely last year - well, mine was, anyway! Also now considering an offer of another Jazz bass in exchange for one of my Ibby sixes.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

So did you finish and pack up at 11.59pm then? And when did you get paid for the gig? 😁

We were booked from eight til eleven, I'd packed up, been paid and driven 40 mins home by ten past twelve!

Just now, FinnDave said:

We were booked from eight til eleven, I'd packed up, been paid and driven 40 mins home by ten past twelve!

Blimey gov - I need to find out the name of your establishment!

I got home at 3am having dropped our singer off at her place first! 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Blimey gov - I need to find out the name of your establishment!

I got home at 3am having dropped our singer off at her place first! 

It would have taken you a lot longer to get back to East London from Swindon! I was just depping, so it was an easy in  and out.

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

It would have taken you a lot longer to get back to East London from Swindon! I was just depping, so it was an easy in  and out.

Yeah, fair. I do generally try to avoid Swindon... 😄 

We were in Beaconsfield, and their idea of the "wrong sort" is somewhat different to what I'm used to. Lol! 

Funniest for me was sitting next to one punter, who asked me what I thought of the band and totally couldn't get her head around the fact that I might be in it! Lol Mk2! 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah, fair. I do generally try to avoid Swindon... 😄 

We were in Beaconsfield, and their idea of the "wrong sort" is somewhat different to what I'm used to. Lol! 

Funniest for me was sitting next to one punter, who asked me what I thought of the band and totally couldn't get her head around the fact that I might be in it! Lol Mk2! 

Likewise, I try my best to avoid Beaconsfield, as I have had several mechanical breakdowns there. The most memorable was the total destruction of the engine of my Harley 30 mins from home after riding over 1600 miles in two days from Finland.

On 01/01/2020 at 13:56, Al Krow said:

Agreed that anything prearranged in 2019 is "ok".

But trades wouldn't have qualified in the 2019 thread. (No different really to selling something for more than you buy the next piece of gear for, in that both routes don't "cost" you anything).

I think the point of the challenge is not about 1 in 1 out or breaking-even on gear sales. It's about making the most of the gear you already have and not replacing it with other stuff.

That's my take on it anyway. But it's your thread Paul - you set the rules, mate! Maybe just worth making clear what is / isn't allowed in your OP?

On 01/01/2020 at 14:00, bassfan said:

Nope... if that was last years then we stick to the same rules....I was out so fast last year I didn’t take notice. 😂

Pre arranged (i.e. in 2019) trades or works are allowed. New is not. Thanks @Al Krow

I think we concluded that trades unfortunately were out a week or so back. 

42 minutes ago, bassfan said:

@walshy was out on trades alone.  @ead it will have to go to public consultation😂 Trade is a trade.... 

Can't have one rule for Walshy and one for the rest (or can we? 😂)

So it's nice been knowing ya @ead, thanks for stopping by, mate.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 3

technicality question!

If i found my Tuner pedal to have an issue (the jacks don't hold the leads in and pop out too easily, and there enclosed jacks so i cant just squeeze them a bit) , is replacing it classed as a gear acquisition and an instant failure? I don't think it should be but i thought i would check..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I think we concluded that trades unfortunately were out a week or so back. 

Can't have one rule for Walshy and one for the rest (or can we? 😂)

So it's nice been knowing ya @ead, thanks for stopping by, mate.

Tough love on here 😂

27 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

technicality question!

If i found my Tuner pedal to have an issue (the jacks don't hold the leads in and pop out too easily, and there enclosed jacks so i cant just squeeze them a bit) , is replacing it classed as a gear acquisition and an instant failure? I don't think it should be but i thought i would check..

Don't think anyone (not even me - haha!) is going to begrudge you a replacement tuner.