Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

I'm still there...only 356 days to go!

I played with a guitarist the other day who hadn't changed the strings on that particular guitar since at least 2011.  I could learn a thing from him.

Edited by Quilly

13 minutes ago, Storky said:

Sounds like this thread needs reinforcements! I didn’t join as my track record is woeful, but as I’ve not purchased anything yet.... I’m in!

Thank gawd for that. Ok folks, we can all relax now...😁

34 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I'll be surprised if this thread lasts until the end of January!

Are you feeling lonely out there? (Btw are you Finn or Dave or Dave Finn or the obvious Finn Dave?? If the latter - what's the story?)

Edited by Al Krow

53 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Genzler Magellan 800..... (and I'm trying a Mesa D800 and Darkglass M900 on Saturday!) 

I'm doomed...... 😂😂😂

(Collects coat and shuffles shamefully out of the door....)  

Wow deja vu!! There's this geezer, who's not a butler, but likes playing up to Egyptian gods in his spare time who posted a review of these exact same 3 amps about 3 years back (excellent review btw). Let me see if I can dig out...

The right answer, in case you're wondering. is the GM 800.

(I obviously got it wrong and bought a DG M900)

Here you go:

Edited by Al Krow

I think the way to tackle GAS is to play the bass you have.  I used to play the chromatic harmonica (badly) and ended up with drawers full of the things.  I tried different makes and tunings in the hope I would find the one.  Secretly I was looking for the harmonica that played all the right notes in the right order!  I always drifted back to the first one I bought.

I like looking at, and reading about, different bass guitars and have been tempted by several models that look "the bizz".  Then I pick up my current base, start playing and realise that it serves my purposes very well.

I have the same situation with bicycles.  I love cycling and follow the racing scene with keen interest.  I can spend hours drooling over the latest carbon fibre lightweight bikes that cost many thousands of pounds.  Then I pull my old aluminium framed Bianchi out of the shed and ride it up the road.  After about 10 minutes I'm in love with it again and realise that it matches my style of riding (slow) perfectly.

I've seen many posts on this forum from people who have sold and old bass and replaced it with a shiny new one, only to regret losing the old bass.  Enjoy what you have and you may fall in love with it all over again.

Oooops! just received an email from Bass Direct.......wow look at that...........................!!!!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Thank gawd for that. Ok folks, we can all relax now...😁

Are you feeling lonely out there? (Btw are you Finn or Dave or Dave Finn or the obvious Finn Dave?? If the latter - what's the story?)

Just Dave. I starting using FinnDave on various forums years ago, there were lots of different Daves but only who lived in Finland at the time, so there's the story! I've been back in the UK over 7 years now, which has flown by.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Don't you have to be "in" before you can be "officially out". Or is that different to what you've been told for the past few decades? 😁

I was really trying to kid myself that I was going to be in...but I’m shite at not buying things...

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

But 16.5mm string spacing? You can get an identical spec used one for a lot less (just sayin'!).

16.5 is a bit tight but those bridges are adjustable so you can get a bit more spacing. Recon i could get it close to 17mm. 

Are you using yours on Sat? Sell me on it lol. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

16.5 is a bit tight but those bridges are adjustable so you can get a bit more spacing. Recon i could get it close to 17mm. 

Are you using yours on Sat? Sell me on it lol. 

Yup gonna be using it on Sat (haven't restrung my Yammy yet which needs to a good seeing-to on that score).

But if it sounds totally sh*ite it will have nothing to do with poor bass technique and be entirely down to me not using a compressor (again).

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup gonna be using it on Sat (haven't restrung my Yammy yet which needs to a good seeing-to on that score).

But if it sounds totally sh*ite it will have nothing to do with poor bass technique and be entirely down to me not using a compressor (again).

Ill make sure to ask around the audience and see how many feel the night was ruined by your obvious lack of comp 🙂

If they all start complaining about it i guess the audience can tell after all lol.

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Nice.

It's weird that I would naturally put a bass back in my rack with the top facing towards the right. It absolutely makes sense the way you've done it as technically the heavier half of the bass goes in first.

It's never occurred to me until I saw your photo. Every day a lesson 👍

Jazz basses (there are 3) sit better that way.

• Like 2

Well I never said I was in, and I've lasted until double figures 🤣

I've just picked up an '77 Aria bass that looks surprisingly like something else, complete with original case. It needs a good clean but it sounds the business. 

Excuse the indoor lighting. 

20200112_190130.thumb.jpg.786e0d1bca074e888ae6a4be1055eaaa.jpg

20200112_190158.thumb.jpg.7b82e005bf585d3b4912fdb54201bd49.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Any idea where the truss rod cover came from? I want to get one of those for my 4004LK.

No idea I'm afraid, I could message the seller and ask if you want. I don't know if you can see clearly in the picture but it says Rickenbastard not Rickenbacker. 

The best 'homemade' versions of the real ones I've seen are 3D printed ones, that way the lettering can be raised as it's meant to be. I'll do a NBD to discuss anything further to save derailing this thread too much. 

🙂

• Like 1