Jump to content
Chrisbassboy5

Cant get on with Ibby SR655 - persevere or go to 4 str?

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys, 

For my 50th birthday I got an 'as new' Ibanez SR655NTF in plain ash and I love it, its absolutely amazing and has some incredible grunt with those tasty Norstrands etc..but as someone of medium standard on the bass (promised myself I'd learn bass, coming from upright and tuba!). I am struggling to get on with the 5 plus the 16.5mm spacing. I have played my sons 4 string £50 Stagg (yep I know) and find the 4 so much easier and the string spacing is huge in comparison. I hate myself as I'm finding it hard to commit to the 5 (bought a 5 as I play wind band so flat keys are so much easier, not to be snobby and just buy a 5 than a 4!).

Should I ignore the sons easy 4 and just persevere or sell and get a nice 4 like the SR500 or some other awesome 4 string. As its my 50th wanted something REALLY nice for £450.00 which I now have.

Could you seek to help my troubled mind...appreciated Chris.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a 5 string with a wider string spacing would suit you more. I struggle with anything less than 18mm probably due to my ham-fisted technique. I can adapt but I’m far happier with a wide string spacing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mr zed said:

Maybe a 5 string with a wider string spacing would suit you more. I struggle with anything less than 18mm probably due to my ham-fisted technique. I can adapt but I’m far happier with a wide string spacing.

I'm the same. My favourite is my Yamaha RBX765A - 19mm spacing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Hi Guys, 

For my 50th birthday I got an 'as new' Ibanez SR655NTF in plain ash and I love it, its absolutely amazing and has some incredible grunt with those tasty Norstrands etc..but as someone of medium standard on the bass (promised myself I'd learn bass, coming from upright and tuba!). I am struggling to get on with the 5 plus the 16.5mm spacing. I have played my sons 4 string £50 Stagg (yep I know) and find the 4 so much easier and the string spacing is huge in comparison. I hate myself as I'm finding it hard to commit to the 5 (bought a 5 as I play wind band so flat keys are so much easier, not to be snobby and just buy a 5 than a 4!).

Should I ignore the sons easy 4 and just persevere or sell and get a nice 4 like the SR500 or some other awesome 4 string. As its my 50th wanted something REALLY nice for £450.00 which I now have.

Could you seek to help my troubled mind...appreciated Chris.

2 of my 3 4 strings have 16.5mm spacing, the other being 17mm. 16.5 is my preference, but I mainly play with a plectrum.

Its really difficult to say what you should do, as everyone is different. You may find you get used to the spacing and extra string, or you may never get used to it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you use the G string much? If not, you could trade it for the four string version and tune in BEAD? Or would that not really help in your circumstance?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty wider spaced 5 strings available. That said any instrument takes getting used to and adapting your technique.

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion would be take a trip to your local guitar shop and play as many basses as you can to see what you like.

No shame at all in preferring 4 strings, and also no shame in liking the stag, if it plays well and sounds good it is good regardless of the name on the head stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Know the Ibanez SR500 is a blinder of a bass and is 19mm. Sorta like mine so possibly an option. Like the heavy tone controls on the active system so possibly my way forwards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Know the Ibanez SR500 is a blinder of a bass and is 19mm. Sorta like mine so possibly an option. Like the heavy tone controls on the active system so possibly my way forwards?

My sense is that the consensus from those who have made the step up from the Ibby SR Standard range to the Ibby SR Premium range was that it was well worth it (particularly if you're buying used). Primarily due to improvement in the pups ie basic Barts --> Nords. Loved my Ibby SR1800 and still really enjoying my SR1825. 

Bear in mind that other than the 655 and 655E and the equivalent 4 string versions (650 and 650E), which are P (reverse) /J the rest of the Ibby SRs are J/J so will give you a different character in tone just from that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Al, got it second hand as new with flats on for £450 SO a real deal. Perhaps will just persevere? Don't really want to let go since its a beauty, if I can just get used to it... ta m8

15745008563242535576660317884157.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're loving the bass (which looks great btw!) then defo recommend perserving.

I'd say it's a much bigger step getting used to a 5er vs a 4 string than getting used to a slightly narrower string spacing. The string spacing on my basses range from 14mm (deliberate narrow choice for my 6er) through 16.5mm for my Ibby 5er, 16.8mm on Spector up to 18.0mm on my Yammys & KS and actually it's fine swapping between them.

The only one time that I struggled to make it work was with a Squier Bass VI, but then that had miniscule 11.0mm (if I remember correctly) spacing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If you're loving the bass (which looks great btw!) then defo recommend perserving.

I'd say it's a much bigger step getting used to a 5er vs a 4 string than getting used to a slightly narrower string spacing. The string spacing on my basses range from 14mm (deliberate narrow choice for my 6er) through 16.5mm for my Ibby 5er, 16.8mm on Spector up to 18.0mm on my Yammys & KS and actually it's fine swapping between them.

The only one time that I struggled to make it work was with a Squier Bass VI, but then that had miniscule 11.0mm (if I remember correctly) spacing! 

I'm the opposite, I switch between 4 and 5 without a problem. However anything below 18mm at the bridge and I'm lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a beauty! 

If you find that it really doesn't suit your physicality then maybe getting a 4 string and tuning down a half step will work for you. That way all your open strings will be useful for the flat keys you play in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried to switch to 5s on a number of occasions - never been successful. I know that I should persevere but I find my 4 strings so much more playable that I don't want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Should I ignore the sons easy 4 and just persevere or sell and get a nice 4 like the SR500 or some other awesome 4 string. As its my 50th wanted something REALLY nice for £450.00 which I now have.

Stick with it.

I have the humbucker version with the licenced Barts and it's lovely.  If it is of any help, I found that doing chromatic scales at first position helped a lot with string crossovers and generally getting used to the low B.  I then found that I was enjoying my four stringers a bit more as they were more open spaced.

I don't like doing drop tunings as a rule so it's good to have the five for those brass rich Northern Soul numbers.

Best of luck with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Stick with it.

I have the humbucker version with the licenced Barts and it's lovely.  If it is of any help, I found that doing chromatic scales at first position helped a lot with string crossovers and generally getting used to the low B.  I then found that I was enjoying my four stringers a bit more as they were more open spaced.

I don't like doing drop tunings as a rule so it's good to have the five for those brass rich Northern Soul numbers.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers Spondon, will definitely persevere I think as its an awesome bass, just need to ensure I don't play any other for a bit. Cheers Mate. and others who have commented. Regards, Chris

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...