Why become a member? ×

I can destroy your band...from a distance.

ahpook

I had a get together with a band planned for tomorrow, the guitarist sent through a couple of original tunes and asked me to learn a cover. All done, excited.

Got a message from the guitarist this morning to say that it's off, the drummer's had to cancel, and that's the final straw as he's been unreliable recently. No band, no get-together.

As far as I know this is the third time this has happened - I reply to an ad and the band breaks up :)

Anyone know any bands they don't like that need a bass player ? Maybe another covers band is nicking your regular slot at the Dog & Duck ? Ex-spouse getting somewhere with their Nu-Klezmer band ? Sick of that residency at the Filmore and you want a change ?

Email me the band ad, I'll reply with my schedule of services and we can get to work....

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 17

so no "we'll get you up to speed while we look for a new drummer" then?

Maybe it's a guitarist thing.  An old originals band of mine spent ages looking for a singer - we'd recorded a demo and played a couple of gigs as a three piece but the vocals were distinctly average (mainly because I let the guitarist do most of it) so we focused all our energies on finding a singer.  Which took months without any suitable auditionees and the drummer finally had enough of not gigging, not even rehearsing most weeks unless we had a potential singer lined up, and left for another band.  fair enough

I asked a mate of mine who is an excellent drummer, he came for an audition and knocked it out of the park - superb.  Great, now we can spend the time in between trying out new singers bringing the drummer up to speed.

No. The guitarist was bored of playing the same songs and wasn't going to rehearse until we found a singer (and wasn't going to help look for one either).  So he'd come back as and when me and the drummer found a singer, and not to bother him in the meantime.

Technically he didn't actually break the band up...but when me and the drummer did find a new singer it was for a completely new band because we had no interest in staying in a band with the old guitarist.  I do wonder if the guitarist thinks that the band is still a going concern and as soon as we find someone we'll be on the phone to get him back to the studio...he's not played since, and that was about 15 years ago

Maybe you can round up a new band from the ashes of the ones you've broken?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ahpook said:

Anyone know any bands they don't like that need a bass player ? Maybe another covers band is nicking your regular slot at the Dog & Duck ? Ex-spouse getting somewhere with their Nu-Klezmer band ? Sick of that residency at the Filmore and you want a change ?

Email me the band ad, I'll reply with my schedule of services and we can get to work....

I am informed that a Mr Justin Bieber may be planning a tour. You may wish to contact his management.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

so no "we'll get you up to speed while we look for a new drummer" then?

Maybe it's a guitarist thing.  An old originals band of mine spent ages looking for a singer - we'd recorded a demo and played a couple of gigs as a three piece but the vocals were distinctly average (mainly because I let the guitarist do most of it) so we focused all our energies on finding a singer.  Which took months without any suitable auditionees and the drummer finally had enough of not gigging, not even rehearsing most weeks unless we had a potential singer lined up, and left for another band.  fair enough

I asked a mate of mine who is an excellent drummer, he came for an audition and knocked it out of the park - superb.  Great, now we can spend the time in between trying out new singers bringing the drummer up to speed.

No. The guitarist was bored of playing the same songs and wasn't going to rehearse until we found a singer (and wasn't going to help look for one either).  So he'd come back as and when me and the drummer found a singer, and not to bother him in the meantime.

Technically he didn't actually break the band up...but when me and the drummer did find a new singer it was for a completely new band because we had no interest in staying in a band with the old guitarist.  I do wonder if the guitarist thinks that the band is still a going concern and as soon as we find someone we'll be on the phone to get him back to the studio...he's not played since, and that was about 15 years ago

Maybe you can round up a new band from the ashes of the ones you've broken?

I do hope he's still not waiting after 15 years...that would be kindof tragic really !

4 hours ago, ahpook said:

I had a get together with a band planned for tomorrow, the guitarist sent through a couple of original tunes and asked me to learn a cover. All done, excited.

Got a message from the guitarist this morning to say that it's off, the drummer's had to cancel, and that's the final straw as he's been unreliable recently. No band, no get-together.

As far as I know this is the third time this has happened - I reply to an ad and the band breaks up :)

This is not uncommon, as a matter of fact many ads for bass players are with bands also looking for a singer, guitarist or drummer.

In other words a lot of bass player wanted ads are posted by 1 or 2 remaining members of a sinking ship.

This is covered in many of my threads on Auditioning 

Blue

I'm starting to wonder...could I have the same effect on things I can't actually do...could I apply to a 5-a-side team and kill that ? Single-handedly bring down a PTA just by phoning up and asking about joining ?

I'm just going to ring up the BBC and see if Joolz Holland is hiring, you can thank me....later.

;)

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2019 at 18:45, Bluewine said:

This is not uncommon, as a matter of fact many ads for bass players are with bands also looking for a singer, guitarist or drummer.

In other words a lot of bass player wanted ads are posted by 1 or 2 remaining members of a sinking ship.

This is covered in many of my threads on Auditioning 

Blue

Bandonkers has a special icon to warn you about these time wasters:

image.png.49943341b716733d662a8fa5181196f3.png

On 27/09/2019 at 15:07, Burns-bass said:

I had to cancel a jam session and a jazz band practice this week because both of my kids have diarrhoea. Didn’t really feel the need to give them the details but I’m sure they’ll think I’m just as useless and unreliable. 

Luckily most of my band mates have kids. And they understand the sh!t that we all get from our wives if we go out for our "jolly" when kids are sick. I'm quite lucky that way really.