Why become a member? ×

Help me out!

Shockwave

Hey guys.

As many of you know i have a bit of money to push around.

Heres the scoop, I could buy two very very good modern style basses, That covers the bases that the other two basses i have that doesant.

For example. The vigier on the forums and the yamaha attitude on ebay.

However, I may possibly have a bead on a ORIGINAL FIRST YEAR musicman Stingray. Its in pretty good nick and plays bueatifully. The value would only increase and i know i love the musicman sound. I could sell the current SR4 i have and get something else with the money as well.

I dont know what to do. I love my current ray very much, But it doesant sound anywhere near as good as the older ray.

This is alot of money to play around with. I am unsure of what to do, i will be going back to play the ray tommorow.

-Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='yorick' post='368820' date='Jan 2 2009, 08:24 PM']What are they asking for a first year stingray? I had a '79 and loved it, but got into Sandbergs, so it went[/quote]

I dont really want to say the exact price because i am not sure. I know its lower then most vintage rays have been advertised on here for.

Rob,

IIWU I'd keep your 'Ray and get the Vigier......

Yes the old 'ray has mojo, but at the end of the day its an old 'ray.....

Put it this way.... would I swap any of my PRSs for a mint rare '60s Fender P even if it was worth sh!t loads more ?
NOPE, in fact there are [u]NO[/u] basses I'd let them go for, just wouldnt.

Once you find that special one it'll make your world rock. You know what the 'ray (as a model) does and your still looking for something else
-
I'm not sure you'll find it in an upgrade 'ray or yam.

This is all my opinion of course but its based on my experiences to date FWIW

Personally I struggle with the vintage thing - it's such an insubstantial quantity. I really liked the '74 precision I had, but if I were to realistically weigh up it's advantages over my CIJ P bass I just couldn't justify the extra cost in any measurable way so I decided to sell it.

There is always a factor for "mojo". That extra special something you just can't put your finger on. But if I can't put my finger on it...is it really there? and is it worth a lot more cash?

Particularly with the later Stingrays/Sterlings I like the easy to use battery compartment & truss rod adjuster, another plus is that they don't tend to weigh 11lbs like a lot of the much older rays.

On the other side of the coin though - I think too much choice is also a killer, and having less basses always leaves me feeling better (as long as I can achieve a few decent sounds I like) so maybe keeping it simple with something like a really killer 'ray would be a simple solution. As you say it will only appreciate in value in the long run so as long as it's at a good price now then you can't really lose if you decide its not for you...

So in summary...

God knows, it's tough isn't it! :)

my only good advice is follow your heart, not your head.

Investments can go down as well as up, buy a bass to play not because its old.

Similar to legions comments, i have a 64 precision and a CIJ reissue. I would never part with the 64 because I have had it since the late 60s, its seen bands, booze, fags, births,deaths,divorce, and Jet Harris has played it.

Its not original, but its special to me but is it really a better player than the reissue, nah not really. I prefer the worn neck on the original, but if I was that bothered I could replicate it on the CIJ.

I would keep the ray you have, and get the vigier but Im not you, and you should do what you want to do.

This is the thing, my current ray plays great, But this older ray plays [i]Better[/i] and whilst my current Ray sounds like a ray, The older Ray [i]SOUNDS[/i] like a Ray. Its hard to put my finger on it. The older ray is far lighter then my current ray.

TBH the older ray is far far better then an already great bass, I am just not sure if its worth the money to get something that i kinda already have.

To put it more simply, A big influence of mine is Bernard Edwards. He used a very early Ray, When i play the older Ray i feel and sound more like his lines then i do when playing the new one. I guess it just has that mojo. Plus the fret size appears different a the neck finish.

Anyway, as i mentioned before i will go back tommorow and A/B it against my current Ray and way up the advantage/disadvantage. Although i know the market can go up down, i have a feeling if i miss out on this oppurtunity it might not come around again. This is alot of money and its unlikely i will come across this amount to spend on a bass again.

-Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='markytbass' post='368963' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:38 PM']Does the old ray play as well or better than the new ray you currently own? Answer that and you've answered your question.[/quote]

Yes its better in nearly everyway. The older ray has a flat battery in it and still sounded better in my ears, tommorow i will playing it with a new battery. The only way it might not be better is the looks (My current one is a lovely black sparkle with matching headstock.) And the piezo pickup (Which although useless in a band situation is pretty awesome alone)

The problem is. A modern ray can cost as little as 550-600, Whereas this is more then three times the amount. Is the price of near perfection worth it :)

-Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='368968' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:40 PM']Yes its better in nearly everyway. The older ray has a flat battery in it and still sounded better in my ears, tommorow i will playing it with a new battery. The only way it might not be better is the looks (My current one is a lovely black sparkle with matching headstock.) And the piezo pickup (Which although useless in a band situation is pretty awesome alone)

The problem is. A modern ray can cost as little as 550-600, Whereas this is more then three times the amount. Is the price of near perfection worth it :)

-Rob.[/quote]

It sounds like your not overly happy with your existing Ray. So why not sell that and buy the vintage one and the Vigier.

Get the 'ray. Something that hasn't come across in the posts abve is that pre EB 'rays are a very different animal to EBs, and I disagree strongly with the idea that newer (in the form of technological development etc) is necessarily better. You're like me Rob, you're searching for Bass Nirvana, and, unless I've got you wrong, I doubt you'll find it in anything built since 1980!
Now, before I get a flood of negative responses, just let me add that I don't think the 'ray is a better instrument per se, I just think it just ticks a lot of non-musical/technical boxes as well as most of the musical/technical ones in this context (historical/cultural) :)
Chris

[quote name='Linus27' post='368972' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:44 PM']It sounds like your not overly happy with your existing Ray. So why not sell that and buy the vintage one and the Vigier.[/quote]

Not at all! The current Ray is fantastic. Or at least it was before i played an older ray!

As beedster says its a different animal. The neck feels more solid, The fretwire seems flatter and wider. The bass is lighter. It [i]feels[/i] different.

My current SR4 is a fantastic bass i am very happy with it.

I doubt i could afford both the vigier and the old sr4.

PS. As a weird aside, I dont actually like the look of stringrays, But the neck shape and the sound really ticks everybox for me. I just wish it looked nicer! Ha!

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='368961' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:36 PM']This is the thing, my current ray plays great, But this older ray plays [i]Better[/i] and whilst my current Ray sounds like a ray, The older Ray [i]SOUNDS[/i] like a Ray. Its hard to put my finger on it. The older ray is far lighter then my current ray.

-Rob.[/quote]

Does it play and feel £900 better and could your existing ray benefit from a good set up for £100 and leave you with a few quid in your pocket?

As I said before, if its an appreciating asset, then great, but thats not the reason to buy it.

Its not a logical decision, its one that is answered from the heart [or the gut] 99.999% of people, players or audience wont tell the difference, but you will.

[quote name='bumnote' post='369003' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:10 AM']Does it play and feel £900 better and could your existing ray benefit from a good set up for £100 and leave you with a few quid in your pocket?

As I said before, if its an appreciating asset, then great, but thats not the reason to buy it.

Its not a logical decision, its one that is answered from the heart [or the gut] 99.999% of people, players or audience wont tell the difference, but you will.[/quote]

hehe i know all of this. The current ray has a great setup already.

I know i would love this bass if i bought it. But as i mention before is near perfection worth 2000 quid?

[quote name='Shockwave' post='369007' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:15 AM']hehe i know all of this. The current ray has a great setup already.

But as i mention before is near perfection worth 2000 quid?[/quote]

Yes, you will always find a buyer for a first year 'ray if you decide it ain't your thing
Chris

As a relative newcomer to the exciting world of bass guitars, the advice that was given to me was 'play the guitars and let your hands, ears and heart make the decision' Forget everything else.

Is it worth the money? If, for you, it feels like everything you wanted in a bass, then - yes it is. Every single penny. Nothing else is really important. It is only money, after all, and you will easily get more of that eventually. Pass on the old Ray and you'll always dwell on it as a lost opportunity.

If eventually it doesn't work out then, well, at least you had a go. Sell it, save up some more dosh, then get another one. But it may just be your life partner here! If you don't get it you will never know! There's nothing worse than regret over a missed chance 'cos there's no-one to blame but yourself!

[quote name='King Tut' post='369035' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:44 AM']In years to come - you'll always regret it if you don't get the stingray - particularly as it's a good un! Imagine having a 1960 jazz or a 51 P.[/quote]

Colin speaks wisely here mate! I sold my 1980 'ray yesterday, great bass but I'm looking for a 60's Fender so I'm gonna need some cash. The 'ray had a rosewood board which is pretty rare for that period, and I had emails from all over the world from guys desperate to get their hands on it (eventually it went to a guy in Watford!). Point is, these babies are increasingly rare, so, like me, at least give yourself the opportunity to own it, play it and evaluate it. If you let it go in 2 months you'll have crossed it off your list and can move on. Otherwise, you'll have an itch you'll jsut have to keep scratching :) .
Happy New Year by the way
Chris
PS Colin, watched a vid of your Floyd band last night, lovely sound, and great to see my old bass again!

I find that I have come across some instruments that I just had to have, all other issues just pale into insignificance and your heart rules your head. If it's one of those I say go for it. As mentioned before here, you can sell a few years down the line if it isn't the one.