Why become a member? ×

Help me out!

Shockwave

Argh! Tricky! I really appreciate the request for advice Rob. This is my old ray he's got so I know exactly how good it is and it's bloody marvellous and should appreciate a lot when the Market recovers. I'd err on the side of the vigier. It's a new string to the bow and I think sometimes vintage basses are a bit iffy to gig lots, and it may start to need tlc. Also knowing how much you like the pimp ray you have if the old one dosnt work out the chances of finding another piezo matching headstock sparkle ray arent too high. The original retail on that sucker was 1700. Then again if I found a '76 jazz in sonic blue with maple, I'd prob sell my soul to Satan and not look back !! Also why us the bass much cheaper than usual?, sometimes a worry.
Yup I reckon I'd steer vigierwards. But hopefully whichever you choose will work better for you than your luck has lately lol!
Gaf

I have little doubt that the Vigier would be better value for money, but that has a lot to do with the fact they are relatively unknown and probably because they smell of onions. The Ray is expensive for what it is (from a technical point of view) and arguably the price is inflated due to the whole 'vintage' baggage but if it feels that good then you will have to bite the bullet and suck it up just this once. It sounds like you won't regret it and can then sit back and chill with 'the one' whilst you watch people go crazy buying and trading basses. It's a lovely place to be, believe me!

Actually Hamster said it better!

Ok well, I just got off the phone.

The guy has claimed that although the serial number seems like its a 77' he has had the neck off the body and confirms that it said 76 on both parts. However i will check into this if i decide i want to offer the money. I havent been able to get down to the shop today, However i will be going down on monday.

The money has just gotten into my account so i am primed ready with readies!

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='369365' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:52 PM']Ok well, I just got off the phone.

The guy has claimed that although the serial number seems like its a 77' he has had the neck off the body and confirms that it said 76 on both parts. However i will check into this if i decide i want to offer the money. I havent been able to get down to the shop today, However i will be going down on monday.

The money has just gotten into my account so i am primed ready with readies![/quote]
Ped's right; Hamster said it best.. so get the vintage 'Ray!

Good luck with it....

[quote name='Buzz' post='369529' date='Jan 3 2009, 07:40 PM']I thought you were after a bc rich custom shop, or was that Lorne?[/quote]

Nope, I had one before but no more!

turns out the SR4 was a 78, So i decided not to go for it.

I just bought a bunch of new computer hardware. And i am sure i will going for a Yamaha Attitude billy sheehan model and maybe a gary willis fretless.

Cheers guys :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='373376' date='Jan 7 2009, 06:59 PM']Wow, that was a big u-turn, Rob! Was the Vigier not floating your boat in the end? Really hope you enjoy the Attitude, though. Never been anything wrong with a good quality Yamaha!. Still love my TRB-6 even after two years. Continues to surpass even my high expectations!

Rich.[/quote]

I was very very tempted by the Vigier, However i felt the sound was very close to my musicman. Not quite but close enough that i realised i would have to sell one or the other. Also i came to realise i wanted two basses and some computer hardware, which i couldnt do if i bought the vigier.

The Attitude came along and i had wanted one for a long long time, and would compliment my bb5000 well. In my short years of playing i have never ever come across a duff yammy!

The 51 Reissue i have wanted for a long long time. It was unbelievable when it came up for sale at a price i couldnt refuse! I would have gone for a sting sig but i couldnt stand the inlay!

Trust me, the two basses i bought i have wanted for a long time. Now all i need is a jazz bass and i have one very very well rounded out collection of basses :) one Humbucker, one P-J, One P-Humbucker, one Single coil p. Now all i need is a jazz and i am complete!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Shockwave' post='373382' date='Jan 7 2009, 07:05 PM']Trust me, the two basses i bought i have wanted for a long time. Now all i need is a jazz bass and i have one very very well rounded out collection of basses :) one Humbucker, one P-J, One P-Humbucker, one Single coil p. Now all i need is a jazz and i am complete![/quote]

Hahahaha.

Hmm....Id love a proper vintage Ray. But, im a bit wary of vintage instruments, unless Im buying it off the original owner (which is very rare). So, Ive decided to steer clear.

Its weird, I have this view that a bass upto £1.5k is just about right for me. But, I would pay a little more for a special bass. If it was over £3k, handbuilt, I just wouldnt bother until I get on a better wage. Id rather have 4-8 awesome new basses than 2 vintage ones....but thats me at the moment.

What I DO like is the new Classic Series Rays...thats the one bass I want in 2010. Probably more though hahahah.....