Why become a member? ×

Soundcontrol in dire straits

ARGH

I've been to the Bristol SC twice with a guitarist friend (he was looking for a Schecter). I thought it was really good, the first time I went there the selection was massive, and the prices pretty cheap, the guys in there were pretty cool as well, I just asked to play some stuff and he left me to it. The second time I went was pretty much the same, perhaps a slightly smaller selection. This time I played on 4 'Wicks and the guy didn't seem to mind that I wanted to try the different models. I hope to go there sometime soon now I've got a fair wad of cash.

Edited by Roo

[quote name='G-bitch' post='40018' date='Aug 1 2007, 02:35 PM']Thomann's mail order customer service is pretty sh*t hot - that wouldn't be as bad as it sounds![/quote]

Yeah I meant it would be a positive thing. Thomann seem to have got it sussed.

[quote name='Roo' post='40023' date='Aug 1 2007, 02:57 PM']I've been to the Bristol SC twice with a guitarist friend (he was looking for a Schecter). I thought it was really good, the first time I went there the selection was massive, and the prices pretty cheap, the guys in there were pretty cool as well, I just asked to play some stuff and he left me to it. The second time I went was pretty much the same, perhaps a slightly smaller selection. This time I played on 4 'Wicks and the guy didn't seem to mind that I wanted to try the different models. I hope to go there sometime soon now I've got a fair wad of cash.[/quote]

It's true that some people have an Ok experience visiting SC but it is a bit hit and miss.
If you are in Bristol there's a plethora of music shops to go to so shop around.
Maybe you can buy the same thinkg in an independant shop and help it keep trading...

[quote]In a similar vein, it occurred to me that I don't go into SC as I did my local music shops when I was younger because they don't do lessons. Seriously, if they had 'Local Academies' or whatever that taught too then they'd have a lot more people through their doors, which eventually means more sales.

Of course for those branches that are based in city centres space may be an issue, as would transport be for those on industrial estates.

hmm, perhaps not then.[/quote]

The one in edinburgh is running HNC courses and freelance lessons. Kevin Glasgow is one of the tutors so the standard is not to be frowned apon. Glasgow are opening up their own academy for the next academic year.

G

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='40248' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:28 PM']The one in edinburgh is running HNC courses and freelance lessons. Kevin Glasgow is one of the tutors so the standard is not to be frowned apon. Glasgow are opening up their own academy for the next academic year.

G[/quote]

I was in the Edinburgh one tonight and had a wee chat with the manager who's a friend of mine. He reckons there's been some trouble but it should pass. Which is good.

Although maybe he's just saying that, who knows...;o)

The only real SC story i have is when we visited the Nottingham one on our May tour just gone.

At the time i was in 'Active Jazz' mode (now satisfied by my Deluxe), but they had a Miller Jazz on the wall, i said "May i try this please", they even had the exact stack that i use to play though, perfect!.

"No"
Ummm, right, any reason? lol
Apparently it was protected stock from HQ or something, i can buy it if i like, but couldn't try it. It wasn't cos i looked or smelt a bit mucky (touring does that to you), because i tried a couple of more expensive Stingrays.

But what a ridiculous policy!
I've looked around the Oxford street one a few times, never tried anything though. Dunno, didn't like the atmosphere much so left! :)

Si

Edited by Sibob

Problem with SC in London is that you may as well go to Denmark St for basses simply because the stock's more comprehensive. I mean...all I ever see there are a few Spectors, one Warwick, a Musicman and a couple of Fenders. Not exactly spoiled for choice.

I've been in a couple of Music shops where they've not let me try >1k basses. They pretty much told me "You'll just break it". Well...I find that pretty irritating considering I'm a Pedulla owner and I know how to take care of my basses but hey, if that's the way they want to run the business then fine, i just won't shop there.

I've only ever been to SoundControl once (Oxford Street) and that was mainly to see Marcus Miller. I did have a quick browse after the clinic but there didn't seem to much in the way of a bass department (that said, a lot of the shop was roped off because of the clinic, so it's possible that there had been some stock hidden or even removed from the shop floor - they didn't exactly seem to be doing "business as usual"). If I was passing again I'd still pop in and have a look around, but I don't really go up to London all that much and there's not another branch anywhere round here.

Quite why anyone would bother going to Sound Control in London when there's the Gallery to visit is beyond me! I don't even bother going down Denmark St as most stores are staffed by tossers (Bass Cellar anyone?) or full of hideously over-priced vintage crap. Bass centre is OK but the Gallery never fails to be anything short of superb.

[quote name='Sibob' post='40282' date='Aug 2 2007, 03:46 AM']The only real SC story i have is when we visited the Nottingham one on our May tour just gone.

At the time i was in 'Active Jazz' mode (now satisfied by my Deluxe), but they had a Miller Jazz on the wall, i said "May i try this please", they even had the exact stack that i use to play though, perfect!.

"No"
Ummm, right, any reason? lol
Apparently it was protected stock from HQ or something, i can buy it if i like, but couldn't try it. It wasn't cos i looked or smelt a bit mucky (touring does that to you), because i tried a couple of more expensive Stingrays.

But what a ridiculous policy!
I've looked around the Oxford street one a few times, never tried anything though. Dunno, didn't like the atmosphere much so left! :)

Si[/quote]

always happens, the guy in bass cellar made me play a peavey usa cirrus thru a GK backline 1x10. Forturnately the tone still shone thru (that's why i like em)

[quote name='G-bitch' post='40529' date='Aug 2 2007, 05:10 PM']Quite why anyone would bother going to Sound Control in London when there's the Gallery to visit is beyond me! I don't even bother going down Denmark St as most stores are staffed by tossers (Bass Cellar anyone?) or full of hideously over-priced vintage crap. Bass centre is OK but the Gallery never fails to be anything short of superb.[/quote]

Oh god, the guy in the Bass Cellar was a right tw***er. I was testing out a Streamer $$ (which I've now ordered) and the guy in the shop basically did everything without even speaking to me. Knob.

I've not actually been to the Gallery as I don't venture near Camden too often but I'll go next time I'm up there.

The Newcastle SC must be the exception that proves the rule here. I have always found the staff there to be friendly and helpful, but I have been shopping there since it was Rock City back in the late seventies/early eighties. Never bought anything significant off them, just strings, pedals and the like but I am encouraged to try anything I want (and frequently do!). Maybe its because my guitarist brother-in-law spends a small fortune with them every year on Gibsons and Jacksons, perhaps they think that I'll eventually catch the bug and have to join him.

Nice end to this post is that my fifteen year old daughter (who plays violin and a bit of guitar) went into the Newcastle branch with a couple of her mates on a Sat afternoon. One of the guys recognised her as my daughter and let her try out a USA tele, telling her to fetch me along to buy it for her. Her friends were suitably impressed and she walked out about two foot taller than she had walked in.

[quote name='JPJ' post='40798' date='Aug 3 2007, 10:09 AM']The Newcastle SC must be the exception that proves the rule here. I have always found the staff there to be friendly and helpful, but I have been shopping there since it was Rock City back in the late seventies/early eighties. Never bought anything significant off them, just strings, pedals and the like but I am encouraged to try anything I want (and frequently do!). Maybe its because my guitarist brother-in-law spends a small fortune with them every year on Gibsons and Jacksons, perhaps they think that I'll eventually catch the bug and have to join him.

Nice end to this post is that my fifteen year old daughter (who plays violin and a bit of guitar) went into the Newcastle branch with a couple of her mates on a Sat afternoon. One of the guys recognised her as my daughter and let her try out a USA tele, telling her to fetch me along to buy it for her. Her friends were suitably impressed and she walked out about two foot taller than she had walked in.[/quote]

That's what they should do for everyone, not just people they recognise.
If you daughter had what seems to be the "normal" treatement she'd have walked out 2 feet smaller feeling like a shoplifiting timewater and never gone back ..

[quote name='Waldo' post='40636' date='Aug 2 2007, 08:46 PM']They really need to put some focus into thier website becuase at the moment, it's more of a webSH*TE! In this age of internet shopping, it's no wonder they're going under....[/quote]

Hope you'll excuse the blatant plug, but it's highly relevant: this is the exact reason I started developing [url="http://www.quicksound.co.uk"]Quicksound[/url]. It lists all Sound Control's catalogue but laid out in what I think is a much more user-friendly interface. You can search and compare with Dolphin / Gear4Music too.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='40674' date='Aug 2 2007, 10:28 PM']Does this now mean 'a good thing'? I really can't keep up with these dialect changes.[/quote]

yeah its a good thing

[quote name='JPJ' post='40798' date='Aug 3 2007, 10:09 AM']The Newcastle SC must be the exception that proves the rule here. I have always found the staff there to be friendly and helpful, but I have been shopping there since it was Rock City back in the late seventies/early eighties. Never bought anything significant off them, just strings, pedals and the like but I am encouraged to try anything I want (and frequently do!). Maybe its because my guitarist brother-in-law spends a small fortune with them every year on Gibsons and Jacksons, perhaps they think that I'll eventually catch the bug and have to join him.

Nice end to this post is that my fifteen year old daughter (who plays violin and a bit of guitar) went into the Newcastle branch with a couple of her mates on a Sat afternoon. One of the guys recognised her as my daughter and let her try out a USA tele, telling her to fetch me along to buy it for her. Her friends were suitably impressed and she walked out about two foot taller than she had walked in.[/quote]

the manager of the newcastle store is now the london manager , a very nice guy called paul

mabye it will have improved down there ( i have no basis of comparison ie only been in when hes managing ) anyway if me getting transferred comes off , i can guarantee im a nice knowledgeable guy so come buy your bass gear off me ( if you guys change your sc oppinions ) !

[quote name='douggy' post='41074' date='Aug 3 2007, 08:44 PM']yeah its a good thing
the manager of the newcastle store is now the london manager , a very nice guy called [size=4][b]paul[/b][/size]

mabye it will have improved down there ( i have no basis of comparison ie only been in when hes managing ) anyway if me getting transferred comes off , i can guarantee im a nice knowledgeable guy so come buy your bass gear off me ( if you guys change your sc oppinions ) ![/quote]

Nice guy and a phenomenal guitarist!