Why become a member? ×

Soundcontrol in dire straits

ARGH

[quote name='OldGit' post='38919' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:49 PM']Sums it up nicely.[/quote]

MB1. :).
How Harsh ....................I am.............. alas........... a bozo too...............apparently?.................... but i think ive got it under control....................,god damn you!......rotosound strings.................Sorry ill get my coat!.

[quote name='Wil' post='38954' date='Jul 30 2007, 01:44 PM']I asked if they had an Elixer 5 string set once in SC Bristol, and was presented with 5 sets of Elixer acoustic strings... :huh:[/quote]

I asked ro a 12 pack of Durex once (as a young student) and was presented with 12 x 12 packs and a very odd look.
This wasn't in Sound Control though ...
:)

[quote name='misrule' post='39108' date='Jul 30 2007, 05:49 PM']Honestly, what are these music-shop people like? Don't they want to stay in business? I've previously been in another (Denmark Street) store where the only member of staff was too busy eating his lunch to let me buy a PRS guitar.

They need their arses kicked :)

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Ah well ... that's the big city innit ....

I must say the SC in Norwich has always been helpful to me. When I got my Ricky about 8 yrs ago the Norwich guys didnt have one in, but they called the Manchester shop who brought it down to Norwich for me to try out... and I bought it so it worked out for everyone concerned. Sadly they dont do that anymore - have been in recently asking them to check with the other stores to see if they had any Musicmasters in any of the stores but they cant check other stores stock anymore for some reason.

The guys in the Norwich store have always been very pleasant to me, and generally pretty helpful when ive asked about stuff.

[quote name='dood' post='39266' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:15 PM']Yeh, I gotta give the Norwich guys a thumbs up. They have always been spot on for me. Sometimes a bit manic and busy, but hey.. it's a shop![/quote]

Haven't been in there for a few years now, was still Academy of Sound when I last visited. Is Greg still there?

[quote name='Stickman' post='39304' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:33 PM']Haven't been in there for a few years now, was still Academy of Sound when I last visited. Is Greg still there?[/quote]

I bought a few things from them mail order when the were AoS .. always excellent service ...

Bought my Spector from Soundcontrol in Southampton, was told on the monday that it would be setup how I wanted. Just before leaving for the 2 hour drive on the Saturday morning I got a call to say that they'd tried to get the strings I wanted in but the bridge and the nut were too small :) I said that's why I asked you to set it up for me!

Went and got it anyway, guy who served me didn't seem bothered that I was spending a grand, and it didn't matter that they hadn't set it up for me, I can file down the bridge myself and if I chip the gold plating it's no problem because after all it's 'just a bass' (his actual words)

That day I made a resolution to never give Soundcontrol any of my money ever again.

Edited by Lifer

Generally speaking I think that Soundcontrol could do a very simple thing and turn their business around.
The vast majority of moans about them are not about prices, stock, getting stuff or anything like that.

Their problems are almost all about staff attitude.

A national staff training programme and a better hiring process and the whole thing would be changed beyond measure.

[quote name='Stickman' post='39304' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:33 PM']Haven't been in there for a few years now, was still Academy of Sound when I last visited. Is Greg still there?[/quote]

Funny you should ask, I bumped into him on Sunday.. Greig is now in Cookes. I have known him for years now. Top bloke, excellent guitarist too.

[quote name='OldGit' post='39392' date='Jul 31 2007, 10:11 AM']Generally speaking I think that Soundcontrol could do a very simple thing and turn their business around.
The vast majority of moans about them are not about prices, stock, getting stuff or anything like that.

Their problems are almost all about staff attitude.

A national staff training programme and a better hiring process and the whole thing would be changed beyond measure.[/quote]

In a similar vein, it occurred to me that I don't go into SC as I did my local music shops when I was younger because they don't do lessons. Seriously, if they had 'Local Academies' or whatever that taught too then they'd have a lot more people through their doors, which eventually means more sales.

Of course for those branches that are based in city centres space may be an issue, as would transport be for those on industrial estates.

hmm, perhaps not then.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='39571' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:00 PM']In a similar vein, it occurred to me that I don't go into SC as I did my local music shops when I was younger because they don't do lessons. Seriously, if they had 'Local Academies' or whatever that taught too then they'd have a lot more people through their doors, which eventually means more sales.[/quote]
One of my regular music stores in Christchurch, New Zealand has done exactly this for exactly those reasons. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='39578' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:13 PM']One of my regular music stores in Christchurch, New Zealand has done exactly this for exactly those reasons. :)[/quote]

Maybe we should call Sound Control's bosses and offer some consultancy :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='39598' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:41 PM']Maybe we should call Sound Control's bosses and offer some consultancy smile.gif[/quote]

LOL, we'd probably spend most of our time discussing what to agree and then we'd eventually decide that the original remit was insufficient and go back to first principles...

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='39646' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:57 PM']Do they take part in any weekend warrior stuff I bet thats a great money spinner with all them 40's50's year old retired muso's, I've always seen them at the indie Music shops never SC.[/quote]

[url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.2/pages/index.php?ww=1"]Weekend Warrior[/url] is a Sound Control initiative ..

Us old people have loadsa money but we also have wisdom - and the Interwebnet - so some maybe up to pay OTT SC prices and put up with poor service but I imagine most shop elsewhere
:)

Having said that if the WW programme gets older people out playing after a break for kids abnd careers and stuff then all power to it.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='39571' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:00 PM']In a similar vein, it occurred to me that I don't go into SC as I did my local music shops when I was younger because they don't do lessons. Seriously, if they had 'Local Academies' or whatever that taught too then they'd have a lot more people through their doors, which eventually means more sales.

Of course for those branches that are based in city centres space may be an issue, as would transport be for those on industrial estates.

hmm, perhaps not then.[/quote]

My ole mate Matt Goom has been doing this with his drum business/shop 'Norwich Drum Academy' since he first opened the doors. It is a very successful venture, opening lots of doors for him.. So much so, that he is now on tour with Glenn Hughes!!!

[url="http://www.norwichdrumacademy.com/"]http://www.norwichdrumacademy.com/[/url]

[quote name='Rich' post='38917' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:48 PM']Last time I went to the Bristol SC they had a very good stock of quality basses, I was impressed... but I got attitude by the bucketload from the guy behind the till when I asked for some strings. He tried to sell me Rotosounds and then implied that I was some know-nothing bozo because I said that I didn't like Rotos. I left the shop stringless, haven't been back. Went to Rikkaxe and was sold what I asked for.[/quote]

Hi Rich,
Hope you're well, still loving the Octave Multiplexer - cheers. :huh:

Had two very different experiences in Bristol SC. First time was quiet evening (straight from the allotment) to get some Elites, waited what for what seemed ages, for someone to reluctantly finish a phone call, & then 'push the Rotosound' not even the gauge I wanted. :) Do they have shares in this brand, or what?

Second visit, very different. Had come straight from work (wearing suit). My wife had an interview across the road, so was only really in SC to use their carpark - customers don't get clamped.
They couldn't help me enough. Three chaps (all really helpful) bringing me one expensive bass after an another to try out. Made it quite clear from the start that I was only browsing. having a mooch around, but loads of useful advice etc. Felt a bit guilty not buying anything!

I still think it would be a shame if Sound Control folded - it's not nice for anyone to lose their job.

All the best, & say hello to Wilko.

Edited by nick

[quote name='douggy' post='39931' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:48 AM']there is a nationwide staff training program , and music academys in some of the stores.

dosent help my attitude tho :)

doug[/quote]

Oh well...
I'll just wait 'till Thomann take them over then ...