Why become a member? ×

Last night's Jools

Deep Thought

Largely pretty horrid, I have to say. There was a massive aura of smug fakeness about the whole thing - probably mostly because it's a sleb knees-up recorded in October (or some similarly unseasonal time) with all the "guests" blatantly only there for the free booze & exposure. Ugh.

The acts were what you'd expect I suppose - those post-Winehouse plastic, soul-free, talent show pub singers (Adele, Duffy) which [i]Later[/i] seems to love, "heritage" acts - Annie Lennox still the same old strident, gurning foghorn, & probably Dave Edmunds' first TV appearance since 1978 - was it a choice between Jools & the "who the f@ck's that?" slot on [i]Buzzcocks[/i]? :) At least Martha Reeves had some classic & timeless material, even if she's not what she once was.

Kelly Jones' rendition of [i]My Girl[/i] was very good - nice to hear he's capable of more than grating Rod Stewart impressions!

I quite liked the Ting Tings - although I can't help feeling that bands like them succeed in using technology to complicate the performance of essentialy simplistic music. Get a bassist! :huh: Hold Steady were good but a bit limp compared to last time they were on Jools.

I got the impression that Duffy's band were a bunch of session guys who'd been told to play like they were "really into it". Perhaps that explains their somewhat incongruous twitching & posturing.

On balance, a poor show that felt like it dragged on for years, the highlight really was some lovely musicianship from Jools' band.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='367896' date='Jan 1 2009, 06:31 PM']Largely pretty horrid, I have to say. There was a massive aura of smug fakeness about the whole thing - probably mostly because it's a sleb knees-up recorded in October (or some similarly unseasonal time) with all the "guests" blatantly only there for the free booze & exposure. Ugh.

The acts were what you'd expect I suppose - those post-Winehouse plastic, soul-free, talent show pub singers (Adele, Duffy) which [i]Later[/i] seems to love, "heritage" acts - Annie Lennox still the same old strident, gurning foghorn, & probably Dave Edmunds' first TV appearance since 1978 - was it a choice between Jools & the "who the f@ck's that?" slot on [i]Buzzcocks[/i]? :) At least Martha Reeves had some classic & timeless material, even if she's not what she once was.

Kelly Jones' rendition of [i]My Girl[/i] was very good - nice to hear he's capable of more than grating Rod Stewart impressions!

I quite liked the Ting Tings - although I can't help feeling that bands like them succeed in using technology to complicate the performance of essentialy simplistic music. Get a bassist! :huh: Hold Steady were good but a bit limp compared to last time they were on Jools.

I got the impression that Duffy's band were a bunch of session guys who'd been told to play like they were "really into it". Perhaps that explains their somewhat incongruous twitching & posturing.

On balance, a poor show that felt like it dragged on for years, the highlight really was some lovely musicianship from Jools' band.

Jon.[/quote]
id love a go on the bird from the ting tings.

[quote name='Rowbee' post='367749' date='Jan 1 2009, 02:18 PM']Big surprise for me was Sam Sparro whose Black and Gold single I hate yet with Jools' band sounded amazing.[/quote]

I thought thet was probably the best song of the show. I was really impressed with how it sounded compered with the synthy studio version which I'm not a bif fan of either.

Despite my tongue in cheek comment earlier re Dizee Rascal( which no-one challenged), I felt it was one of the better Hoots of the last few years.
There again I like female singers so Duffy (perhaps overkill?), Lilly(less so) and Adele rocked my boat although La Lennox was way over the top IMHO.
I'm afraid Kelly Jones may think he can sing soul with My Girl, but he ain't got it: to me he sang it like a rock singer with no finesse.
Dizee Rascal with the bontempi organ backing was IMHO so out of place it was almost good, the Ting Tings left me cold, a sparkly top does not make a song.
Sam Sparro was reasonable, the rest made no impression.
Mind I dislike most things of a male rock genre, so anything leaning towards soul gets my vote: Martha and the Vandellas reminded me of Al Green recently on Later, not as good as they were but still better than most of what's out there.
To compound my grumpy old man status (now 54), who the fcuk are these celebrities and what do they bring to the party? Al Murray, Lenny Henry, were they meant to be funny?
All the above IMHO.........

I thought it wasn't very good to be honest, last year's was much better, but I got increasingly annoyed not by the singing talent, but by Al Murray (who's normally quite good) and Lenny Henry (who's only good on tour or tv with a rehearsed act, when I saw his tour at Warwick Arts Centre a couple of years ago I thought he was quite good).

Dizzie Rascal was ace though, as it's not a bad song, and he actually [b]performed[/b] it with gusto, to me, stole the show.

I feel sorry for Lenny Henry - nice guy, but IMHO, every year his lack of any real talent beyond making a silly voice and sticking out his tongue becomes ever more apparent.

I thought Dizzy Rascal was and is awful, I just figured everyone was entitled to an opinion. :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='368076' date='Jan 1 2009, 09:39 PM']Ok shoot me down in flames, but that Dave Swift maybe the an excellant player but he's a bit wooden. he has all the charisma of a fish.[/quote]

That's not lack of charisma that's just him being cooooool! :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='368076' date='Jan 1 2009, 09:39 PM']Ok shoot me down in flames, but that Dave Swift maybe the an excellant player but he's a bit wooden. he has all the charisma of a fish.[/quote]

Hold the phone! Bass players arn't meant to hide by the drummer, hold the bassline and the rhythm down? Well, stone the crows, that's news to me :)

From mixed reviews looks like I'm glad I missed the Hootenany. Normally enjoy Mr Holland's shows cos he pulls in some class acts but can't get a handle on the New Year dross that seems to get rolled out in the form of Hogmanay specials. Looks like I fall into the same camp as yorks5stringer. Can I join the grumpy old men club then??

Anyway, did usual 'stereo type' Jock thing - went to pub until the bells, party after it until I stopped counting drinks - bit of a sickly puppy today but saw New Year in with a bang and not a whimper.

Happy New Year All and hope you are all going into a better one.........

I only saw about 30 minutes of it and found Holland and the so-called celebrities extremely annoying. I liked the look of the Hold Steadys more than the music. Martha Reeves was a disappointment. The Ting Tings were not quite as awful as I expected. I don't get Duffy but I liked her band. Of the bit that I saw I was surprised that I thought Lily Allen was easily the best.

[quote name='YouMa' post='367964' date='Jan 1 2009, 07:05 PM'][b]Come back tony hancock and bring rik mayall with you.[/b][/quote]

Off-topic but...

Is it just me or, allowing for what you can say and do on TV in the nineties rather than the early sixties, are Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmundson in [i]Bottom[/i] strongly indebted to Tony Hancock and Sid James in [i]Hancock's Half Hour[/i]?

Missed most of it unfortunately - although there wasn't anyone I was particularly bothered about seeing.

I usually like Lilly Allen - not my taste in music but somehow whenever I've watched her perform I'm always pleasantly surprised. I think I was being sick during her bit - no connection. :)

Caught The Ting Tings near the end - which would have counted as the biggest shock of 2008 had we not already passed over into the new year. For a band I always turn off when they're on the radio, I actually enjoyed Shut Up and blah blah quite a lot. They impressed me... that's how I know I was drunk.