Why become a member? ×

Reinventing the wheel

ednaplate

[quote name='ednaplate' post='366123' date='Dec 30 2008, 11:46 AM']How much longer can Fender keep rehashing the same old same old?

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n6w2ArB_zzM"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n6w2ArB_zzM[/url]

Happy New Year y'all.[/quote]

For as long as people are sucked in by their marketing machine.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='366127' date='Dec 30 2008, 11:51 AM']For as long as people are sucked in by their marketing machine.[/quote]

That's very cynical.

Fender will keep putting them out as long as people like the look / feel / tone of them.

Why shouldn't they? Would you rather they went out of business?

What's the difference between Relic and Road Worn?...about a grand probably. :)
"This guitar has seen its share of smokey bars", total utter lies.
You can have the guitar to go with your distressed jeans, all the hard work of actally living an interesting life where you sometimes take risks and get a little knock here and there has now been all taken care of for you.
WoT, I don't want them to go out of business but how much longer will they carry on diluting the magic of the brand?
It seems totally perverse that a guitar is finished to a good standard and then knocked about a little to simulate player wear, the owner should be responsible for any "player wear" and have the memories to go with each knock and scratch.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='366129' date='Dec 30 2008, 11:55 AM']That's very cynical.

Fender will keep putting them out as long as people like the look / feel / tone of them.

Why shouldn't they? Would you rather they went out of business?[/quote]

I did win Mr Cynical UK a few years back :huh:

I have been involved in several lines of business and have come to the conclusion that Marketing for large companies is more important than product !
Thankfully I realised years ago that Fenders are basically not good value for money if what you want out of a bass is playability and sound.
If you are interested in belonging to the "Clan" and are worried about resale then Fenders are an excellent choice.
Producing a good product is no longer good enough these days it has to be sold and the majors especially Fender are superb at selling the "sizzle" whilst in my opinion their "steaks" are mediocre to say the least.
I know this opinion will upset Fender fans but someone has to say it.
I don't get the "relic" thing as to my eye they look false and whats wrong with a nice shiny new guitar ?

Horses for courses and all that just expressing my opinion...... :)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='366137' date='Dec 30 2008, 12:05 PM']I have been involved in several lines of business and have come to the conclusion that Marketing for large companies is more important than product ![/quote]
Of course it is. This isn't exactly news....

Fender is the mainstream, like ITV and Thomas Cook. It's chewing gum (I'm not tarring all Fenders with the same brush here, by the way). There's better stuff out there if you look harder, but 99% of the population don't know that.

...because the big guns' marketing is so effective.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='366137' date='Dec 30 2008, 12:05 PM']I don't get the "relic" thing as to my eye they look false and whats wrong with a nice shiny new guitar ?[/quote]

As I've said before, I don't like them for the same reason I don't like ironed jeans. :)

(I have no interest in buying one of these basses, by the way)

I don't know as the video manages to avoid mentioning this. I do quite like the look of the Precision however I think a well played 70s version (a la Beedster) is likely to be a better instrument as I don't know how you can simulate a played in instrument other than by playing it. A lot.

[quote name='ednaplate' post='366152' date='Dec 30 2008, 12:24 PM']I don't know as the video manages to avoid mentioning this. I do quite like the look of the Precision however I think a well played 70s version (a la Beedster) is likely to be a better instrument as I don't know how you can simulate a played in instrument other than by playing it. A lot.[/quote]

Hmmm, not that it makes a difference, just wondering. They reckon it'll leave money to get to the next gig.....MIM?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='366142' date='Dec 30 2008, 12:13 PM']As I've said before, I don't like them for the same reason I don't like ironed jeans. :)[/quote]

*indignant tone*

What's wrong with ironed jeans?

*steps it up with dig which could be perceived as personally targetted by the OP because of colloquial use of 'your' where 'one's' would have been more formally neutral*

Better ironed than looking like someone used your legs for a failed origami project.

*end of sarcastic, internet weary commentary*

I shall shortly be launching my new range of Del Var "Road Worn" strings for '2009:

* Vintage 50's Saddle Kink at bridge end
* String wrap infused with "Golden Age" iron oxide rust and pre-applied dried flesh
* Intonation "Stretched-Out" to get that late-period Jamerson sound
* Sprayed with choice of 3 "Roadhouse" scents: 'Stale Beer', '100 Smokey Bars' and 'Truck Stop Hooker'
* One string in each pack pre-snapped for that genuine 'Dang it, Ah'm such a hot picker, Ah just done broke mah string' look

Available in all popular gauges. See us on our stand at NAMM

[i](Disclaimer: "Road-Worn" Authenticity applies only inside purchaser's mind. May not function in real world. May generate scornful comment. Your statutory right to be gulled is not infringed) [/i]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='366233' date='Dec 30 2008, 02:07 PM']I shall shortly be launching my new range of Del Var "Road Worn" strings for '2009:

* Vintage 50's Saddle Kink at bridge end
* String wrap infused with "Golden Age" iron oxide rust and pre-applied dried flesh
* Intonation "Stretched-Out" to get that late-period Jamerson sound
* Sprayed with choice of 3 "Roadhouse" scents: 'Stale Beer', '100 Smokey Bars' and 'Truck Stop Hooker'
* One string in each pack pre-snapped for that genuine 'Dang it, Ah'm such a hot picker, Ah just done broke mah string' look

Available in all popular gauges. See us on our stand at NAMM

[i](Disclaimer: "Road-Worn" Authenticity applies only inside purchaser's mind. May not function in real world. May generate scornful comment. Your statutory right to be gulled is not infringed) [/i][/quote]

:)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='366296' date='Dec 30 2008, 03:07 PM']No offence to anybody who owns a relic'd guitar/bass on here... But i really think a relic'd guitar is possibly the most pretentious thing money can buy.[/quote]

I agree with you.

I played a Fender Pino Palladino Relic Precision at GAK in Brighton. It would not have been impossible for the staff to have relieved me of in excess of 2000 quid if it hadn't been a relic. Well, if I'd actually had £2000 as well. :)

Mind you, would rejecting a relic that felt perfect and sounded perfect for you also be a mistake?

This seems to coincide with the fashion at the moment for ridiculous jeans that have a similar distressed look. And not in any sort of good way that you imagine. Usually they end up making the person look like they've crapped themselves due to discoloured patches on the back of the legs! Or the horrible bleachy patterns all over. Ergh!

if you like the look of it, why not?

adding a different pickguard makes no difference, but it makes it look better. having a re-fin makes no difference, except that it looks better. are they wastes of money? i admit that a relic costs a hell of a lot more than either of those, but if you prefer the look and think its worth the extra money, then i dont have a problem. to me its exactly the same as different coloured basses or different coloured pickguards - as in that its all just about looks and makes absolutely no difference to sound or playability (although some relics try to make the neck feel more played in so you might say these relics are actually more useful than pickguards).

I don't think there's anything wrong with an instrument that is worn.
I think that producing a new instrument, then spending time/resources to then damage it [cosmetically I'll admit], then charge more for it whilst claiming that it's been kissed by fairy dust, or mojo, or whatever is the big con.
It all reeks of fashion to me - Emperor's New Clothes.