Why become a member? ×

Reinventing the wheel

ednaplate

[quote name='chris_b' post='366576' date='Dec 30 2008, 08:24 PM']I wore my bass down to the wood by playing it so I guess I look at relicing as cheating.[/quote]
I've got three of 'em, with a combined age of over 100 years, all nicely worn.

Does it bother me that someone can go into a shop and buy one that would fool most people from 5ft away? Na. Not a jot.

It's not a competition. Frankly, life is too short.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='366618' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:06 PM']It's not a competition. Frankly, life is too short.[/quote]

+1
Also, give me most relics over those bloody late 80's/early 90's things Fender chucked out :)
The reason Fender make relics is because they're a business and would be stupid (or out of business) to not to make models that sell, especially when the market for them has been proven (not helped by the trend for big hitters like Sting et al to play very old and well-trashed basses - sorry, did I say play, I meant to say "be photographed with for interviews and then return to their bank vault").
The other day, when sitting in a M25 jam, I asked the Future Mrs Beedster why Alfa Romeo would be stupid enough to make a gold car, and she said "because they know there's plenty of people out there stupid enough to buy one". Now the car in question was REALLY bad taste, as are some relics, whilst others are actually pretty good. It's the old eye of the beholder thing isn't it. No one is making you buy one, and you may not ever want to, but choice is good.
Chris

I'd say they've identified a market and/or are merely meeting demand. I'm not a fan of shiny basses. However i do own some. I prefer a matt or dulled finish, so there isn't much choice out there when looking at new guitars.
I find it funny that people get angry about this though :)

Not sure on this one, but I guess my opinion is 'the more options the better' and let the buyer choose.

I like shiney new guitars and get a bit upset when new ones get dinged, mainly because I see each one as depreciating its value should I choose to sell/px it. The only bass I have where I don't feel this way is my 2004 P bass becasue it's a keeper and in 20 years time it'll look like one of these relics but probably wont be worth much.

Ironically I played a 1969 P bass yesterday that looked like one of these. It rattled/buzzed and played like a dog, however if someone had offered it to me in a trade against my 2004 I would have snatched their hand off so I could sell it and buy something decent. I can understand the relic thing if it looks like the 1969 I played but played like the 2004 :)

Edited by martthebass

Not really a fan of relics, some look ok some don't. If people want them then what's wrong with Fender building them?

The only thing which taints the idea is the price, which suggests the target audience for relics (Fender ones anyway) is the born-again middle-aged wannabe rockstar (apologies to all born-again middle-aged rockstars!). I've not seen a working musician playing one but know plenty who have bought the Standard series in the last few years

The best bit about wear and tear on an instrument is the fact it's your playing doing it, my old Warwick feels like MY bass cos i've done countless gigs with it. You can't buy that

If i wanted a relic bass i'd get a highway one and sell the case! Two months later, bob's your uncle!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='366617' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:05 PM']I thought we all sold our souls a long time ago? I know I did.[/quote]

'Bout the same time we joined their system :huh:

I love the look of a worn out bass...but like alot of people here...I want the scars to bring back memories.

Mind you..I'd glady smash up someones new Fender for them :huh:...sounds like a good job. :)

I don't mind people buying what they think looks nice... but i'm sure there's people out there that buy relics because they want to be seen with a vintage bass and want people to think it's vintage... I just really can't stand them. I won't stand in the way of people buying them, but honestly, for the life of me, i can't even begin to understand the attraction to vintage/relic'd basses. Give me a nice shiny new one any time.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='366130' date='Dec 30 2008, 11:56 AM']What's the difference between Relic and Road Worn?...about a grand probably. :)
"This guitar has seen its share of smokey bars", total utter lies.
You can have the guitar to go with your distressed jeans, all the hard work of actally living an interesting life where you sometimes take risks and get a little knock here and there has now been all taken care of for you.
WoT, I don't want them to go out of business but how much longer will they carry on diluting the magic of the brand?
It seems totally perverse that a guitar is finished to a good standard and then knocked about a little to simulate player wear, the owner should be responsible for any "player wear" and have the memories to go with each knock and scratch.[/quote]

Agree 100%. I know where all the blood stains on my Infinity came from.

It's well documented that I like new and shiny stuff, but I do like the idea of the delicate nitro finish Highway Ones. I've seen a few on TB where people have genuinely worn them in by playing. Some of them look really good & some have obviously been helped along the way more than a little! But the "road worn" series is a step too far IMHO. I'd like to gig some wear and tear on a nitro Fender, not have it done for me :)

And my earlier comment stands - Please Fender, I know your instruments sell like hot cakes, but for gawd's sake, design something new!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='370640' date='Jan 5 2009, 09:29 AM']And my earlier comment stands - Please Fender, I know your instruments sell like hot cakes, but for gawd's sake, design something new![/quote]

I'd rather they just were honest: we do 3 basses - finish/hardware/pick-ups/electronics/wood/neck-body combination etc. to be chosen by you.

I suppose it could launch a new rash of ebay scams? Knowing the skill of most home relic'ers with a power belt sander surely they'll just run over the bass with a van or drag it behind one for a few miles for that 'road worn' look! :)