Why become a member? ×

Are you a member of TalkBass?

acidbass

I've been a member there longer than I have here but probably only have about 20 posts to my name. I find it a bit clicky if you don't have a) an old Fender or :) an exotic US made custom bass (this of course is my perception). They are definitely very easily offended and have little sense of humour.

I'm a TB member but I mostly stay around here these days.

I've had dealings with very nice people on TB - I only just missed a buying opportunity recently and the seller PM'd me to offer me first go at his other similar basses,. Nice thought, specially as I'd be haranguing him for not being prepared to ship to the UK :)

I've also had my head bitten off a few times, mostly for trying to understand why 1200 watts seems to be a working minimum for a bedroom/small club bass player in the US..
I still don't get it...

[quote name='Machines' post='362929' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:22 PM']I've been a member there longer than I have here but probably only have about 20 posts to my name. I find it a bit clicky if you don't have a) an old Fender or :) an exotic US made custom bass (this of course is my perception). They are definitely very easily offended and have little sense of humour.[/quote]

or c) Supporting Membership.

[quote name='Platypus' post='362922' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:12 PM']Al, you forgot 'Kicks Ass' :)[/quote]

You also forgot to use the word "pwn"

Although my favourite Americanisms are thing like "Vic Wooten totally owns a bass" - well, yeah he's a bassist :huh: Good old language barrier :huh:

Cheers
Alun

I'm a TB member and have found people to be generally ok. It does seem though that every high-end or vintage bass "plays like butta" in the for sale threads.
I bought a preamp off TB this year which developed a problem a couple of weeks later, I told the seller and he paid for the repair, he could have said deal with it, you're 5000 miles away, awesome dude! :)
I got a warning once for asking if Far Eastern production of a certain amp had anything to do with the reports of failure that were being posted.
They do like their clubs, I think there is a club for nearly every facet of bass, all good fun though.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='362941' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:37 PM']They do like their clubs, I think there is a club for nearly every facet of bass, all good fun though.[/quote]

Strange that in the supposed 'land of the free' everyone is so keen to get their membership number. :)

I frequent the place but only when i'm looking for some specific information. I'd never go off topic or risk making a joke. I did get a telling off for doing a religious post, i.e. questioning the existence of God when everyone else was assuming his existence - I'm not sure they got told off too.

[quote name='WarPig' post='362905' date='Dec 24 2008, 03:49 PM']haha yeah, ive had a few infractions, one was for a rick-roll link, which to be fair if Maki or Mungi posted it everyone [b]would of[/b] laughed.[/quote]

Would [b]have[/b] - "of" is a preposition not a verb. There's your very generous Xmas prezzie from me, credibility with irritating pedants. :-)

[quote name='Machines' post='362929' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:22 PM']I've been a member there longer than I have here but probably only have about 20 posts to my name. I find it a bit clicky if you don't have a) an old Fender or :) an exotic US made custom bass (this of course is my perception). They are definitely very easily offended and have little sense of humour.[/quote]

...what he said...

It's cliquey, over the top and full of total geeks who piss their pants over, it would seem, almost anything ...but yes, i am a member...don't post very often though...mainly because i can't be arsed and the fact that the latest discovery of a Jaco bass doesn't really do it for me...prefer this site as you guys are more 'real' to me.

Edited by thebeat

I like to go there from time to time and tell them Jaco was crap just to wind them up as they seem to think that everyone in the world is influenced by his playing.

They weren't even allowed to talk about their own election.

There's a lot of religion but science books in america contain a paragraph that states even though science has proven the theory of evolution, the story of adam and eve is still true. Or words to that effect.

I've just been on there just now to see if anyone had one of those spare thingys that hold the Genz Shuttle to the cabinet as I'm trying to figure out a way to attach it to my cab stand

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='363005' date='Dec 24 2008, 06:12 PM']There's a lot of religion but science books in america contain a paragraph that states even though science has proven the theory of evolution, the story of adam and eve is still true. Or words to that effect.[/quote]

Thank the Evangelicals and Creationists for that. Though I am intriguied as to where they ascertained their evidence.

Just been on there to look for some info, it really isn't the most welcoming site, espeically compared to this one.

[quote name='acidbass' post='362851' date='Dec 24 2008, 03:04 PM']Just interested as to how many of our members have joined/actively use Talkbass!

Personally I've never felt the need to use it as I find this forum a lot more relevant and informative. The idea of dealing with our inferior trans-atlantic brethren doesn't exactly appeal to me either!

Actually, on that note, I'm just wondering what gear I'd currently be using had it not been for Basschat. I can't even begin to think how much this forum has affected my buying (and selling) habits :)

Danny[/quote]

i am a newbie but enjoy the breadth of the forum topics and the uk based chat

i am not keen on TB but am a long standing member of hcbf and ebassist
bloody both mate! :huh: