Why become a member? ×

Changing string brands

ARGH

Hi all....

Ive been a LOOOOOONNNG time user of Elites,and Im happyish,but I do wonder what else is out there...its been aeons since I changed brands.

Im Playing a 6,and just had an amazing conflab with 'James' at Stringbusters...and by the way we are going it looks as if DR's are where I might look next...

Then again,Ive had the Yanks say I should give R.Cocco a shot,and then AGAIN,I get another set of bods saying SIT's ...

Has anyone got any exp with the above brands/manufacturers,in the field usage,general tone,feel etc

I play Heavy Metal,and do functions/clubs/pubwork.....I hate Nickel,and prefer a roundcore. Im also a fan of heavy guages.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='361846' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:57 AM']I use Status Hotwires. All strings are available with double ball for those that dont like heads.[/quote]
Im happy to announce that I dont have that problem/design fault

ON TOPIC: So has anyone tried DR's?

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='crez5150' post='361849' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:59 AM']+ 1 on the Hotwires..... and not too expensive!![/quote]

[quote name='Merton' post='361850' date='Dec 23 2008, 12:01 PM']DRs are good. Status Hotwires remind me of DRs but are cheaper and British :)[/quote]

Hotwires are 25 Euro (+postage) a pop, I realise that isn't 'too' expensive but it is on a par with the prices I've found on-line for DRs and Thomastiks... or are they available cheaper elsewhere.

Sorry, I realise the OP has no limits on cost etc but I'm as tight as a gnat's chuff! :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='361861' date='Dec 23 2008, 12:13 PM']Hotwires are 25 Euro (+postage) a pop, I realise that isn't 'too' expensive but it is on a par with the prices I've found on-line for DRs and Thomastiks... or are they available cheaper elsewhere.

Sorry, I realise the OP has no limits on cost etc but I'm as tight as a gnat's chuff! :huh:[/quote]

Haven't bought any for a while so haven't noticed a price increase, ah well! :huh:

[quote name='ARGH' post='361995' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:08 PM']anyone use anything a bit different? like Tomastik or Pyramid[/quote]

I used TI's once, they were sh*t. IMO. :)

I recently converted from Elites (used em for 5 years) to Elixirs, loving it but not really what i'd use for metal.
When i did play a lot of metal i used LaBella Hard Rockin Steels and found them to be excellent for that style, i think i ended up using the 50 - 110s as i broke the thinner ones.
Jason Newsted used em in metallica and he hammers his basses, plus they're cheap too

DR Fatbeams are super.
And they have round cores.
The compression winding technique that DR uses helps to add mass, but doesn't seem to increase stiffness for a given gauge.
Apparently the .105 E string uses .108's worth of metal.
Good tone, nice and compliant / responsive, plus they last and last...

[quote name='johnnylager' post='362031' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:45 PM']....I must have got a dodgy set of Lo-Riders - went off within an hour....[/quote]
I gig the same bass between 1 and 3 times a week so, somehow, I must to be very kind to my strings!
I usually use Lo-Riders or sometimes Hi-Beams, depending on what's available. They zing for a couple of months then get into the nice mellow phase until I change them, usually at 12 months. Unless DR really screw up I'm a customer for life!

[quote name='uptonmark' post='362137' date='Dec 23 2008, 04:49 PM']i use DR fatbeams

sound great for ages......
and then sound good as new after a day soaking in meths

about £15 on e-bay[/quote]

When was the last time you got a set of DRs for £15? You must have been re-using the set that you have for a while. :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='362044' date='Dec 23 2008, 03:01 PM']anyone try/use Hi-beams?[/quote]

I, like you, used elites for a long time - about 10 years. Its only this year that I tried DR hi-beams. Fantastic...love them. But very pricey. Gotta be careful how you fit them too, as they have an inner core that can de-tach from the other layer.

I then got a set of D'addario Nickels free for my 6'er and they are even better! So now I'm pro-d'addario. Can't fault them.

Not a big fan of Warwick strings - even though I have four warwick basses and think the world of them.

[quote name='Merton' post='362017' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:30 PM']I used TI's once, they were sh*t. IMO. :)[/quote]
Thomastiks are not to everyone's taste as they are very flexible and respond better to a light touch. They're all I use on most of my basses and I've never had a bad set. They're certainly not sh*t IMO. :huh:

Rotospounds on the other hand... :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='362141' date='Dec 23 2008, 04:52 PM']When was the last time you got a set of DRs for £15? You must have been re-using the set that you have for a while. :)[/quote]

two sets for £31-74,,,,, £15-87 each + p&p :huh:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-sets-DR-MARCUS-MILLER-FAT-BEAMS-BASS-STRINGS-45-105_W0QQitemZ110322361180QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item110322361180&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-sets-DR-MARCUS-MIL...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]