Why become a member? ×

Changing string brands

ARGH

As someone who was also a long time user of Elites and happy but not totally, I've been using SITs which are definitely an improvement but still not THE ONE. Tried DR Sunbeams and LoRiders and didn't like either of them enough to justify the cost. When you get a good set of Rotosounds they are absolutely great but the quality seems very hit and miss at the moment, although it is better than 15 years ago when they appeared to be incapable of making anything other than standard gauge 4-string 34" scale round-wound sets.

[quote name='uptonmark' post='362224' date='Dec 23 2008, 06:33 PM']two sets for £31-74,,,,, £15-87 each + p&p :huh:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-sets-DR-MARCUS-MILLER-FAT-BEAMS-BASS-STRINGS-45-105_W0QQitemZ110322361180QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item110322361180&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-sets-DR-MARCUS-MIL...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

Cheers! :huh:

They are some of the cheapest prices for DRs that I've seen but you do have to factor in about £3.50 - £4 per set for postage so the £15 a set goal is closer to £19 - £20 per set. :) Still as I say better than several other retailers, so they are on my 'to check' list.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='362141' date='Dec 23 2008, 04:52 PM']When was the last time you got a set of DRs for £15? You must have been re-using the set that you have for a while. :)[/quote]

my main string is TI round jazz

i change alternately to eb and such just to get the wonderful feel when i fit a set of TI's

[quote name='Jarhead' post='362162' date='Dec 23 2008, 05:11 PM']A bit OT, but I was wondering, what do people recommend as a very bright string that holds its tone for a while, in 50-110 gauge. If possible without silk wrappings as well, but doesn't need to be. Any help greatly appreciated.
Zach[/quote]

Try ELITE Stadiums 50-70-90-110. Purple silks: brightish and with the slight added sound of flanger pedal. The thicker the string, the stronger the flanger sound. Still running mine in.

Balcro.

[quote name='ARGH' post='363232' date='Dec 25 2008, 09:40 AM']Im not a drinker...I might just stay with Elites....at least I know what Im getting.[/quote]

Happily , I am a drinker , but despite the occassional falling over and attcking policemen I use double ball end Elites on my headless too. Never tried Status strings.

I've got Elixirs on my Shuker at the mo which sound good to me a year after I put them on. Having said that if I'd put Crappo's El cheapo strings on a year ago I probably wouldn't have changed them yet.

The rest all sport Rotosounds. Been using them forever and see no reason to change. I get all my strings from Strings Direct. Fast delivery , cheap , sorted.

Used Rotos for years. Then I swapped to Elites for even more years mainly because the studio I used to rehearse in sold them. Then I discovered D'Addarios which was like a breath of fresh air. Decided to give stainless steel a crack but the Prosteels felt horrible to me.

Recently I have been using cheap and cheerful Roberts strings and they are absolutely fine IMHO. I am going to get some Roberts "Snakes" smoothwounds after the festive period and give them a go.

I am tempted to swap back to D'Addario nickels but the Roberts strings are cheap enough to stick with for now.

Paul.