Why become a member? ×

Heavy Weather

wishface

and not the Jaco kind.

Anyone else struggle in this weather: I find in the heat as my hands get a bit sweaty. But the problem is that they just end up getting sticky and stuck on the back of the neck when i'm trying to play.

Likewise my strings feel 'grabby' as well (to borrow a phrase from talkbass)

• Like 2

I love it.

Having played under old fashioned huge lighting rigs before LED lights, i learned a long time ago that gloss neck finishes get sticky. That’s why I play a USA EBMM with a gun oiled neck. I always wear sweat bands on my wrists too - they stop the sweat running down your arms.

• Like 3

For some reason I sweat mostly from my head - I like to think its because my brain is doing lots of work.  I also get a rash on my wrist where my arm rests on the bass - sorted by a wrist band, but other than that playing in the heat isn't much different to playing at other times.

I lived in Qatar for 18 months.  The weather we've been having the last few days is average for Qatar in February, while I was there it regularly got to over 50 Deg C in the summer, with near 100% humidity.  Playing gigs in that weather was a struggle as the air con couldn't cope with the massive crowds we used to draw (to be fair it was a captive market).  I've always hated the heat, but Qatar taught me to learn to live with it - I get less bothered by it now but still prefer the winter.

Edited by Nicko

Just now, ambient said:

Would antiperspirant work on hands?

I use this amazing roll on called Perspirex which says you can use it on your hands. I don’t sweat that much but wanted to try it under arm because I got annoyed with those other brands that say they work but don’t. I went for the full strength one and didn’t sweat for a whole fortnight lol. Now I use the light version and it still works for days on end! 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2019 at 21:18, wishface said:

Likewise my strings feel 'grabby' as well (to borrow a phrase from talkbass)

Was playing bass last night, after a weeks break (tendonitis :()  - noticed that the frets on the jazz were 'buzzy' 'cos the neck had bowed slightly (back-bend) :(

Can't decide whether to tweak the truss-rod, or wait for the weather to cool... 🤔

Edited by Teebs

10 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Was playing bass last night, after a weeks break (tendonitis :()  - noticed that the frets on the jazz were 'buzzy' 'cos the neck had bowed slightly (back-bend) :(

Can't decide whether to tweak the truss-rod, or wait for the weather to cool... 🤔

I had the same  on one of my jazzes, I did a 1/4 turn and it was fine 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 26/08/2019 at 22:18, wishface said:

But the problem is that they just end up getting sticky and stuck on the back of the neck when i'm trying to play. 

Ha! My Ricky 4003 has the patented syrup finish to the back of the neck and is always a little "grabby". In a humid environment (like most gigs or yesterday) it gets even worse. With the oppressive weather yesterday it was like someone had velcroed my hand to the neck.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Ha! My Ricky 4003 has the patented syrup finish to the back of the neck and is always a little "grabby". In a humid environment (like most gigs or yesterday) it gets even worse. With the oppressive weather yesterday it was like someone had velcroed my hand to the neck.

TOP TIP @Skinnyman:

Always wash your hands after eating jam sandwiches before playing bass :)

You're welcome smiley

• Haha 2