Why become a member? ×

Where are people getting their strings from these days

warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='360945' date='Dec 22 2008, 01:25 PM']I'm after a couple of sets of Sunbeams and went on Stringbuster's site but prices have gone up £6-£7 in the last 6 mths! The weakness of the £ v $ means that the import route via ebay seems pretty pricey to... where is the wise (tight :) ) shopper to go these days?[/quote]

Down to B&Q for a bottle of meths, apparently

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17960&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17960&hl=[/url]

Hi John
My Music stuff via ebay do the sunbeams in sets of two that work out £40 delivered, i only used the company once to get few sets of sunbeams it took a week to get to and they cocked up my order, when i emailed them they were not only unapologetic about my inconvinience they were rude. so im a bit reluctant to use them again, they did sort it out after another week and A half, i just use strings direct and have gone back to d,addario xl,s as they are half the cost, nowhere near the sunbeams though love em.-lee

It looks like Thomann are about the cheapest for the Sunbeams @ £22... anyone found cheaper?

[quote name='lee650' post='361276' date='Dec 22 2008, 06:39 PM']Hi John
My Music stuff via ebay do the sunbeams in sets of two that work out £40 delivered, i only used the company once to get few sets of sunbeams it took a week to get to and they cocked up my order, when i emailed them they were not only unapologetic about my inconvinience they were rude. so im a bit reluctant to use them again, they did sort it out after another week and A half, i just use strings direct and have gone back to d,addario xl,s as they are half the cost, nowhere near the sunbeams though love em.-lee

It looks like Thomann are about the cheapest for the Sunbeams @ £22... anyone found cheaper?[/quote]

Cheers Lee,

I found those strings on eBay, £40 for 2 sets isn't bad but as you say cr*p service is cr*p service!

strings direct work out @ £54 for 2 sets of DRs!

I know that Thomann do 2 sets of D'Addario's for £30 and GHS Boomers for £13 a set...

B*ll*cks I might just take a chance on the ones from the States as I have quite taken to these Sunbeams. :)

This is a German mob that I've used a few times in the past. They're quite good, I just don't know how the exchange rate will work out for you.

[url="http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/index.php?cPath=397_66_295&sort=products_sort_order&osCsid=qu48gpen9ub29nus6as1dd3goj1r1hno&filter_id=51"]Saitenkatalog[/url]

[quote name='bassaussie' post='361331' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:37 PM']This is a German mob that I've used a few times in the past. They're quite good, I just don't know how the exchange rate will work out for you.

[url="http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/index.php?cPath=397_66_295&sort=products_sort_order&osCsid=qu48gpen9ub29nus6as1dd3goj1r1hno&filter_id=51"]Saitenkatalog[/url][/quote]

Cheers, there's nowt in it between them and Thomann really! Bloody economy/exchange rate screwing up my string buying... tsk! :)

[quote name='BassBod' post='361360' date='Dec 22 2008, 08:19 PM']Second vote for Saitenkatalog - they used to be fair bit cheaper (£17 a set) and I've found their service to be very good. Pickup some Thomastik superalloys while you're at it - my second fav string, like a cross between a DR Sunbeam and a Roto...[/quote]

:) Already using the Thomastik Superalloys!

They were only about £12 a set earlier this year but they are now up to £20 as well, otherwise I'd still get the Thomastiks but when they are almost the same price I'll get the Sunbeams. :huh:

After seeing some recommendations here for Saitenkatalog, I bought 3 sets of less common strings that I wanted to try out from them.

Despite all 3 sets being marked as in stock at the time of my order (and I actually picked sets that were in stock over others) my order was delayed for several weeks because one set was out of stock by the time my order had finished processing (something that itself took 2 days).

Also other than getting a confirmation email that my order was processing and one when it finally shipped there was no other status emails at all and the only way I could find out about my order was to log into the website and follow a torturous route through my account pages.

It proved to be impossible to amend my order to either replace the out of stock set with another that was in stock or delete it completely so that the rest of the order could progress.

Finally when the strings did turn up one of the sets was wrong - looking at the set codes and the web site I've been sent the right strings but they've been incorrectly described on the page and therefore not what I had wanted to order. The returns process turned out not to work in the browser of my choice and when I did get it working in an alternative browser, I ran into a block because they had sent me 'right' strings, it's just that because they were wrongly described I'd ordered them by mistake. It proved impossible to resolve this either because of a language barrier (I find that hard to believe as most German companies will have at least one employee who's English skills are probably better than mine) or because they simply couldn't be bothered. Contact directly by emails went unanswered.

Overall for me a very poor customer experience and I certainly won't be placing another order with them.

I'm still using Stringbusters even though the price has gone up, they still offer a discount the more sets you buy at one time, and the service is spot on, I.e. order delivered next day by lunchtime. I've used Elites Players for many years now and I simply don't know where else to get them at a better price and in the guages I want, any suggestions gratefully received, luckily my Sei seems to make strings last longer too.

Mike

[quote name='BassBod' post='361360' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:19 PM']Second vote for Saitenkatalog - they used to be fair bit cheaper (£17 a set) and I've found their service to be very good. Pickup some Thomastik superalloys while you're at it - my second fav string, like a cross between a DR Sunbeam and a Roto...[/quote]

That probably comes down to the exchange rate - in Euros, their prices are still pretty much the same as they've been for a couple of years.

I've found these guys in the US to be very good, though admit the fx rate was a lot better when I last ordered - still looks like two 4 tring sets of Hi-Beams would work out at £19 each delivered.

They don't have a huge range though they are some good prices:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26353&hl=platypus+dr"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=platypus+dr[/url]

Don't know how this compares to the ebay sellers

Oh yes, and some good prices for Ken Smith strings too..

Edited by Platypus

I've bought stuff from Saitenkatalog and never had a problem, and I've used stringbusters and stringsdirect loads of times, and again I've never had a problem.

Recently though I've decided to switch back and buy things the old fashioned way, ie from a shop.

I bought a bulk order of 6 string DR's from Mark at Bassdirect, and I've bought a few sets from the Gallery.

Sure you pay a bit more, though to be honest it's really not a lot, but what's a few quid compared with personal service, and you also get the right stuff, and maybe you'll get a bit more discount when you go in a make a major purchase.

I bought a batch of Sunbeams from Perfect Bass in the USA. I can't speak highly enough of their service, friendliest most helpful dealer I've ever come across!

[url="http://www.theperfectbass.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=110&SN=345&CT=101a&PG=102905101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y"]http://www.theperfectbass.com/explore.cfm?...p;SS=1&CR=Y[/url]

Sunbeams currently listing at $22 a set and if you're a signed up TalkBass member they'll add maybe another 10% or so discount.

I bought 5 sets and some other stuff and was in the States at the time and they threw in shipping for free. Obviously shipping to the UK will be a factor and VAT & import duties are going to add even more so it might not be worth the hassle now.

I did wonder at one point about maybe getting a bit of a BassChat cartel going. If enough people wanted a few sets it might almost have been worth setting something up as they have a huge range of makes and sets available. However the bloody £ is worth a lot less against the $ these days making a bulk order not as attractive.

[quote name='molan' post='361936' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:18 PM']I bought a batch of Sunbeams from Perfect Bass in the USA. I can't speak highly enough of their service, friendliest most helpful dealer I've ever come across!

[url="http://www.theperfectbass.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=110&SN=345&CT=101a&PG=102905101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y"]http://www.theperfectbass.com/explore.cfm?...p;SS=1&CR=Y[/url]

Sunbeams currently listing at $22 a set and if you're a signed up TalkBass member they'll add maybe another 10% or so discount.

I bought 5 sets and some other stuff and was in the States at the time and they threw in shipping for free. Obviously shipping to the UK will be a factor and VAT & import duties are going to add even more so it might not be worth the hassle now.

I did wonder at one point about maybe getting a bit of a BassChat cartel going. If enough people wanted a few sets it might almost have been worth setting something up as they have a huge range of makes and sets available. However the bloody £ is worth a lot less against the $ these days making a bulk order not as attractive.[/quote]

Cheers mate, I've emailed them re the cost of 5 sets so I'll check this out.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='361971' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:40 PM']Cheers mate, I've emailed them re the cost of 5 sets so I'll check this out.[/quote]

I'm a FaceBook friend with the Sales Manager now :)

His name is Brandt Bourque (they are based in Baton Rouge after all!).

His direct mail address is [email protected] - maybe mention me and definitely mention the TalkBass membership for an extra discount :huh: :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lee650' post='361276' date='Dec 22 2008, 06:39 PM']Hi John

It looks like Thomann are about the cheapest for the Sunbeams @ £22... anyone found cheaper?[/quote]

sh*t . I remember recommending MyMusicStuff to you Lee! I'm ever so sorry! I've never had a problem with them in the 4 years I've been using them.

Sincerest apologies.

Nick.

(sorry for the small thread hijack)

A quick update.

As a result of a recommendation from 'Molan' I ordered 5 sets of DR strings from ThePerfectBass in the USA and they came though in about a week (tracking supplied) and saved me a bit on the cheapest price I could find anywhere else. Nice to comment on a good service for a change, I may well start a thread just to make others aware.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='372163' date='Jan 6 2009, 04:50 PM']A quick update.

As a result of a recommendation from 'Molan' I ordered 5 sets of DR strings from ThePerfectBass in the USA and they came though in about a week (tracking supplied) and saved me a bit on the cheapest price I could find anywhere else. Nice to comment on a good service for a change, I may well start a thread just to make others aware.[/quote]

Excellent news - shame the exchange rate has dipped recently as they would have been an even better deal!

[quote name='molan' post='372172' date='Jan 6 2009, 04:55 PM']Excellent news - shame the exchange rate has dipped recently as they would have been an even better deal![/quote]

:) A you say, less than £20 a set is a good deal but a year ago when it was closer to $2 = £1 I'd have been closer to £12/£13 a set.