Why become a member? ×

I Love Gigging!

Jazzmaster62

31 minutes ago, odysseus said:

My experience of playing originals is that you get to play festivals in front of people who want to see original bands, not some bunch of Man U shirts squawking for Wonderwall all night.

If I wanted money I'd be playing Agadoo (and possibly Wonderwall!) in some function band.  Nowt wrong with that, if you're in it for the wedge. We all got our motivations. Vive la difference and all that... 🙂

Don't take my original post too seriously. It was intended as a light-hearted poke at both sides, from the perspective of someone who has seen both sides. I was hoping that I'd represented both angles reasonably well.

S.P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Don't take my original post too seriously. It was intended as a light-hearted poke at both sides, from the perspective of someone who has seen both sides. I was hoping that I'd represented both angles reasonably well.

S.P.

Fair play, mate, I've been on both sides too. As long as everyone's happy doing their thing, then all is good! 🙂

3 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't mean 6 hours driving each way. I mean I leave the house sometime around 6:30pm (plus or minus half an hour) and get home at about 1am (plus or minus half an hour).

S.P.

We had a monthly gig in Milwaukee, the hours we're 9:30-1:30. Home by 3:00.

Blue

2 hours ago, odysseus said:

My experience of playing originals is that you get to play festivals in front of people who want to see original bands, not some bunch of Man U shirts squawking for Wonderwall all night.

If I wanted money I'd be playing Agadoo (and possibly Wonderwall!) in some function band.  Nowt wrong with that, if you're in it for the wedge. We all got our motivations. Vive la difference and all that... 🙂

Depends on what the originals scene is like where the band is playing.

Festival gigs would be far and few in-between for local originals bands in my neck of the woods.

I've seen it from both sides.

Blue

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Depends on what the originals scene is like where the band is playing.

Festival gigs would be far and few in-between for local originals bands in my neck of the woods.

I've seen it from both sides.

Blue

Yes indeed. There seems to be quite a lot of variance between areas. Fortunately, the festival scene is predominantly original where I am, and small festivals seem to growing in number year on year, which is pretty cool.

40 minutes ago, odysseus said:

Yes indeed. There seems to be quite a lot of variance between areas. Fortunately, the festival scene is predominantly original where I am, and small festivals seem to growing in number year on year, which is pretty cool.

I think you also have to consider the level of an originals band  The guys that have been around a particular scene for a while, the act is solid with a large number of fans can get good festival bookings.

I'm not sure how it works for new guys starting out 

Blue

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I think you also have to consider the level of an originals band  The guys that have been around a particular scene for a while, the act is solid with a large number of fans can get good festival bookings.

I'm not sure how it works for new guys starting out 

Blue

For sure. In my experience, established bands would be further up the order while newer bands would be playing earlier in the day, or possibly on one of the smaller stages if it is a multi-stage event. Where I am it is common for more established band to take a newer band out with them as a support act, and the whole networking thing kicks in with bands recommending each other for festival slots or multi-band events like biker rallies etc.

Even if you have one of those terrible gigs , you just have to chalk it down to experience and learn from it for the next time. I can’t understand why for some musicians it’s a breaking point moment and they quit. It’s happened a lot with bands I’ve played in .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Even if you have one of those terrible gigs , you just have to chalk it down to experience and learn from it for the next time. I can’t understand why for some musicians it’s a breaking point moment and they quit. It’s happened a lot with bands I’ve played in .

I totally get it. We had a stinker on Saturday night. Although we went down really well and the audience didn't seem to notice.(and we raised a good wedge for the charity we were supporting) But for me it was 2 hours of hell. I couldn't wait for it to be over. We've got loads of gigs coming up and I'd be quite happy if they were all cancelled. Although I wouldn't / won't quit and drop the rest of the band in it, if I'm still not enjoying it by the time the gigs we already have booked are done I think I'm just going to call it a day. 

For me, the only real stinker has to have three things go wrong at the same time: a bad performance, a bad sound and an indifferent/absent crowd. Any two of those three doesn't really count, as I enjoy the other one enough to not bring me down. And, thinking on, I'm not sure I can recall the last time that was the case...

17 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m not in your shoes, so I don’t fully empathise with all the pressures you’re under to persevere, but reading that, my initial thoughts are that life is too short to tolerate something you hate that much for so long. I would have been gone weeks ago.

The weird thing is, I actually really enjoy being in a band. We're all mates, we get on great, I love the making music part of it. I just don't enjoy gigging. While for most people, gigging is the pinnacle, or even the whole reason for being in a band, for me it's the least enjoyable part. I'm still fairly new to it all so I'm hoping it's something that will change with experience. Maybe I just need to relax more and enjoy the process. As things currently stand I just find it really stressful. Which kind of defeats the point as it was supposed to be just a fun hobby. 

12 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Is it a kind of ‘stagefright’ or performance anxiety thing you’re suffering from then?

Not really. I get slightly nervous before we go on, but not to the point where it's unbearable. I just don't seem to be able to relax into the gig. It just doesn't come naturally which maybe I hoped it would. I do spend a lot of the gig worrying about cocking things up. So maybe I'm just overthinking things too much. I'm hoping it's something that will improve with experience. 

13 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Not really. I get slightly nervous before we go on, but not to the point where it's unbearable. I just don't seem to be able to relax into the gig. It just doesn't come naturally which maybe I hoped it would. I do spend a lot of the gig worrying about cocking things up. So maybe I'm just overthinking things too much. I'm hoping it's something that will improve with experience. 

if I worried about my kock ups, I'd never set foot on a stage again :lol:, truth is, hardly anybody (in the crowd) notices them

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

An old band of mine suffered a bit from, not exactly this, but a fear that when something goes wrong everything would fall apart (largely driven by the two least experienced musicians)

We cured it by consciously working on what to do when somebody made a mistake - if the singer misses a cue (about 95% of the mistakes) then we go with him even if it means missing a solo or middle 8; if the drummer misses a beat then we carry on but listen to him and pick up the beat if he doesn't immediately catch up with us; if the bass player starts in the wrong key then the guitarist will shout in his face until he gets into the right key (me being the guitarist in that band), etc. 

Just knowing that the band could cope with whatever happened released a lot of the tension, especially from the singer, who then made fewer mistakes as a consequence.

It happens to everybody, 90% of the time the audience don't spot it (unless the singer really messes up a song that they know)

• Thanks 2

Just now, Quilly said:

I hate those gigs where you just want it to be over.

I've only had one of those. I've no idea how long it lasted, I imagine my band mates cut it short. I was on drums and kept going out of time due to a severe concussion

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cheddatom said:

I've only had one of those. I've no idea how long it lasted, I imagine my band mates cut it short. I was on drums and kept going out of time due to a severe concussion

I played a gig in Jan and the LG and signer were seriously out with each other. The tension was unbearable, I thought it was going to come to blows. 

30 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

You're not supposed to start the gig by headbutting the Chinese Gong.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Quilly said:

I hate those gigs where you just want it to be over.

Only had one of those, and that was when the singer/guitarist was as p!ssed as a mattress.... fortunately, so were most of the punters.