Why become a member? ×

Most unusual / obscure song you play

HeavyJay

We did "Nature Boy" by Nick Cave and the Badseeds for a while. If only because it contained the lines ...

You took me back to your place
And dressed me up in a deep sea diver's suit
You played the patriot, you raised the flag
And I stood at full salute

We did get asked for "something Spanish" on one night so we introduced "Brown Eye Girl" by Juan Morrison...

(no, they didn't laugh either)

Not obscure, but utterly out of context for the setting....

I've re-arranged Bat Out Of Hell for two acoustic guitars and voice, and we're going to start ripping it out at our acoustic shows. I'm (apologies for being a 6-string traitor) playing all the fun guitar bits and can't wait :)

[quote name='misrule' post='353338' date='Dec 13 2008, 07:26 AM']We do the theme from The Simpsons[/quote]
That is our current "short blast" into "White Punks on Dope" by The Tubes. Previously it was a medley of "The Pink Panther Theme" into "Hawaii50" into "The Sweeney" and prior to that "Mission Impossible" got in there somewhere. Always good to get a pub singing WPOD and watching the odd Tubes fan that always seems to be at every gig sidle up at the break and ask for another :huh:

We did "Talk to ya later" and "Out of the business" by The Tubes for a while but they have been dropped more recently - shame but as ever I was outvoted :) .

Just resurrected "High Road Easy" by Sass Jordan and "House of Love" by Skin and have have been doing a heavier version of "Wayward Son" by Kansas, which if the sound guy [i][u]ever[/u][/i] manages to get the ADAT working at a gig I may mix and post one day.

Our intention when we stopped doing the originals and the bluesy set was to do good rock songs that we enjoyed that other bands on the circuit didn't play. That has slowly slid out of the window and the standard fodder has slid in.

We do a cover of Goldfinger's cover of Rio by Duran Duran.

Also a cover of Simple Plan's cover of Happy Together by the Turtles.

Edit: and our very own cover of The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News but in a similar stylee to the above.

Edited by clauster

[quote name='Musky' post='353392' date='Dec 13 2008, 10:06 AM']Whoa - I want to see your band. :)[/quote]
Cheers Musky, we used to do the intro to 'For Those About To Rock' too, but playing one of our own songs after that was just embarrassing, building the kids up like that, only to launch into utter rubbish.

Check [url="http://www.myspace.com/evolvecore"]Evolve[/url] for our own sh*te.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='353647' date='Dec 13 2008, 03:36 PM']Mr Brownstone by guns n roses. Not really unusual as such but it's not an obvious choice of cover from guns n roses![/quote]
That was our first G'n'R cover followed by You will Be Mine

We do a song called 'How To Save a Life' which is the theme tune to some US medical drama but I haven't a clue which band did it originaly?

Also, like Clauster's band, we get a lot of fun out of doing a cover of a cover, so for example, we do 'Mrs Robinson' by The Lemonheads.. Or a version of 'Tainted Love that mixes the Marilyn Manson and Pussycat Dolls versions...

So much more fun to play and keeps the punters interested!

I do and have done a couple of weird tunes i guess. In the Circus of sound band we play the Knightrider theme in a funky style, we also do a Ska over the Seven nation army B-line (on our myspace below). We've recently been dabbling with the b-line form Roni Size's Brown paper bag too-thats good fun to play!

In my old funk band we used to do a funky version of an obscure Gong song called 'Take a little trip' that segued into a slowed down and trippy Hendrix's Band of Gypsies 'Who knows' (The whole thing i think was supposed to replicate an LSD experience ish). :)
As for recent bass lines that i thought was fun but a bit odd, Madness's 'House of fun' has to be up there-i learned it but never used it.

My new electronica dubby band Dub synergy have just been dabbling with a drum n bass version of Massive Attack's 'Safe from Harm' but using more bass from the original Billy Cobham's 'Stratus' (The chorus and outro riffs) tune...great repetitive riff but '[i]gor blimey governor[/i]' its a hard one on the wrists (RSI)-you know the one!!! :huh:

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='BigRedX' post='353161' date='Dec 12 2008, 09:35 PM']Class!

Saw YMG at the Boat Club in Nottingham in 1980. One of my all-time favourite gigs.[/quote]

Unfortunately never got to see em myself. Didn't really catch on to how good they were until 81-82ish.

Talking of obscure - caught the Human League in Sheffield last night and they pulled 'Empire State Human' out of the bag. Nice one.