Why become a member? ×

More Wood!

Jabba_the_gut

I was away this weekend with my family for a trip to Chester Zoo. We stopped at a farm shop just outside for a cuppa and a nice slice of cake. There was an antiques place next door that had these slabs of wood - I'm told it is mahogany, and it certainly looks like it under the varnish. 45mm thick - a few screw holes but they can be avoided. Couldn't resist, had to fit a couple of pieces into the car boot as it was cheap (£25 for both bits) !!!

L3o7xJ0.jpg

• Like 4

I'm hoping to make 2 bodies from this - one natural finish and one painted. The painted one will be where I can't avoid the existing holes in the remaining wood. I was told the wood is quite old so should be pretty good. 

There's still 6 pieces of this left it  - need a bigger car next time!!

Nice score! It's harder to find thicker stuff like that, it's often 20 mm ish. If it's genuinely old (early 1900s) it'll likely be Honduran and way better than what you can get nowadays. If it's a bit later from like the 60's onwards it could be Sapele....I'm obviously generalising a bit here. If you've worked with Sapele before you'll recognise the smell.