Why become a member? ×

Osmonds Crazy Horses request

dmccombe7

49 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not up to speed on Audacity software but is that a serious option that i could do. I don't mind trying that myself but just didn't think that could be done.

Yes, that is a serious option. Last time I tried Audacity, admittedly long ago, it would allow you to chop off bits of indescript length. You might need a paid version to be allowed to store the result as an mp3 though.
There's a workaround in you just play the track in some sort of player, and record the first bit into something else, like a pedal for one shot stuff or a Waldorf Quantum or a Synclavier or... 😁

As to the drums in the background: So What?
I don't see any need to try and edit them out. It's just a sample. The drummer doesn't even need to cue in, IMHO.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

don't think that'll work very well, there's no point in the song were there's not something else, like drums, going off in the background

Our own drummer would be playing the drum part when i trigger the siren from a JamMan pedal but i understand what you meant. Its a possibilty that we use the original and the drummer comes in when the sample is finished or even plays over the top of the original.

Dave

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

IMO Off Topic is for stuff that isn't music related, and General discussion is probably the best place for this question as almost everyone will actually see it.

Back when the single was originally released, The Osmonds were on a UK TV program demonstrating how the Crazy Horses effect was done, so if you can track down that you should be able to extract the sound without anything on top of it, as the record itself has drums over the intro which you would need to mask out.

IIRC the device used was a keyboard with a Ribbon Controller (could well have been a Yamaha, they were keen on ribbon controllers) mounted along the top which was used to modulate the pitch of the sound and created the over the top vibrato at the end of each "note". You could probably do it in a DAW that allows you to draw in the controller data to manipulate the plug-in synth of your choice. 

Good luck.

Found it and the first run on the keys has no drums. Will try sampling that Cheers for that.

32 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Our own drummer would be playing the drum part when i trigger the siren from a JamMan pedal but i understand what you meant. Its a possibilty that we use the original and the drummer comes in when the sample is finished or even plays over the top of the original.

Dave

you'd probably get away with that, the drums are low in the mix

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Yes, that is a serious option. Last time I tried Audacity, admittedly long ago, it would allow you to chop off bits of indescript length. You might need a paid version to be allowed to store the result as an mp3 though.

Audacity - easy to use to lop bits off or extract bits. Will import and export WAV and MP3, nothing to pay. In fact, there's no such thing as a paid version of Audacity, you'll be pleased to hear.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Audacity - easy to use to lop bits off or extract bits. Will import and export WAV and MP3, nothing to pay. In fact, there's no such thing as a paid version of Audacity, you'll be pleased to hear.

Can you remove the drums from the intro kind of thing tho ?

14 minutes ago, tauzero said:

No, that's something it can't do. Don't know if anything could, can't see it being an easy thing to do.

Thought that might be the case. I could do the cutting on my JamMan spftware package so no point in downloading Audacity then. Thanks for your help and advice.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Can you remove the drums from the intro kind of thing tho ?

Not easily, but there are a couple of techniques you could try.

You could see if the drum hits are in a differently place when the run repeats and cobble something together by cutting and pasting sections with no drums over sections with drums.

Alternatively you could run the whole sample through a high pass filter to remove as much of the drum thuds as you can without affecting the keyboard sound. Then if the drums are still noticeable cut the sections where they are audible out completely, cross-fade the join and stretch the whole sample back out to the original length without shifting the pitch.

I doubt any of these methods will be able to completely remove the drums without leaving other noticeable artefacts, but you might get something that will do the job well enough.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Joking aside, one of these new Stylophone re-boots might get close.

Stylophone Gen X.1 with Line Out, all-important portamento strip, LFO, sub-octaves and delay - £60 from Amazon and other stores. Review vids on YT

2094052963_stylophonegenx1.jpg.f231fca3960988ad959eba301235f8a0.jpg

That's not too bad to be honest. The slider is demo'd around 1:22 I could see that working.

£60 for one sample tho maybe a bit steep but might check ebay. You never know.

Dave

2 minutes ago, peteb said:

Guitar with a Floyd Rose, hit the appropriate harmonics then pull the (floating) bar up - that's how an old band of mine used to do it...! 

I've seen someone do it like that on Youtube Pete. It might end up like that even if i sample the guitarist doing it once i can then set it up on my JamMan where i can trigger it from my pedal when he's playing the heavy guitar riff.

9 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've seen someone do it like that on Youtube Pete. It might end up like that even if i sample the guitarist doing it once i can then set it up on my JamMan where i can trigger it from my pedal when he's playing the heavy guitar riff.

Wonder if it was us?? 

If he's got the right gear (and preferably spent the 80s / 90s playing in hard rock bands) it should be easy enough for him to just play it - it was meat & drink to the guy I used to play with... 

7 minutes ago, peteb said:

Wonder if it was us?? 

If he's got the right gear (and preferably spent the 80s / 90s playing in hard rock bands) it should be easy enough for him to just play it - it was meat & drink to the guy I used to play with... 

Guitarist uses a Les Paul tho but agree most rock guitarists from a certain age group should manage this with a whammy bar.