Why become a member? ×

Osmonds Crazy Horses request

dmccombe7

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We are doing Crazy Horses but can't seem to reproduce the keys siren at the start. I generally trigger all effects with my JamMan pedal. 

Does anyone have an MP3 sample of it by any chance that they would send me. ?

Dave

Can't you sample one of the local nags?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ashweb said:

I'm not an expert in these matters by a long way, but with a quick dig on Google, I found this...

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2126414/Crazy_Horses_Osmonds_keyboard_

There's a lot of chaff in there, but maybe some wheat too.  Hope it helps.

Went thru that thread and it tells the OP how to produce the sound using a synth but no actual sound clips i could use. I've tried several searches but still no accurate copy. I have found a synth copy but its not exactly rivetting stuff but would do as a last resort if i added some kind of effects to it

Thanks 

Dave

1 minute ago, Hobbayne said:

We do this one. We dont actually bother with that bit, we just start it off with the drums on their own.

We thought it was a bit naff anyway. 💩

That's how we did it at rehearsals but would be good to get the original siren sound if possible.

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think it was a Yamaha ?? 30 keyboard or something similar with a portamento strip.

Dave

In the vids, Donny playbacks on a Yamaha YC-30 indeed.
Remarks by the band suggest that the same organ was used during the recording of the song, but I've always felt doubtful as I've never been able to recreate the sound on Ribbon Controller-equipped organs, and have never heard anyone else do it.
Can't help with an mp3. Sorry.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Thanks 1

Just having listened to the effect, I now think they used the Yamaha organ after all (and my doubt was about me forgetting I'd never owned organs with that sound character).
It would be easy to reproduce on many synths with the mod wheel set to one or two octaves (haven't checked the exact amount, but one of them should do), and have the base organ sound as one of those sixties combo organs, which means a bit sharp and raspy. 

Since you ask about an mp3, you could easily make an mp3 yourself by importing the song into Audacity or similar, and remove everything that is not the intro. It's as easy as making a statue of an elephant! (*) 😉

(*) For the uninitiated: you start with a large block of granite, and then simply chop away anything that doesn't resemble an elephant. Done.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raymondo said:

Try moving this to the General Discussion forum ( it is music related after all)

@BigRedX may have an Idea...he seems very knowledgeable on effects and keyboards etc.

I don't think he visits Off Topic very often.

Good luck.

I put it in OFF TOPIC cause it wasn't really bass related. Sometimes its a difficult call which topic somethings should be in and i just played it safe.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Just having listened to the effect, I now think they used the Yamaha organ after all (and my doubt was about me forgetting I'd never owned organs with that sound character).
It would be easy to reproduce on many synths with the mod wheel set to one or two octaves (haven't checked the exact amount, but one of them should do), and have the base organ sound as one of those sixties spinet organs, which means a bit sharp and raspy. 

Since you ask about an mp3, you could easily make an mp3 yourself by importing the song into Audacity or similar, and remove everything that is not the intro. It's as easy as making a statue of an elephant! (*) 😉

(*) For the uninitiated: you start with a large block of granite, and then simply chop away anything that doesn't resemble an elephant. Done.

Not up to speed on Audacity software but is that a serious option that i could do. I don't mind trying that myself but just didn't think that could be done.

9 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I put it in OFF TOPIC cause it wasn't really bass related. Sometimes its a difficult call which topic somethings should be in and i just played it safe.

IMO Off Topic is for stuff that isn't music related, and General discussion is probably the best place for this question as almost everyone will actually see it.

Back when the single was originally released, The Osmonds were on a UK TV program demonstrating how the Crazy Horses effect was done, so if you can track down that you should be able to extract the sound without anything on top of it, as the record itself has drums over the intro which you would need to mask out.

IIRC the device used was a keyboard with a Ribbon Controller (could well have been a Yamaha, they were keen on ribbon controllers) mounted along the top which was used to modulate the pitch of the sound and created the over the top vibrato at the end of each "note". You could probably do it in a DAW that allows you to draw in the controller data to manipulate the plug-in synth of your choice. 

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not up to speed on Audacity software but is that a serious option that i could do. I don't mind trying that myself but just didn't think that could be done.

don't think that'll work very well, there's no point in the song were there's not something else, like drums, going off in the background